(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
A. Nony Mouse

Re: Not a single soft

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:47 pm

Danger Zone wrote:What about the other 150 law schools? I'd venture a guess that the elite law schools skew toward a much higher percentage of their class having WE.

I actually think it's the other way around - the lower down the food chain, the more part-time programs you have, so more WE; more non-trads, that kind of thing (I have read that LSAT scores tend to skew lower according to years out of school, so older --> lower LSAT --> lower-ranked school). Though it probably just varies by school (my lower T1 had, I would say, as many people with WE than not; a prof of mine who used to teach at another lower T1 said they had almost none).

VegasLaw702

Postby VegasLaw702 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:19 pm

Last edited by VegasLaw702 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

californiabeauar

Postby californiabeauar » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:22 am

law schools don't give a single shit.

high LSAT and a solid GPA is all you really need

WhiskeynCoke

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:38 am

VegasLaw702 wrote:My question pertained to "traditional" softs (although the title of the post is a bit more general). While I would consider WE a soft, I wouldn't consider it a traditional soft in the same category as things like volunteering, extra curriculars, church participation (I know a bunch of people who have listed this on their apps, which is why I mentioned it) etc. I'm aware that WE would be looked at as a soft. I was more concerned with my lack of TRADITIONAL softs and how it might look on my application, since I'm sure many applicants will have at least some work experience, and traditional softs like the ones mentioned above would probably help distinguish an applicant just little bit more.

As for why I'm now considering law? I've been considering law the whole time, I just put my UG on hold for a while to cash in on the opportunity I had to move up in the ranks.

1. It doesn't matter what "you consider." The only thing that matters is what adcoms think. Substantial, meaningful, leadership-oriented WE >>>> "Church participation, volunteering, etc...." Get this through your head.
2. Your friends all included this other shit on their resumes because they had to fill the page SOMEHOW. The summer job at Banana Republic and helping Uncle John roof the house weren't quite cutting it. Fluff is fluff.
3. If A BUNCH of people have these so called "traditional softs" on their resumes, how is it that these common inclusions will help "distinguish" the applicant? If everyone does it, it's not distinguishing. YOUR WE WILL DISTINGUISH YOU.
4. I still don't understand how you think "participating in church" and "volunteering" demonstrates a greater potential as a lawyer/law student than 8 years of WE in a leadership position. Any schmuck with a pulse can serve lunch at a soup kitchen.
5. Stating HOW LONG you've wanted law for doesn't answer the question of WHY you want law.
6. Oh yea and LSAT>>GPA>>>>>>>>>>>>>Everything else. You're over-thinking this.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”