High School student: Undergrad advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
howlery

Re: High School student: Undergrad advice

Postby howlery » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:59 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Especially for a high school kid. If you waste your college years getting a stupid major, even if you get a 4.0, you might flunk the LSAT hard. And then you really can't be a lawyer and you have a wasted degree.

And even if you get into a school worht going to, tuition will be like 80K by the time you'd start. And you'll have 350K in debt at graduation at the rate things are going. And the top end salaries will still probably only be 160K.

The OP has already said that they don't intend on going to law school unless its a T14 with a scholarship or HYS FWIW. Do people with 4.0s even pay sticker? I guess if they bomb the LSAT?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:05 pm

howlery wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Especially for a high school kid. If you waste your college years getting a stupid major, even if you get a 4.0, you might flunk the LSAT hard. And then you really can't be a lawyer and you have a wasted degree.

And even if you get into a school worht going to, tuition will be like 80K by the time you'd start. And you'll have 350K in debt at graduation at the rate things are going. And the top end salaries will still probably only be 160K.

The OP has already said that they don't intend on going to law school unless its a T14 with a scholarship or HYS FWIW. Do people with 4.0s even pay sticker? I guess if they bomb the LSAT?

4.0s will pay sticker if they go to the best school they can possibly get into.

And if OP is relying on getting a T14 with a massive scholarship, he's going to spend 4 years HOPING he can get a 170+ on his LSAT.

JUST DO HOPE YOU ARE SMARTER THAN 98% of LAW APPLICANTS

Flacco4815

Postby Flacco4815 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:01 pm

thanks for the help everyone. As I've said, I know the law market sucks and don't plan to put all my eggs in the law school basket. I'll be doing a poli sci econ (or business) double major and am going to make sure I don't slack off and get as close to a 4.0 as possible. I feel like everyone with bad GPAs has it happen because of dicking off freshman year so I'll focus. FWIW, I looked up some LSAT questions and did like 4 or 5 and got them right. I know this means absolutely nothing but just a cursory glance of it makes it seem manageable if I study. But again, if I get a 160 or something I won't go. I still am curious what the Baltimore law market is like if anyone has insight.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:29 pm

Flacco4815 wrote: I looked up some LSAT questions and did like 4 or 5 and got them right.

Flacco4815 wrote:this means absolutely nothing

eric922

Postby eric922 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:06 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
howlery wrote:

4.0s will pay sticker if they go to the best school they can possibly get into.

And if OP is relying on getting a T14 with a massive scholarship, he's going to spend 4 years HOPING he can get a 170+ on his LSAT.

JUST DO HOPE YOU ARE SMARTER THAN 98% of LAW APPLICANTS

Well not necessary smarter. Harder working perhaps or better suited to how the LSAT wants you to think.

Ben Franklin

Postby Ben Franklin » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:53 am

If you rush too fast into college and law school, you will be bitter later in life at the fact that you gave your youth up to study. I will be 27 when I enter my 1L year, and I am glad I waited. I gained a lot of work experience, life experience, and party experience. Like you, I wanted to rush rush rush (even graduated high school a year early so I could get a jump start). But once I got into the real world and talked to people who had been there and done that, I realized that there is no reason to rush. Trust me, you will regret it if you do.

star fox

Postby star fox » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:32 pm

Ben Franklin wrote:If you rush too fast into college and law school, you will be bitter later in life at the fact that you gave your youth up to study. I will be 27 when I enter my 1L year, and I am glad I waited. I gained a lot of work experience, life experience, and party experience. Like you, I wanted to rush rush rush (even graduated high school a year early so I could get a jump start). But once I got into the real world and talked to people who had been there and done that, I realized that there is no reason to rush. Trust me, you will regret it if you do.

I think you're right but at what point does one become "too old" to enter Law School? Obviously 27 is nowhere close to that age and your life/work experience will probably give you a leg up.. but I can't imagine there's too many 40 year old Summer Associates... or am I wrong in this assumption? Anyone with legal hiring experience care to shed light on this?

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:43 pm

john7234797 wrote:
I think you're right but at what point does one become "too old" to enter Law School?

anyone 30+

or someone who has a solid career at something and is considering law school just to "try something new" when in fact they could switch to an entirely different job.

Ben Franklin

Postby Ben Franklin » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:25 pm

john7234797 wrote:
Ben Franklin wrote:If you rush too fast into college and law school, you will be bitter later in life at the fact that you gave your youth up to study. I will be 27 when I enter my 1L year, and I am glad I waited. I gained a lot of work experience, life experience, and party experience. Like you, I wanted to rush rush rush (even graduated high school a year early so I could get a jump start). But once I got into the real world and talked to people who had been there and done that, I realized that there is no reason to rush. Trust me, you will regret it if you do.

I think you're right but at what point does one become "too old" to enter Law School? Obviously 27 is nowhere close to that age and your life/work experience will probably give you a leg up.. but I can't imagine there's too many 40 year old Summer Associates... or am I wrong in this assumption? Anyone with legal hiring experience care to shed light on this?

Well I suppose drawing the line for being "too old" would depend on what that person wanted to accomplish after getting out of law school. I'm pretty sure biglaw would be harder to break into, as those firms tend to look for fresh meat that they can burn out with tons of hours. However, I've found that a good majority of "older" law grads find success practicing family law, which can be quite lucrative. People probably wouldn't want a kid in their late 20s handling their divorce and/or custody case.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:08 pm

UMBC might be the lamest place on earth, broski. Go to UMD. If you were choosing between Towson or St. Mary's and UMD it might be different but whatever you do, don't go to UMBC.

Flacco4815

Postby Flacco4815 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:47 pm

I kinda take the UMBC is lame critique as valid but a little oversold. Yeah, just from tours and knowing people that go there its a little nerdy but I have friends that go there and they say it's what you make of it. I know tons of kids that go to UMD that end up in community college next semester because they flunked out. Obviously college park has a more party atmosphere, and not saying I'm gonna be a complete introvert but I'm also not planning on going out every weekend. I chose to attend UMBC because I was accepted into their public affairs scholars program and received a substantial merit scholarship. Thanks for the advice everyone! I doubt I'll be posting for awhile but I'll come back as my post UG plans come more into focus.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:49 pm

Just go enjoy college while you can. Get involved in things you enjoy and keep your grades up. Also start cultivating good relationships with professors/mentors for future letters of recommendation or even just for your own benefit.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”