Law School Dilemma: The finale

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Which School

Poll ended at Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:55 pm

University of Iowa
25%
WashU
10%
Boston College
5%
GW
10%
University of Illinois
50%

Total votes: 20

tparil2

Law School Dilemma: The finale

Postby tparil2 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:55 pm

Alright, I asked like a month ago which school I should go to. I think I am going to Iowa, unless I can be persuaded by the all-knowing TLS Community. Here are my options....

1. University of Iowa:Basically full tuition scholarship at Iowa Approx Cost $50K- 72K (Depending if I get instate residency before my second year, the scholarship pays one full year of out-of-state tuition than two years in-state [I would need to work in Iowa or for the law school]) I would attempt to work in Chicago because cornfields...

2. WashU: $15k per year (would attempt to work in Chicago or St. Louis. Approx Cost $145Kish.

3. Boston College: 15K per year ( I would attempt to work in Boston) Approx Cost $145Kish.

4. GW: Full sticker Approx Cost....a lot. I would attempt to work in Washington D.C. or elsewhere on the East Cost.

5. University of Illinois: 75% tuition scholarship (resident) and I would attempt to work in Chicago. Approx cost $73K.

Please be kind TLS.

PRgradBYU

Re: Law School Dilemma: The finale

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:14 pm

Where do you have ties to?

tparil2

Postby tparil2 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:18 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:Where do you have ties to?

I grew up in the suburbs outside of Chicago. I am an intern at a 40 lawyer litigation firm in Chicago. I worked their last summer, over winter break, and I will be working there over this summer. I went to school at the University of Illinois. I have family in Boston and D.C.

I also think I want to work in litigation, but I can't say for sure if that's what I will want to do for the next 30 years. I know I do not want to work in criminal law.

tparil2

Postby tparil2 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:20 pm

I am also not thrilled with the number of major scandals Illinois has faced over the last four years including the two involving their law school last year (part of the reason why their rank dropped so much)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”