Accepted at TT with full scholarship...would you reapply?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
2curmudgeony
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:56 am

Accepted at TT with full scholarship...would you reapply?

Postby 2curmudgeony » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:47 am

Accepted at UCLA, no $
and a tier 2, full scholarship.

3.3/168
softs (?): top Ivy undergrad, 4 years out, public interest/civil rights background

Wondering if it's worthwhile to reapply and try to crack top 14.

eric922
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:05 pm

Re: Accepted at TT with full scholarship...would you reapply?

Postby eric922 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:51 am

2curmudgeony wrote:Accepted at UCLA, no $
and a tier 2, full scholarship.

3.3/168
softs (?): top Ivy undergrad, 4 years out, public interest/civil rights background

Wondering if it's worthwhile to reapply and try to crack top 14.

Can you retake? If you get 2 more points on the LSAT you would have good chances of cracking the T-14.

2curmudgeony
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:56 am

Re: Accepted at TT with full scholarship...would you reapply?

Postby 2curmudgeony » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:13 am

I can retake...I'm not in a rush to go. Just not sure which schools would be worth giving up a free ride for.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Accepted at TT with full scholarship...would you reapply?

Postby TripTrip » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:20 am

eric922 wrote:
2curmudgeony wrote:Accepted at UCLA, no $
and a tier 2, full scholarship.

3.3/168
softs (?): top Ivy undergrad, 4 years out, public interest/civil rights background

Wondering if it's worthwhile to reapply and try to crack top 14.

Can you retake? If you get 2 more points on the LSAT you would have good chances of cracking the T-14.

Georgetown maybe. 3.3 is a little low, even for a splitter.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Accepted at TT with full scholarship...would you reapply?

Postby North » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:24 am

TripTrip wrote:Georgetown maybe. 3.3 is a little low, even for a splitter.


With a 170+, a 3.3 only 100% locks him out of HYS (eta: and maybe Columbia).

2curmudgeony wrote:I can retake...I'm not in a rush to go. Just not sure which schools would be worth giving up a free ride for.

Then absolutely retake. Your current options aren't worth it and you don't have far to go from the 168.

Where do you have ties?

Where do you want to live/work?

What job do you want that you need a JD for?

Why can't you hustle with your Ivy BA instead of going to law school? You probably have better options than paying $250k to jump on this sinking ship of a profession.
Last edited by North on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

reverendt
Posts: 499
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:56 am

Re: Accepted at TT with full scholarship...would you reapply?

Postby reverendt » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:24 am

What T2, is it where you want to live, and is ther a stipulation?

Lumieres
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:57 pm

Re: Accepted at TT with full scholarship...would you reapply?

Postby Lumieres » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:26 pm

reverendt wrote:What T2, is it where you want to live, and is ther a stipulation?


+1

Which tier two? Regardless, I would strongly consider going with the full ride if I was in your position.

2curmudgeony
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:56 am

Re: Accepted at TT with full scholarship...would you reapply?

Postby 2curmudgeony » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:14 pm

So basically, I'm very interested in the TT (and the scholarship) as a hedge against the brutal law market.

I'm not really interested in big law, and the TT is in the state I'd like to work. To be honest, one of my main reasons for applying to school is because I work in an industry where you eventually top out if you don't have a law degree. I don't know if I want to stay in the industry forever, and it may be that the legal market goes even more to pieces in the future. But in that case, I can at least shrug law school off because, hey, it was free.

On the other hand, obviously a higher-ranked school is better, and I feel like getting in is very achievable. The main thing that I'm having the most trouble with is giving up this scholarship to be able to apply again.

I'd rather not mention which TT....I'm a little bit paranoid about these things, in case I do reapply and need to be accepted again. Let's call it #25.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Accepted at TT with full scholarship...would you reapply?

Postby hephaestus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:17 pm

Name the school so we can help you. You can always edit so it's not searchable after the fact. There such a huge range of TTs that its hard to answer.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Accepted at TT with full scholarship...would you reapply?

Postby TripTrip » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:12 am

2curmudgeony wrote:So basically, I'm very interested in the TT (and the scholarship) as a hedge against the brutal law market.

I'm not really interested in big law, and the TT is in the state I'd like to work. To be honest, one of my main reasons for applying to school is because I work in an industry where you eventually top out if you don't have a law degree. I don't know if I want to stay in the industry forever, and it may be that the legal market goes even more to pieces in the future. But in that case, I can at least shrug law school off because, hey, it was free.

On the other hand, obviously a higher-ranked school is better, and I feel like getting in is very achievable. The main thing that I'm having the most trouble with is giving up this scholarship to be able to apply again.

I'd rather not mention which TT....I'm a little bit paranoid about these things, in case I do reapply and need to be accepted again. Let's call it #25.

That is too vague to be useful. We can tell you nothing based on that.

It's too bad you can't create some sort of anonymous online account that would be difficult to trace back to you personally which you could use to ask questions online about the school you want to go to.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Accepted at TT with full scholarship...would you reapply?

Postby Ti Malice » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:58 am

2curmudgeony wrote:I'd rather not mention which TT....I'm a little bit paranoid about these things, in case I do reapply and need to be accepted again. Let's call it #25.


If you withdraw and reapply with a new LSAT score, they'll know just as much about your intentions then as they will from anything you say here.

We can't provide very good advice without knowing the school. Not all T2s are created equal.

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: Accepted at TT with full scholarship...would you reapply?

Postby cahwc12 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:30 am

2curmudgeony wrote:So basically, I'm very interested in the TT (and the scholarship) as a hedge against the brutal law market.

I'm not really interested in big law, and the TT is in the state I'd like to work. To be honest, one of my main reasons for applying to school is because I work in an industry where you eventually top out if you don't have a law degree. I don't know if I want to stay in the industry forever, and it may be that the legal market goes even more to pieces in the future. But in that case, I can at least shrug law school off because, hey, it was free.

On the other hand, obviously a higher-ranked school is better, and I feel like getting in is very achievable. The main thing that I'm having the most trouble with is giving up this scholarship to be able to apply again.

I'd rather not mention which TT....I'm a little bit paranoid about these things, in case I do reapply and need to be accepted again. Let's call it #25.


Without that necessary information it's difficult to tell you. But if it's a strong regional school with good employment outcomes, you aren't going to beat that no matter what your LSAT is. The fact that you got a full ride anywhere with a 3.3/168 is pretty impressive.

Just to correct one mistake you have in your logic though--law school for free tuition isn't free. You have to pay COL for three years which may or may not be significantly higher than you currently pay and you'll be unemployed for three years.

2curmudgeony
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:56 am

Re: Accepted at TT with full scholarship...would you reapply?

Postby 2curmudgeony » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:50 pm

It's UC Davis

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Accepted at TT with full scholarship...would you reapply?

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:34 pm

2curmudgeony wrote:It's UC Davis


oh gawd, no, that school is not worth going to, even with a full ride

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: Accepted at TT with full scholarship...would you reapply?

Postby cahwc12 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:51 pm

2curmudgeony wrote:It's UC Davis


I really think you're lying.

User avatar
Shammis
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: Accepted at TT with full scholarship...would you reapply?

Postby Shammis » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:03 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
2curmudgeony wrote:It's UC Davis


oh gawd, no, that school is not worth going to, even with a full ride


It really, really isn't. Don't do it.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Accepted at TT with full scholarship...would you reapply?

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:05 pm

Shammis wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:
2curmudgeony wrote:It's UC Davis


oh gawd, no, that school is not worth going to, even with a full ride


It really, really isn't. Don't do it.


california legal market is TTTT

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Accepted at TT with full scholarship...would you reapply?

Postby TripTrip » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:19 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:california legal market is TTTT

Cali legal market is just saturated on account of all the better law schools in the state.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Accepted at TT with full scholarship...would you reapply?

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:23 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:california legal market is TTTT

Cali legal market is just saturated on account of all the better law schools in the state.


not really, it's on account of all the T14 going to california firms.

claudenm
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:52 pm

Re: Accepted at TT with full scholarship...would you reapply?

Postby claudenm » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:39 pm

2curmudgeony wrote:So basically, I'm very interested in the TT (and the scholarship) as a hedge against the brutal law market.

I'm not really interested in big law, and the TT is in the state I'd like to work. To be honest, one of my main reasons for applying to school is because I work in an industry where you eventually top out if you don't have a law degree. I don't know if I want to stay in the industry forever, and it may be that the legal market goes even more to pieces in the future. But in that case, I can at least shrug law school off because, hey, it was free.

On the other hand, obviously a higher-ranked school is better, and I feel like getting in is very achievable. The main thing that I'm having the most trouble with is giving up this scholarship to be able to apply again.

I'd rather not mention which TT....I'm a little bit paranoid about these things, in case I do reapply and need to be accepted again. Let's call it #25.



Hi!

You sound like me in 2009. I got into a bunch of TT schools without money. I think the highest ranked one was USC, but I was also in at WUSTL, BC, BU and similar. I had a 167 /3.5. I decided to take a full scholly from Temple, a strong regional school over $200k at higher ranked schools, also as a hedge. I also knew I didn't want biglaw. As it turns out, the market was shittier than I thought, and I decided to drop out midway through 2L because I knew I wasn't going to get a legal job by being in the top 30% if the class without connections to the area (which I lacked). My advice to you is retake. Get in the 170s and get a full scholly to one of the schools ranked 25 or greater-- if you even go to school at all.

Best,

Claude

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Accepted at TT with full scholarship...would you reapply?

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:43 pm

claudenm wrote:

Hi!

You sound like me in 2009. I got into a bunch of TT schools without money. I think the highest ranked one was USC, but I was also in at WUSTL, BC, BU and similar. I had a 167 /3.5. I decided to take a full scholly from Temple, a strong regional school over $200k at higher ranked schools, also as a hedge. I also knew I didn't want biglaw. As it turns out, the market was shittier than I thought, and I decided to drop out midway through 2L because I knew I wasn't going to get a legal job by being in the top 30% if the class without connections to the area (which I lacked). My advice to you is retake. Get in the 170s and get a full scholly to one of the schools ranked 25 T14 or greater-- if you even go to school at all.

Best,

Claude

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: Accepted at TT with full scholarship...would you reapply?

Postby cahwc12 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:16 am

claudenm wrote:Hi!

You sound like me in 2009. I got into a bunch of TT schools without money. I think the highest ranked one was USC, but I was also in at WUSTL, BC, BU and similar. I had a 167 /3.5. I decided to take a full scholly from Temple, a strong regional school over $200k at higher ranked schools, also as a hedge. I also knew I didn't want biglaw. As it turns out, the market was shittier than I thought, and I decided to drop out midway through 2L because I knew I wasn't going to get a legal job by being in the top 30% if the class without connections to the area (which I lacked). My advice to you is retake. Get in the 170s and get a full scholly to one of the schools ranked 25 or greater-- if you even go to school at all.

Best,

Claude


While this purports to be good advice, retaking isn't going to do much for him except give him the option to pay sticker at a lower or middle T13, against which the full ride at "UC Davis" is a better option.

That said, I still believe OP to be lying, because it seems super unlikely they would offer a full ride to a <25% GPA applicant when they spurned generous offers to several applicants with much better numbers than OP. No one on LSN has reported a full tuition offer this year or any other year outside of 2011 when it appears UC Davis was on the cusp of dropping some undesirable amount in either median. They admitted ostensibly a pair of applicants off the WL (splitter/reverse splitter) in mid-May and offered them close to full rides. Other than these, and a guy who turned down a need-based full scholarship that UC Davis says is actually just $20k/yr, there have been no full ride offers ever reported in the history of LSN to this school.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 6 guests