What's going on here?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sinfiery

Re: What's going on here?

Postby sinfiery » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:15 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:These schools YP splitters all the time because they don't plan to give those splitters enough money to convince them to attend over higher ranked schools.

Are there some LSN examples that show splitters being YP'd and getting into better schools? I'm legitimately curious.

http://myLSN.info/q9hrgg

Somewhat proof of YP. You never get it with above both median applicants because they never ED but here we do have that data set to an extent

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:24 pm

sinfiery wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:These schools YP splitters all the time because they don't plan to give those splitters enough money to convince them to attend over higher ranked schools.

Are there some LSN examples that show splitters being YP'd and getting into better schools? I'm legitimately curious.

http://myLSN.info/q9hrgg

Somewhat proof of YP. You never get it with above both median applicants because they never ED but here we do have that data set to an extent

What? YP'ing and ED'er makes no sense.

kakistocracy

Postby kakistocracy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:25 pm

174 and 3.6 here, applied late, also got waitlisted at a bunch of places - UVA, Georgetown, Michigan, Chicago. I'm not surprised by it, though, and your cycle doesn't seem unusual either.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:31 pm

The only way to see if the school was YPing or not is to take the same applicant and submit the application ED, which effectively removes the YP risk and in reality, not much else is added to your application.

http://myLSN.info/iaykdt

And here is your proof. Unless you can think of any way in which EDing actually increases your apps merit

And if you apply late
http://myLSN.info/nbk5be

Just give up
Last edited by sinfiery on Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chadbrochill

Postby chadbrochill » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:32 pm

Last edited by chadbrochill on Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:15 am, edited 4 times in total.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:38 pm

My cycle is definitely one example. I don't know if things are different this year with Penn but historically a splitter with a 175+ had about a ten percent chance of getting in there while splitters with a 170-172 had about a 50% chance of getting in. Only considering people with GPA's above the GPA floor, of course.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:00 pm

TripTrip wrote:

I was WL at Penn but in at NYU. Not a huge jump, but...

Also, pretty sure Penn and UVA are the worst for YP, and LSN seems to support that.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:34 pm

sinfiery wrote:The only way to see if the school was YPing or not is to take the same applicant and submit the application ED

That's definitely not the only way to see if YP is in play. Compare the first two results (http://myLSN.info/hy7rck and http://myLSN.info/cowrag) with this last result (http://myLSN.info/ymasl4). It's perfectly clear what's going on here.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:20 pm

Well done. It may not be absolute in that case, but it is way past statistically significant.

chadbrochill

Postby chadbrochill » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:21 am

Last edited by chadbrochill on Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:43 am

You're getting Jammed. It's probably a LOR/PS statement issue. The retakes could matter as well. I'm not sure what goes on with law school admissions, but there is something there. There was a group of us who had similar numbers (not as close to yours; rather, we grouped closely) and we all had really different outcomes.

I'd say be patient and hopefully something good will come. I'm not sure when JMJ started getting in.

fallingup

Postby fallingup » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:03 pm

@chadbro, I have read your PS and there's no way that it's the issue holding you back at all these schools. Do you think there was something negative in one of your LORs?? I had a C&F issue and a lower LSAT than you and I still have netted more acceptances than you. There must be a red flag on your app but what on earth could it be?

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:56 pm

I know someone with 4 takes who had a very similar cycle to you - except he got into GULC with money and finally Columbia after being held. Just be patient, someone will take you.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:11 pm

This was my cycle - first acceptance to NU in late march/early april, in at NYU in late April

Splitters gonna split

beautyistruth

Postby beautyistruth » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:47 am

This is pretty much my cycle. 3.72, 172. In at NYU and Duke with $72,000. Waitlisted at MPV and Georgetown. Held at Columbia. Set to interview with Cornell. (Didn't apply to NU).

I'm happy with NYU and Duke, but I'm perplexed by my lack of options, and particularly disappointed at being held at Columbia.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:34 am

beautyistruth wrote:This is pretty much my cycle. 3.72, 172. In at NYU and Duke with $72,000. Waitlisted at MPV and Georgetown. Held at Columbia. Set to interview with Cornell. (Didn't apply to NU).

I'm happy with NYU and Duke, but I'm perplexed by my lack of options, and particularly disappointed at being held at Columbia.

I've heard rumors about schools giving a bigger bump to people with work experience this cycle (a la business school), and I wonder if that's not in play considering you're K-JD.

Could also be something mundane like a bad PS.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”