Does withdrawing and re-applying after 2 years hurt me? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
elee

New

Does withdrawing and re-applying after 2 years hurt me?

Post by elee » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:53 pm

Hello all, I appreciate your time and would be grateful for a response.

Does anyone know of stories where people have withdrawn an acceptance, then gone ahead to be re-admitted at that same school in future cycles?

I have an acceptance at Columbia I can defer for 2 years, or withdraw. The problem is, I don't know if my commitment will last 2 years or 3. If it is 3 years, I will have to withdraw from my deferral and I assume that will ruin my chances much more.

For a presumably numbers heavy school like CLS, how bad am I hurting myself with a withdrawal now?

3.6x/174

Thank you

dextermorgan

Silver

Re: Does withdrawing and re-applying after 2 years hurt me?

Post by dextermorgan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:59 pm

You will be fine, in fact you may be in a better position with the way admissions are trending.

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:00 pm

Let me start off by saying I know nothing of deferring or withdrawing at CLS, but I have looked into this as I'm in a similar situation. From what I've seen, a withdrawn acceptance doesn't seem to hurt you if you reapply. When you withdraw, give your honest reason for withdrawing and be grateful for the opportunity. That way, should you reapply later, they might take a glance at your previous file to look for things that have changed, maybe even look at why you withdrew before, but in the end will go off of the application you submitted for the current cycle. So long as you don't get lazy and submit the same PS, DS and nothing new on your resume or whatever else that should probably be original and updated, you'll be fine.

elee

New

Post by elee » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:06 pm

Thank you both greatly for your responses. In the end, I don't have much of a choice but to withdraw, but some assurance helps.

I will write them a sincere letter thanking them for the opportunity, explaining my circumstances, and reapply when I am ready.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:52 am

elee wrote:Thank you both greatly for your responses. In the end, I don't have much of a choice but to withdraw, but some assurance helps.

I will write them a sincere letter thanking them for the opportunity, explaining my circumstances, and reapply when I am ready.
Did you call CLS up, explain your situation, and ask to extend the deferral to a third year?

elee

New

Post by elee » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:58 pm

bp shinners wrote:
elee wrote:Thank you both greatly for your responses. In the end, I don't have much of a choice but to withdraw, but some assurance helps.

Did you call CLS up, explain your situation, and ask to extend the deferral to a third year?
The problem is I don't know if 3 years is even the right time frame-I could be ready in two, or four. It's just unfortunate timing that I already put myself out there this cycle, but as it turns out this opportunity has come up and I am not ready to commit a certain date to law school. I have every intention of returning though.

I wrote the email as planned and submitted it, and received a kind update wishing me well. At this point I can only give the next endeavor my all and re-apply to CLS after this experience!

Years from now I will probably remember this thread, and update you all on how my cycle goes after this withdrawal.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”