Law school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
smackdab

Law school

Postby smackdab » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:35 pm

Hi everyone,

I wanted to get some advice about my law school chances, and how I should proceed. Im finishing up my junior year right now. The past 3 years I have been pre-med, but this last year was utterly disastrous. I failed three science courses, and got C's in three others. I finally had a talk with my parents, and told them that I didnt want to continue (I was pre-med largely because of pressure)

Right now my GPA is a 2.6-- obviously this is meaningless, but without my sciences I would have near a 3.5. I am a sociology major, and have a 3.7 in my major GPA.

After this current semester, I will probably have a 2.75 ish. My plan (after talking to my prelaw advisor) is to try and raise my gpa to a 3.0 by the end of my four years.

I was wondering whether it would be wise to do a 5th year to raise my gpa further?

After that, I was planning on working for a couple years at a nonprofit that I am interning at , and then applying.

Obviously the LSAT is really important, but I am confident I can do fairly well.

I know this sounds kind of wishy washy, but any advice or guidance would be appreciated

eric922

Re: Law school

Postby eric922 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:40 pm

Honestly, until you get an LSAT score we are purely speculating, but let's assume you do well and score in the 170s and get a 3.0 GPA. You would have a decent shot at some T14 schools. I know UVA is pretty spilter-friendly.

smackdab

Postby smackdab » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:42 pm

My advisor suggested that I consider transferring as well. I plan on preparing for the LSAT over the next two years.

And thank you for your reply, but what do you mean by spilter?

buddyt

Postby buddyt » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:44 pm

180 thread title/first post.

- You are right about any GPA other than your 2.6 being meaningless
- Pre-law advisors know literally nothing that could help you, so stop working with them immediately and lurk on TLS instead
- You need to get straight A's from now on and get your GPA as high as possible
- Once your GPA has stabilized, get some quality work experience and make some money
- If you still would rather die a thousand deaths than not become a lawyer, start studying for the LSAT like crazy
- You need to crush the LSAT--i.e. above the 75th percentile at all of your target schools--to make up for your GPA
- Come back when you have an LSAT score

Edit:
smackdab wrote:My advisor suggested that I consider transferring as well. I plan on preparing for the LSAT over the next two years.

This is why you don't talk to pre-law advisors. Transferring is extremely difficult, and to plan on doing so is beyond foolish. Also, you don't need to study for two years; a minimum of 2 months and a maximum of 6 should be sufficient.
smackdab wrote:And thank you for your reply, but what do you mean by spilter?

Splitter is someone with a low GPA and a high LSAT.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:54 pm

I'd say yes....spend a 5th year and rock it. Pull that GPA up.
If it's one particular year that's dragging you down, consider writing an addendum, explaining what (if anything) you were dealing with that year that hurt you.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:58 pm

The post is wishy-washy - as you said - but at least you made up for it with a super-specific thread title. "Law school" - Just brilliant.

smackdab wrote:Hi everyone,

I wanted to get some advice about my law school chances, and how I should proceed. Im finishing up my junior year right now. The past 3 years I have been pre-med, but this last year was utterly disastrous. I failed three science courses, and got C's in three others. I finally had a talk with my parents, and told them that I didnt want to continue (I was pre-med largely because of pressure)

Right now my GPA is a 2.6-- obviously this is meaningless, but without my sciences I would have near a 3.5. I am a sociology major, and have a 3.7 in my major GPA.

After this current semester, I will probably have a 2.75 ish. My plan (after talking to my prelaw advisor) is to try and raise my gpa to a 3.0 by the end of my four years.

I was wondering whether it would be wise to do a 5th year to raise my gpa further?

After that, I was planning on working for a couple years at a nonprofit that I am interning at , and then applying.

Obviously the LSAT is really important, but I am confident I can do fairly well.

I know this sounds kind of wishy washy, but any advice or guidance would be appreciated

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:55 pm

Take community college classes over the summer to push that GPA up further. Regardless of where you end up GPA-wise you'll need an LSAT close to or above 170 to make law school worthwhile.

Postby 20141023 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:09 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:16 pm

This is the 2nd best thread title in the past month or so next to the one just titled "?"

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:49 pm

Why is your GPA a 2.6? If your major GPA is a 3.7.... I don't understand. Did you have a science major and then drop it? Did you fail classes? Are you really that confident that you can bring it up so much (to the degree that you will stay a 5th year just to do that...)?

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:56 am

smackdab wrote:My advisor suggested that I consider transferring as well. I plan on preparing for the LSAT over the next two years.

And thank you for your reply, but what do you mean by spilter?

It sounds like you shouldn't go to law school. It isn't a hedge against the cruel reality of the world--it embodies that cruel reality. Your GPA is too low to get a worthwhile offer from any reputable school, and in order to raise it enough you would need to take full course loads until you're 25.

The delaying graduation + taking extra courses is the type of thing recommended for people 100% committed to law school and are willing to take the huge financial risk of sticker at a T13. You're probably about 20 or 21 and in no position to make this kind of life-altering decision.

It's unfortunate that your major (sociology) won't provide you with any kind of quality job training, but if you weren't willing to do the work for introductory physics and chemistry a couple years ago, what makes you think you'll have the work ethic to succeed in law school, let alone on the LSAT? You may not have agreed with your parents' pressuring you to do pre-med coursework, but you should have listened to them, or at least picked a worthwhile major. Now that you're approaching graduation and are possibly beginning to realize the futility of your liberal arts degree, is that what's scaring you into wanting law school?

You're also blindly offering to commit two years to the LSAT, but you haven't even taken a diagnostic or done any research about what the LSAT entails.

I don't really know what to tell you other than you need to consider other career goals and other ways of attaining them. Law school would likely be a terrible mistake for you to pursue. It does sound like if you can get a steady job at this non-profit you're interning at (hopefully not for free).

Your prelaw advisor is right in that you should try to raise your GPA to a 3.0 or better, but you're really up shit creek with a GPA that low regardless. The real reason you should raise that GPA is because you should be getting mostly A's in your sociology classes (and to your credit, you are), and you should be striving for A's in general.

Why exactly do you want to go to law school?

gnomgnomuch

Postby gnomgnomuch » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:39 am

Try maintaning as close to a 4.0 GPA for as long as you can from now on. Schools like (thought it wont mitigate your overall low gpa) when your GPA starts low but ends high since it can show maturity etc. I know the feeling you have, without my precal and calc 2 grades my GPA is a 3.9, alas its a 3.5, nothing i can do. Transferring is not a good idea, unless you were already considering it, and you wont have many options for transferring with such a low GPA. If you want to get your GPA up a little bit try taking some Summer classes at CC's. Doing a 5th year might not make sense, since you already have a decent amount of credits, plus you'll just be putting yourself into more debt + prolonging getting out into the real world.

Dont listen to Pre-law advisors... They usually dont know what they are talking about, all the information is out on the internet, more specifically here at TLS.

You also do not need 2 years to study for the LSAT. People recommend between 3-6 months of hardcore serious study.

In terms of your LSAT and your GPA you are prob locked out at the t-14, unless you absolutely kill the Lsat (175+). Keep in mind a 173/3.5 will fare much better than a 177/2.8. Once you go over a schools 75% the amount you go over doesnt make that much of a difference. Of all the T-14's you have a shot at, cornell, GULC, and an ED to UVA are your best bets.
This does change if you can get your GPA to a 3.0.

If however you do score in the 170's you will prob get into schools in the 15-25 range, some with money.

Finally if you are dead set on law, try distancing yourself from that GPA with some WE.

All the best!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”