Bad month. What should I do?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Goodman

Bad month. What should I do?

Postby Goodman » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:30 pm

Last edited by Goodman on Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

sanjola

Re: Bad month. What should I do?

Postby sanjola » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:37 pm

:roll:

Goodman

Postby Goodman » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:42 pm

Was this a dumb post? :| Sorry

sunshinegirl

Postby sunshinegirl » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:55 pm

Hey, sorry to hear about your bad month. Did you receive any scholarships from Georgetown? It would help if you had something in addition to UCLA to put on the table when you try to negotiate scholarships with NYU. Also, I noticed that you submitted most of your applications in December - I have a feeling that might be what hurt your cycle. Although you don't want to, you should at least *consider* sitting out this cycle and applying earlier for Fall 2014. Otherwise, you should start sending LOCIs to the schools that held/WLed you. Hope your month gets better (it's almost over with anyway!) and that you get some good news soon!

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:58 pm

You've got great numbers, WE, and didn't apply that late. Sent LOCIs like crazy and I'm sure you'll receive some good news from a lot of those schools. You'll have to wait until the very end of the cycle, but my guess is that a lot of schools are WL'ing/holding a lot of candidates because they're trying to assess how to handle the drop in applicants in terms of medians and class sizes, and yield percentage is something that they can use to make up for lower medians in terms of rankings. Best of luck and hang in there, I'm sure you'll have some really great options by the end of your cycle!

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:04 am

Goodman wrote:Was this a dumb post? :| Sorry

The post isn't dumb, but the title will be off-putting to some, given your T14 options. If you received an acceptance to NYU in the last 30 days, that's a month that many posters would kill for. Anyway, your concern about underperforming your numbers is a perfectly legitimate reason to post.

Your numbers are excellent, but you should know that people with your numbers have slim chances at H and S. You're below both medians at H, and S, with its tiny class, is picky and unpredictable. Someone else will have to interpret the meaning of being held at CLS. You should be pretty close to an auto-admit with those numbers. Penn almost certainly waitlisted you for yield-protection purposes; they believe that people with numbers like yours are unlikely to attend. Did you write a "Why Penn?" essay? If not, and if you're genuinely interested in attending, write a LOCI detailing the reasons you would attend if accepted (not binding) and send it posthaste.

Did you apply anywhere else? Duke? Northwestern?

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:08 am

Sorry for coming off a bit rude, but plenty of people would love to experience your version of a "bad month".

bowser

Postby bowser » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:12 am

Hang on. I have yet to see someone with your numbers fail to get great options.

I second the LOCI thing. Did you ask people to read over your PS? Is there some kind of question mark on your app that might be making adcomms hesitant? If maybe your PS was weak a stronger LOCI might help you. Your numbers would help A LOT of schools in a down cycle.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:13 am

sanjola wrote:

Sorry for coming off a bit rude, but plenty of people would love to experience your version of a "bad month".

OP still underperformed his/her numbers to the point where I would say it was a bad month. Just because others would love to be in your position doesn't mean that you shouldn't feel disappointed or bad about the outcome. Fortunately for OP it isn't over and I think patience will be rewarded.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:31 am

Nah, bro. Nothing wrong with venting a little bit every now and then. I imagine April will be a better month for you, but even if it's not, you've still had a relatively great cycle (compared to the thousands and thousands of other law school applicants who can't even crack the T14).

BerkeleyBear

Postby BerkeleyBear » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:33 am

Watch OP land Stanford. 8)

Goodman

Postby Goodman » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:44 am

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”