transferring 3 times considered "excessive"?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
partypajamas

transferring 3 times considered "excessive"?

Postby partypajamas » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:51 am

Just wondering, does a candidate who has gone to 4 different schools in 5 years raise some eyebrows?

SteelPenguin

Re: transferring 3 times considered "excessive"?

Postby SteelPenguin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:19 am

partypajamas wrote:Just wondering, does a candidate who has gone to 4 different schools in 5 years raise some eyebrows?

I don't have an answer, but would you be able to give a solid explanation to schools you are applying to? It seems like something addendum-worthy.

partypajamas

Postby partypajamas » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:26 am

Community college->state flagship school( MA) -> top private->a different state flagship (UNC), for full scholarship ride.....

im a junior at the private school now and the cost and social scene are downers. i would be happer at UNC...but this will be 4 schools in 5 years and i feel somewhat flakey myself......however, finances are a legitimate consideration. could this harm my application in any way? my gpa is about a 3.75, hoping to bring it up to a 3.8

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:31 am

Definitely addendum worthy... just cuz people are gonna wanna know wassup and you don't want them to think its behavior issues or whatever.

If you have good reasons for transferring, then I'd say its ok. But it will definitely make people question your app... not that transferring twice wouldn't already do that though

partypajamas

Postby partypajamas » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:33 am

well community college->4 year for bachelors, to top private for my major since state flagship didnt have it. i dont think im actually going to transfer if it will raise more red flags i geuss.

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:49 am

partypajamas wrote:well community college->4 year for bachelors, to top private for my major since state flagship didnt have it. i dont think im actually going to transfer if it will raise more red flags i geuss.

Well if they're going to be interested in finding out why you transferred 3 times, the schools would still probably like to know why you transferred 2 times. I have no real answers, but I think you also have to consider what's best for alternative job prospects. What happens if you don't become a lawyer? Would the transfer improve your job prospects for your undergrad degree? Don't view this decision solely through the perspective of law admission chances.

vizio24

Postby vizio24 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:23 am

don't worry about it. write a brief addendum. I went to 3 different UGs. only GPA matters.

Now i'm at T20+ biglaw

enjoy.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:35 am

partypajamas wrote:well community college->4 year for bachelors, to top private for my major since state flagship didnt have it. i dont think im actually going to transfer if it will raise more red flags i geuss.

It won't be a problem. Include a brief addendum. The first two transfers make sense even without explanation. If finances have become an issue, no one will question your reasons for the third.

Redbandit

Postby Redbandit » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:20 am

Yeah, I have more than 5 transcripts, and I was advised to write an addendum to elucidate the circumstances and to provide a timeline to make it easier for the adcomms. It's not a big deal, but it would be wise to make some sense of the muddle, otherwise it might seem like you are a bit of a loose cannon-- jumping from school to school.

partypajamas

Postby partypajamas » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:23 pm

well ok i geuss ill just explain the situation fully....

i went to a really bad junior college, transferred to flagship state school for sophomore year. this was mainly for prestiege reasons

...then transferred to USC (now junior year) because i thought International relations was my real interest, and my state school didnt have it. HOwever, i was also accepted to UNC chapel hill at this time, and my family qualifies for their full need scholarship....

USC's cost is really hurting my family now, since a parent is having trouble with employment. the UNC chapel hill need based aid would be fantastic for my family situation....

ive always considered law school and done my research so its not really just a backup plan. im just worried that 4 different schools will make me look like a flakey candidate...i am aiming for Columbia, penn, UVA, Vandy, Duke, Gtown etc, hopefully with some $$$$. my GPA will be 3.75-3.8 and i am currently studying for lsats.

however, since law school is a huge gamble, which degree would be better for general life? unc political science with less debt (and 4 different transcripts.....), or USC IR with more debt but one less transcript?? Ultimately, the debt is about 7k a year so its not a huge amount....right now i am leaning towards just sticking USC out, maybe study abroad for a semester, then heading for law school

thanks for all the input, TLS has been infinitely more helpful than any advisors

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:45 am

Definitely addendum that records, but I wouldn't worry too much. You have legitimate reasons for each one.

Additionally, transferring between law schools is a COMPLETELY different beast than transferring between undergrads. You wouldn't even really be able to flake out like that in law school, so it's less of a concern.

PBateman1

Postby PBateman1 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:53 am

Speaking from personal experience (I've attended 5 colleges total) I didn't submit an addendum and my cycle has gone perfectly in line with my numbers. As the tls wisdom goes, all that really matters is your gpa/LSAT.

b123

Postby b123 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:51 pm

partypajamas wrote:well ok i geuss ill just explain the situation fully....

i went to a really bad junior college, transferred to flagship state school for sophomore year. this was mainly for prestiege reasons

...then transferred to USC (now junior year) because i thought International relations was my real interest, and my state school didnt have it. HOwever, i was also accepted to UNC chapel hill at this time, and my family qualifies for their full need scholarship....

USC's cost is really hurting my family now, since a parent is having trouble with employment. the UNC chapel hill need based aid would be fantastic for my family situation....

ive always considered law school and done my research so its not really just a backup plan. im just worried that 4 different schools will make me look like a flakey candidate...i am aiming for Columbia, penn, UVA, Vandy, Duke, Gtown etc, hopefully with some $$$$. my GPA will be 3.75-3.8 and i am currently studying for lsats.

however, since law school is a huge gamble, which degree would be better for general life? unc political science with less debt (and 4 different transcripts.....), or USC IR with more debt but one less transcript?? Ultimately, the debt is about 7k a year so its not a huge amount....right now i am leaning towards just sticking USC out, maybe study abroad for a semester, then heading for law school

thanks for all the input, TLS has been infinitely more helpful than any advisors

Essentially say this and I wouldn't see a problem. Those are all extremely logical reasons.

partypajamas

Postby partypajamas » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:30 pm

is a usc international relations degree worth another 22k in debt over a basically free degree in poli sci from UNC?

dr123

Postby dr123 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:39 pm

partypajamas wrote:is a usc international relations degree worth another 22k in debt over a basically free degree in poli sci from UNC?

fuck no

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:41 pm

partypajamas wrote:is a usc international relations degree worth another 22k in debt over a basically free degree in poli sci from UNC?

Not at all.

redsox550

Postby redsox550 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:46 pm

I wouldnt worry about law school apps given how number based they are, compared to having to explain that to every employer for the next X amount of years (probably a long time , idk how long you would keep all of those on your resume) especially when you apply somewhere and you do not even have the opportunity to interview there yet, I could imagine an employer finding it too odd. But thats just a guess

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:54 pm

redsox550 wrote:I wouldnt worry about law school apps given how number based they are, compared to having to explain that to every employer for the next X amount of years (probably a long time , idk how long you would keep all of those on your resume) especially when you apply somewhere and you do not even have the opportunity to interview there yet, I could imagine an employer finding it too odd. But thats just a guess

You only need to include your degree-granting institution on a résumé.

haus

Postby haus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:19 pm

partypajamas wrote:Just wondering, does a candidate who has gone to 4 different schools in 5 years raise some eyebrows?

If it makes you feel any better, it took me 10 schools over 16 years to get my bachelors degree.

Johnny1607

Postby Johnny1607 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:25 pm

Don't worry at all. I attended 4 schools (5 if you count study abroad) and am probably slightly out preforming my numbers. FWIW I included an addendum about why I transferred so to each school and showed that there was a valid reason each time.

partypajamas

Postby partypajamas » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:08 pm

Actually, the huge academic scandal UNC was involved me has now made me reconsider...will this scandal destroy its reputation and hurt its graduates who wish to attend law school?? also, is it hard to secure reccomendations from UNC professors considering its a large school?

unc chapel hill=no more debt
usc=20k more debt ><

howlery

Postby howlery » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:04 pm

partypajamas wrote:Actually, the huge academic scandal UNC was involved me has now made me reconsider...will this scandal destroy its reputation and hurt its graduates who wish to attend law school?? also, is it hard to secure reccomendations from UNC professors considering its a large school?

unc chapel hill=no more debt
usc=20k more debt ><

Harvard just recently had some cheating scandal and I'm sure no one is turning their grads away. Unless you were involved in/caught cheating, don't worry about it. As with any school, go to office hours and be active (not annoying) in class when it seems appropriate.

partypajamas

Postby partypajamas » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:40 pm

so you guys positive that transfering 3 times shouldnt affect my cycle if i have great numbers?

also, i have built great relationships with deans/teachers at usc who i know will write me fantastic reccs. is this something to consider , since i would enter carolina as a junior and only have 1.5 years to muster up reccs?

howlery

Postby howlery » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:58 pm

Yes, we are sure that transferring 3 times (regardless of legitimate reasons or not, which yours are) won't have a negative impact on your cycle. Some people have 5 transcripts, no1curr.

Your LORs aren't so important to your app that they would be worth a ton of extra debt. GPA/LSAT are more important. 1.5 years is enough time to well in the classes of a couple of professors and ask them for letters.

Good luck

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”