Hard Deadlines? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Hard Deadlines?

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:02 pm

So it seems like deadlines at some T1 (specifically T14) schools are hard and set, but others are not. I'm trying to figure out how I can apply to some schools that seem to still be accepting applications, but that won't allow me to submit via LSAC. When I call their offices, the person who picks up always just says, "Oh, the deadline has passed."

I have a 17X and a 3.5+ LSDAS GPA, so I'm hoping there's a chance I can still submit some more applications.. I don't necessarily expect HYS to let me submit, but I was at least hoping to get in app at some more schools in the T20, such as USC or GWU (who gave me a fee waiver, and then refused to let me submit when I contacted them less than a week after their deadline to tell them it never worked!.. that sucked).

Any tips for talking with admissions offices (should I request to speak to an admissions officer, or are the people who pick up admissions officers themselves?), or should I just accept that some deadlines are completely passed? Also, any idea which T20 schools are definitely still accepting apps?

BerkeleyBear

Bronze

Re: Hard Deadlines?

Post by BerkeleyBear » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:05 pm

I'd wait until next cycle. I'm sure that isn't what you want to do but it's likely the right move.

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:12 pm

BerkeleyBear wrote:I'd wait until next cycle. I'm sure that isn't what you want to do but it's likely the right move.
But I don't waaaaaaaanna. *grumblegrumblegrumble*

I'm kind of a mess, so I'm just sort of taking my chances this cycle. Just took my first LSAT in February, hoping the lack of applicants will slightly compensate for lateness. I also have *no* idea how I would spend a year off. I don't have anywhere to live, I don't have anything to do, I don't have any job prospects, and I'm already graduating later than I should have. I'm ready to move on with my life. =\

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:17 pm

Don't make a stupid decision tho. Apply this cycle and look at your options, if you underperform reapply. Do NOT waste your stats because you didn't want to wait a year, I'm in the same boat

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Post by gnomgnomuch » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:21 pm

there are a couple of factors in play here.
1)It is very late in the cycle, but some hail mary apps are always possible, dont expect money though as its prob already given out.
2) what is a 17x.. is it a 170 or a 175... thats a HUGE difference.
3) T20's are in play, with potential hefty scholarships (you will prob get scholarships at a t-14 honestly). But this is for next cycle.
4) Unless your lsat is a 178 or up and you have some insane softs, HYS is pretty much out of play (theres always a small chance, and its always worth an app, but they have a pretty hard floor of around a 3.7)
5) The best advice i can give is to sit this cycle out, spend the next 7 months or so, getting work experience/internships/getting your life in order, and apply as early as possible for the next cycle. That will maximize both your shots at the best schools (if you ED somewhere) and at scholarship money, since 17x's are coveted.

Best of luck in your cycle (now, or next cylce) =D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:32 pm

gnomgnomuch wrote:there are a couple of factors in play here.
1)It is very late in the cycle, but some hail mary apps are always possible, dont expect money though as its prob already given out.
2) what is a 17x.. is it a 170 or a 175... thats a HUGE difference.
3) T20's are in play, with potential hefty scholarships (you will prob get scholarships at a t-14 honestly). But this is for next cycle.
4) Unless your lsat is a 178 or up and you have some insane softs, HYS is pretty much out of play (theres always a small chance, and its always worth an app, but they have a pretty hard floor of around a 3.7)
5) The best advice i can give is to sit this cycle out, spend the next 7 months or so, getting work experience/internships/getting your life in order, and apply as early as possible for the next cycle. That will maximize both your shots at the best schools (if you ED somewhere) and at scholarship money, since 17x's are coveted.

Best of luck in your cycle (now, or next cylce) =D
Thanks for the advice! This is probably the route I'll take after this cycle doesn't pan out.. but I figure I might at least give it a shot. With the ridiculously low numbers, I'm hoping that good enough stats will compensate for having applied before (in the same way I'm hoping good enough stats will compensate for late apps.. heh).

Hopefully I'm right! It seems ridiculous that a school would throw away a solid applicant next cycle just because they had applied super late and been rejected this time around.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:35 pm

Who implied that they would? That typically breaks even, it shows dedication to a school and perceived as a better chance at matriculating

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”