The role of your personal politics and getting into LS Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sublime

Diamond

Re: The role of your personal politics and getting into LS

Post by sublime » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:09 am

canarykb

Bronze

Post by canarykb » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:10 am

Im not an adcom, obviously, but I think a big part of what they're judging in looking at your file is your ability to make smart decisions in putting together an application. And in that way I think how you put together your softs really does matter. They don't want to admit someone who's going to bomb interviews/job apps because they make dumb mistakes that turn employers off.

I was on the opposite end of the spectrum - Im a big ole feminist - and I know I have some views that would be more radical than the general population. I chose to write about repro rights because in my PS b/c thats an issue I'm passionate about and have done a lot of work with. But I was very measured in my PS, focusing on the work I had done and commenting on the complexity of the issue, rather than trying to convince anyone or make a strong statement. Similarly, in my resume, I kept all my radical stuff on there but softened some of the titles & focused on the work I had done, rather than the cause.

It's all about showing your ability to succeed, your political leanings may come out in your application, but should not be a focus. Take out anything that you think could be polarizing, and refocus on you, and your skills and potential.

eric922

Bronze

Post by eric922 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:14 am

sublime12089 wrote:
eric922 wrote: Sociology had some open Marxists teaching it. It was really interesting. Strangely enough I'm taking a Journalism class and the teacher talks about Marx a lot to. The class is all about how the media affects society and the professor focuses a lot on the economics of who owns the media and the theory of hegemony so Marx isn't a stretch. Overall, I'm actually really enjoyed classes like that. It's good to hear a viewpoint that you aren't normally exposed to. It's one of the reasons I'm planning on reading up on Critical Legal theory when I get the chance. It's something I doubt I'll study in law school, but it should be interesting none the less.

Marxism is very appealing to many social science academics. I understand why, but I consider myself at least somewhat of a Marxist, particularly concerning his critiques of capitalism. As one of my ghanaen history professors, who no longer considered himself a marxist, "His writing is intellectually seductive, especially as someone from an undeveloped nation."
I think Marx's critique on capitalism and his pure economics were very insightful, it's his solution to the problem I'm not sold on. One thing I find rather ironic is that what was meant to be the ideology of the working class(Marxism) has been adopted by academics whereas most working class people I've met have no clue what Marxism is besides vague images of the old Soviet Union.

MarcusAurelius

Bronze

Post by MarcusAurelius » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:18 am

eric922 wrote:The only way I could imagine your personal politics hurting you is if you happened to be an open card carrying member of the Nazi Party. That might cause adcomms to look the other way, but being a member of one of the two major political parties in the U.S. is not going to hurt you.
OP, do you look like this?:

--ImageRemoved--

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:23 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MarcusAurelius

Bronze

Post by MarcusAurelius » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:24 am

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:13 am

MiracleNeeded wrote:I'm a republican, and very pro second amendment. In recent years I've helped organize a local progun rally, and was a key player in the recent rally in my state capital. I've worked with the NRA-ILA, one of my letters of recommendation will come from a retired Air Force Colonel I worked closely with in organizing a prepper's convention.

These are all great "softs" in a way, but re they useless due to the fact that they are very right wing? Academia is not exactly the most accepting place when it comes to people who have politics such as mine. S is it best to shut up about it?
By very pro second amendment do you mean like... literalist, Hamilton in current-day, we should be allowed to drive activated tanks down the highway kind of support? Not trying to start an argument here, just wondering what someone who describes themselves that way is actually saying and I've always wondered if there are people out there that think that.

*I'm pro 'having' the second amendment too, just so we don't get off base with that question*
*Cool name btw*

MiracleNeeded

Bronze

Post by MiracleNeeded » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:22 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:
MiracleNeeded wrote:I'm a republican, and very pro second amendment. In recent years I've helped organize a local progun rally, and was a key player in the recent rally in my state capital. I've worked with the NRA-ILA, one of my letters of recommendation will come from a retired Air Force Colonel I worked closely with in organizing a prepper's convention.

These are all great "softs" in a way, but re they useless due to the fact that they are very right wing? Academia is not exactly the most accepting place when it comes to people who have politics such as mine. S is it best to shut up about it?
By very pro second amendment do you mean like... literalist, Hamilton in current-day, we should be allowed to drive activated tanks down the highway kind of support? Not trying to start an argument here, just wondering what someone who describes themselves that way is actually saying and I've always wondered if there are people out there that think that.

*I'm pro 'having' the second amendment too, just so we don't get off base with that question*
*Cool name btw*
When we discuss the second amendment, I think we need to keep one thing in mind, does the weapon in question harm people indiscriminately?

A handgun has the potential to kill indiscriminately if used by the wrong person, but in the hands of a person with enough knowledge it will harm the intended target alone. And if that target is a burglar...great!

An indiscriminate weapon would be a something like a nuclear bomb. Once it goes off it will do harm to many people with no discrimination, and can cause harm for decades, or even centuries to come.

You asked about a tank though. My feeling on tanks is that they are a borderline weapon. But still ok. Should I have a tank? If I can afford one, it should be treated like any other weapon, it has the potential of killing indiscriminately, but so does a handgun. Granted a tank can do more damage, but it can serve a great purpose, it can serve as a self defense tool and as a tool to protect against a tyrannical government which will no doubt have tanks of their own, it can be used as a purely defensive tool, ie, no offensive use. It really just is a shelter with a cannon on it.

It comes down to two rights, the right to defense and the right to quiet enjoyment. If the first violates the second, then it should not be legal. If the first is sued to defend the second, then it should be legal. So my view on the second amendment is not exactly radical, I don't believe in having a biological weapon, but tanks, and machine guns are fine by me. Some might think that IS radical, but our founding fathers would have agreed with me.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:45 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kay2016

Silver

Post by kay2016 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:47 pm

sublime12089 wrote:
I would not mention that.

eric922

Bronze

Post by eric922 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:49 pm

I would not mention that.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:51 pm

In defending yourself a tyrannical government.

History is littered with examples of revolutions that result in tyrannical governments, and virtually no examples of a people violently overthrowing a tyrannical government resulting in a free society.

It's much more likely that guns would be used to install some sort of fascist government in America rather than take one down.

MiracleNeeded

Bronze

Post by MiracleNeeded » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:In defending yourself a tyrannical government.

History is littered with examples of revolutions that result in tyrannical governments, and virtually no examples of a people violently overthrowing a tyrannical government resulting in a free society.

It's much more likely that guns would be used to install some sort of fascist government in America rather than take one down.
Guns in the hands of who? The American revolution removed a tyrannical government, it was guns in the hands of the people that helped that happen.

The French Revolution was also successful with an armed populous, and the French resistance was helped along with guns smuggled in to Nzi occupied France.

Could it be possible that the revolution leads to a strong man who then creates a fascist state? Sure, but he would have to disarm the people to keep it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

eric922

Bronze

Post by eric922 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:06 pm

MiracleNeeded wrote:

Guns in the hands of who? The American revolution removed a tyrannical government, it was guns in the hands of the people that helped that happen.

The French Revolution was also successful with an armed populous, and the French resistance was helped along with guns smuggled in to Nzi occupied France.

Could it be possible that the revolution leads to a strong man who then creates a fascist state? Sure, but he would have to disarm the people to keep it.
You mean the same French Revolution that led to Robespierre, the Reign of Terror, Napoleon, and the eventual restoration of the Bourbon kings?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:09 pm

MiracleNeeded wrote:

1) I hesitate to even call the American Revolution a revolution. It was more a war of separation than a revolution. The colonial governments which for the most did all the governing stayed in power and just converted to state governments. And it was those governments who raised an army and fought what was basically a foreign invader. The British didn't run local government directly.

2) The French Revolution is a classic example of what I'm talking about. It was a huge shit show that ended up back into monarchy and tyranny.

3) French resistance a) did about jack shit, it's just hyped to make France feel less bad about losing WWII and b) isn't a revolution.

4) "Sure, but he would have to disarm the people to keep it."

Not really, Afghans were pretty heavily armed and the Taliban controlled it just fine. And not even that matters. A dictator could easily disarm America.

fluffythepenguin

New

Post by fluffythepenguin » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:12 pm

nvm.
Last edited by fluffythepenguin on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:15 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MiracleNeeded

Bronze

Post by MiracleNeeded » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:47 pm

sublime12089 wrote:Not to mention that the notion that any militia unit would be able to even have a chance against the US Military, even if you had tanks, is insane. How many tyrannies have been toppled with the help of the 2nd Amendment? OK. Now how many friends, parents, children, teachers, nurses, leaders, etc have died. Noone is trying to disarm you, just place reasonable restrictions. Even the mainstream liberals.

Also, "the founding fathers would agree that I could have a tank" is quite a stretch.

Goddammit. I made it like 8 posts in this topic just being helpful and not calling OP insane. I blame you DesertFox! lol
Thank God we haven't had to test the theory that the 2nd amendment can defeat a tyrannical government, BUT, there are several examples of guerrilla forces defeating a larger more technologically advanced military, even in the modern era. Sure, many of those stories involve a super power stepping in with support, directly or indirectly, but that was usually necessary in places where the citizens were not well armed. Vietnam, (on both sides), Afghanistan (vs. USSR and they've given our guys a run for their money with old AKs and and rocket launchers left over from the 80s), look at what happened in Iraq, a few guys with rifles and garage door openers did a lot to hold the most powerful military in the world at bay.

Also, while guns have been used for horrible murders in recent years, what you don't see in the news are the thousands who use guns in self defense every year. And the others who use guns and never have to fire a shot because the would be bad guy does the ol' 23 skidoo once he sees the gun.

I might add that defending against burglars and a rogue govt aren't the only uses. During the LA riots, and Katrina, guns were used successfully when there was no government at all. I have a right to self defense, and the means with which to defend myself. If the cops aren't coming, it is unreasonable to ask that I defend myself with a pointy stick.

MiracleNeeded

Bronze

Post by MiracleNeeded » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:54 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
MiracleNeeded wrote:

1) I hesitate to even call the American Revolution a revolution. It was more a war of separation than a revolution. The colonial governments which for the most did all the governing stayed in power and just converted to state governments. And it was those governments who raised an army and fought what was basically a foreign invader. The British didn't run local government directly.

2) The French Revolution is a classic example of what I'm talking about. It was a huge shit show that ended up back into monarchy and tyranny.

3) French resistance a) did about jack shit, it's just hyped to make France feel less bad about losing WWII and b) isn't a revolution.

4) "Sure, but he would have to disarm the people to keep it."

Not really, Afghans were pretty heavily armed and the Taliban controlled it just fine. And not even that matters. A dictator could easily disarm America.
The Taliban was also fairly popular with many afghans. I'm not totally convinced that the general afghan public was well armed. I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of Taliban gun control laws, but I would imagine that the Taliban had almost exclusive access to guns and that the average person didn't have great access at all.

User1310

New

Post by User1310 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:32 pm

MiracleNeeded wrote:
sublime12089 wrote:Not to mention that the notion that any militia unit would be able to even have a chance against the US Military, even if you had tanks, is insane. How many tyrannies have been toppled with the help of the 2nd Amendment? OK. Now how many friends, parents, children, teachers, nurses, leaders, etc have died. Noone is trying to disarm you, just place reasonable restrictions. Even the mainstream liberals.

Also, "the founding fathers would agree that I could have a tank" is quite a stretch.

Goddammit. I made it like 8 posts in this topic just being helpful and not calling OP insane. I blame you DesertFox! lol
Thank God we haven't had to test the theory that the 2nd amendment can defeat a tyrannical government, BUT, there are several examples of guerrilla forces defeating a larger more technologically advanced military, even in the modern era. Sure, many of those stories involve a super power stepping in with support, directly or indirectly, but that was usually necessary in places where the citizens were not well armed. Vietnam, (on both sides), Afghanistan (vs. USSR and they've given our guys a run for their money with old AKs and and rocket launchers left over from the 80s), look at what happened in Iraq, a few guys with rifles and garage door openers did a lot to hold the most powerful military in the world at bay.

Also, while guns have been used for horrible murders in recent years, what you don't see in the news are the thousands who use guns in self defense every year. And the others who use guns and never have to fire a shot because the would be bad guy does the ol' 23 skidoo once he sees the gun.

I might add that defending against burglars and a rogue govt aren't the only uses. During the LA riots, and Katrina, guns were used successfully when there was no government at all. I have a right to self defense, and the means with which to defend myself. If the cops aren't coming, it is unreasonable to ask that I defend myself with a pointy stick.
People in the projects were shooting AR-15s at national guard helicopters. How can you possibly justify that as an example of successful gun use? And the implementation of "martial law" during Katrina (not technically martial law because of Louisiana's backwards legal system) was not indicative of an absence of government in its entirety, it just rendered civil authority as ineffective and inefficient. Disaster preppers are stuck in an ignorant cycle of inductive reasoning where their defensive argument is to begin throwing out examples and citations of instances (revolutions, coup de tats, disasters, etc.) that generally cannot be applied to a universal scenario.

Guns should not be in the hands of individuals with an IQ under 100. Honestly, just come to Texas, inadvertently piss off a drunk redneck, and count the number of seconds it takes for him to walk out to his truck and get his gun. Its a fun game i've been playing lately, but it makes you realize that people not using guns for pure sport are generally just fing nutcases.

Back to the topic. Yes, your LOR and backstory will hurt you because they will see you as a liability ie possibly the next gunman to walk on campus in sheer panic when a thunderstorm hits, the stock market dips, and Kim Jong-Un fires a failed missile into the pacific- all in the same day.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:56 pm

Just so you know, as much as it may seem like it with the socratic method and all, law school class is not the time for discussing these wacky beliefs. I'm very worried that you will disrupt the legal educations of many bright minds by being a psycho-gunner, without realizing it. Even when the professor asks people to specifically expound on certain points, you should just sit back and listen

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MiracleNeeded

Bronze

Post by MiracleNeeded » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:59 pm

User1310 wrote:
MiracleNeeded wrote:

People in the projects were shooting AR-15s at national guard helicopters. How can you possibly justify that as an example of successful gun use? And the implementation of "martial law" during Katrina (not technically martial law because of Louisiana's backwards legal system) was not indicative of an absence of government in its entirety, it just rendered civil authority as ineffective and inefficient. Disaster preppers are stuck in an ignorant cycle of inductive reasoning where their defensive argument is to begin throwing out examples and citations of instances (revolutions, coup de tats, disasters, etc.) that generally cannot be applied to a universal scenario.

Guns should not be in the hands of individuals with an IQ under 100. Honestly, just come to Texas, inadvertently piss off a drunk redneck, and count the number of seconds it takes for him to walk out to his truck and get his gun. Its a fun game i've been playing lately, but it makes you realize that people not using guns for pure sport are generally just fing nutcases.

Back to the topic. Yes, your LOR and backstory will hurt you because they will see you as a liability ie possibly the next gunman to walk on campus in sheer panic when a thunderstorm hits, the stock market dips, and Kim Jong-Un fires a failed missile into the pacific- all in the same day.
The LA riots saw Korean Shop owners defending their businesses from large crowds with AR 15s as well. Had they not had access to those guns, would they have had a chance against such a large group of people?

Thank God it was prior to the 1994 ban.

As far as the gangs shooting at helicopters, it proves the point made by pro gun people, gun laws DO NOT WORK. GANG MEMBERS had ARs and were shooting at police helicopters. LA has historically been a gun grabbing state, and the fact that gangs had access to these rifles, despite the fdederal and tough state and local laws shows that those laws are useless.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:00 am

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:13 am

So a basic assumption here is that violence is and always will be a necessity to battle at least one type of oppression.

But you have to grant that the very threat that comes from others possessing guns takes away just a bit of my freedom. That is the cost, and not a cost I want our members of society to pay forever. But for now, yes.

Also this cost of freedom is directly tied to how effective your weapon is. Thus a ban on assault guns to me, is warranted.

MiracleNeeded

Bronze

Post by MiracleNeeded » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:59 am

sinfiery wrote:So a basic assumption here is that violence is and always will be a necessity to battle at least one type of oppression.

But you have to grant that the very threat that comes from others possessing guns takes away just a bit of my freedom. That is the cost, and not a cost I want our members of society to pay forever. But for now, yes.

Also this cost of freedom is directly tied to how effective your weapon is. Thus a ban on assault guns to me, is warranted.
Your freedom to live a quiet and undisturbed existence can be violated by many of the rights granted to the people. A Jihadist can blow up a building you're in because some guy makes a cartoon of Mohamed that guy wasn't happy about. Should we tell people not to make anymore youtube videos because we don't want to another attack on American soil (the embassy was technically American soil).
define what an assault weapon is.

The truth is that we pay a price for living in a free society. There was very little gun crime in the USSR, there is no gun crime and very little violent crime in Cuba, I don't want to live in those societies.

You say we should ban assault weapons. What's an assault weapon? by your definition.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”