Things I can do that might WOW admissions when I apply

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MiracleNeeded

Things I can do that might WOW admissions when I apply

Postby MiracleNeeded » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:08 pm

Hard to word that properly, what I mean is, are there any projects I can undertake today that might work to impress admissions at the various schools I apply to after my Oct. LSAT?

Please no smart ass remarks, this is a serious question. My brother-in-law sent me a link to Yale's admission page and on it was a list of the entering class. It was meant to look diverse from the mundane to the truly spectacular.

Vegan chef and au pair to investigator at world bank inspection panel and Kurdistan's presidential advisor.

While I might be short on time to become the presidential advisor of a pseudo nation, a speech writer for British parliament (that was another person) I can do impressive things. One guy went on a trip to 27 developing countries.

Working at my local church and visiting the retirement home Might not cut it. Any serious ideas?
Last edited by MiracleNeeded on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

eric922

Re: Things I can do that might WOW admissions when I apply

Postby eric922 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:22 pm

This thread is a great example of how most softs aren't very much help. Unless you are the guy who was the adviser to the president of Kurdistan they really don't help that much, because nearly everyone has something they can put on their application. The main thing you can do is get your numbers as high as possible. I know it wasn't the answer you were looking for, but honestly there isn't much you can do in terms of softs.

star fox

Postby star fox » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:30 pm

Get a 177 on the LSAT

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:30 pm

john7234797 wrote:Get a 177 on the LSAT

eric922

Postby eric922 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:34 pm

TCR

banjo

Postby banjo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:51 pm

There are some basic things you can do to avoid underperforming your numbers. Get glowing academic letters of recommendation, write a genuine personal statement, and try to think about how your activities and interests fit into a coherent narrative that culminates in law school. Also try to convey that you're passionate about stuff without actually using the word "passion".

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:38 pm

The thing is, I can't imagine that any of these people undertook their amazing experiences with the intent of using them to get into law school (and if that's why you do something, you're not likely to be very successful). Nor are any of those examples things you can accomplish in 6 months. But except at Yale/Stanford, it really doesn't matter. Do what matters to you and write about why it matters to you - that's much more effective than trying to come up with an "impressive" soft.

BerkeleyBear

Postby BerkeleyBear » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:39 pm

eric922 wrote:

TCR

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:43 pm

BerkeleyBear wrote:
eric922 wrote:

TCR

177? Please. 180 or bust.

BerkeleyBear

Postby BerkeleyBear » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:51 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
BerkeleyBear wrote:
eric922 wrote:

TCR

:lol: Okay, you win MOTM.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:52 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
BerkeleyBear wrote:
eric922 wrote:

TCR

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:00 am

"impressive" softs will not make a great lawyer.

a high LSAT score will (I use "will" as most likely or 60%-80% chance)

hdivine

Postby hdivine » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:35 am

Worked for me.

Seriously, make yourself memorable. It doesn't have to be super impressive. It just has to show you have work ethic.

longlivetheking

Postby longlivetheking » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am

hdivine wrote:

Worked for me.

Seriously, make yourself memorable. It doesn't have to be super impressive. It just has to show you have work ethic.

wow. 177 + 3.98 + sept 1st applications. were you the first person to be accepted for the cycle? Lol

heywatchitbuddy

Postby heywatchitbuddy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:51 am

The most annoying thing about softs is that most regular middle class people don't have the time/money/connections to do something like start a nonprofit or whatever. It seems that the upper class have the most to gain from "holistic" admission than people who had to work at walgreens during the summer instead of saving babies in Africa.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:00 am

heywatchitbuddy wrote:The most annoying thing about softs is that most regular middle class people don't have the time/money/connections to do something like start a nonprofit or whatever. It seems that the upper class have the most to gain from "holistic" admission than people who had to work at walgreens during the summer instead of saving babies in Africa.

This, so much, this

scruffy556

Postby scruffy556 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:22 am

heywatchitbuddy wrote:The most annoying thing about softs is that most regular middle class people don't have the time/money/connections to do something like start a nonprofit or whatever. It seems that the upper class have the most to gain from "holistic" admission than people who had to work at walgreens during the summer instead of saving babies in Africa.

What? The biggest softs are military service, Fulbright/Rhodes, tfa/peace corps. None of those require you to be upper class.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:04 pm

scruffy556 wrote:What? The biggest softs are military service, Fulbright/Rhodes, tfa/peace corps. None of those require you to be upper class.

To even get those, you do. (except military service & MAYBE peace corps.)

eric922

Postby eric922 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:05 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
scruffy556 wrote:What? The biggest softs are military service, Fulbright/Rhodes, tfa/peace corps. None of those require you to be upper class.

Even with the Peace Corps. I can't imagine that most middle-class people have the time to take a year or however it is long off of school or work to do it, even if expenses are paid for.

scruffy556

Postby scruffy556 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:34 pm

eric922 wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:

Even with the Peace Corps. I can't imagine that most middle-class people have the time to take a year or however it is long off of school or work to do it, even if expenses are paid for.

It could just be what i've been exposed to, but I am one of the three (the one no one's arguing about) and know people in the other two and none of us grew up well off. I'm just saying you don't have to be rich to do them, whether or not most people are I don't know.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:36 pm

You definitely don't have to be rich to do them, but being wealthy helps substantially. Like everyone else has said, the middle-class simply just not have the resources to do them.

star fox

Postby star fox » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:53 pm

Well, being a URM is a pretty big soft at least. The big losers in this whole process are poor white people.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:15 pm

john7234797 wrote:
Well, being a URM is a pretty big soft at least. The big losers in this whole process are poor white people.

this is true, sadly

hdivine

Postby hdivine » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:28 pm

longlivetheking wrote:
hdivine wrote:

Worked for me.

wow. 177 + 3.98 + sept 1st applications. were you the first person to be accepted for the cycle? Lol

Actually I wasn't. I was in about a month after they started making decisions. Made me really nervous.

You make your own luck. Of course wealthy people have major advantages, but that's true in everything, and I'm sure well-educated people like those at Yale are smart enough to realize that not all people come from the same background. In fact, that's the angle I took. I had to work a lot during my undergrad, but I made sure I accomplished a bunch of personal goals as well. Nothing I did was outstanding, but I think it showed I had a decent work ethic.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:07 am

eric922 wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:

It's 27 months, virtually unpaid. If it were 24 months, I would be doing it this moment.

Also, being poor and Asian is objectively worse than white because of UG differences in admission difficulty at top tier schools so chillax.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”