-

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
carmenjones

-

Postby carmenjones » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:40 pm

-
Last edited by carmenjones on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teflon_Don

Re: HELP! Admissions Dillemma Inside (Advice Wanted)

Postby Teflon_Don » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:46 pm

carmenjones wrote:I have received a major scholarship offer from a T14 school. Practically a full scholarship. The school has requested that I respond back by April 1, 2013.

The problem is: as you can imagine, I am still waiting to hear back from several other schools.

Any advice for how I should go about contacting to the other schools to inquire whether they can give me an admissions decision prior to April 1st? I just don't want to piiss off anybody.

Anyone ever been in this situation?

Ask for a deadline extension for the scholarship, not for the other schools to speed up their decision

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:56 pm

I have a feeling I know which school this is, but since I'm not sure, all I can say is: read the scholarship contract.

Does it actually say you must withdraw from all other schools (which I doubt) or just the ones to which you've been admitted? If it's the latter, it's in your benefit to send in the seat deposit now and then reserve the right to change your mind if a school admits you and / or gives you a better $ offer. You can then contact the school at which you deposited, explain that you've been admitted to a school from which you had not received a response at the time you deposited, and withdraw.

Yale's admissions dean wrote a blog post about this, but I'm on my phone and can't really look it up right now.

If you're trying to negotiate money from schools to which you've been admitted, then that's a different problem that puts you in a time crunch. You can ask the school for a deadline extension and ask the schools to take your deadline into consideration and to please respond ASAP but that's about it. Asking them to rush an admissions decision goes too far imo and, as I noted, is probably unnecessary.

Of course, if the contract doesn't ask you to withdraw from anywhere and you're just worried about the cash, you can't really help that aside from asking for an extension.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:00 pm

Lavitz wrote:Yale's admissions dean wrote a blog post about this, but I'm on my phone and can't really look it up right now.

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... rency.aspx

This one?

carmenjones

Postby carmenjones » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:08 pm

thanks guy.

fyi: the scholarship is from georgetown.

technically (i.e. legally) they are not requiring me to withdraw from any other schools. they are asking me to sign an "intent to enroll" document by april 1.

naturally i have some trepidation about signing an "intent to enroll" document without having heard back from other places yet.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:21 pm

carmenjones wrote:thanks guy.

fyi: the scholarship is from georgetown.

technically (i.e. legally) they are not requiring me to withdraw from any other schools. they are asking me to sign an "intent to enroll" document by april 1.

naturally i have some trepidation about signing an "intent to enroll" document without having heard back from other places yet.

Depending on the specific language of the contract, you could in good faith "intend to enroll" when you sign it and still change your mind if a better offer comes around. It's more of a question on how probable it is that you're actually going to get a better offer and have to eat the seat deposit.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”