Los Angeles 2014 or 2015

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
testadura

Los Angeles 2014 or 2015

Postby testadura » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:38 pm

Hello,

I've been thinking about law school for many years, and now that I am going to be graduating this year, it is again on my mind. I'm going to take some time off to breathe. Since I'm graduating in December, I don't know if I my best bet is to wait until 2015 or apply for the 2014 cycle. I don't know much about the LSAT. I've never picked up an LSAT book, but nearly everyone that I speak with talks about the test like it's the most difficult thing around. I have a relative who went to law school at night while practicing as a physician during the day, and he went to pass the bar, so I'm hoping that if he could get through the process while practicing medicine, it shouldn't be as impossible as some people like to make it seem.

A little about me...

Fourth year accounting major, 3.8 overall GPA (3.9 core... 3.89 core... let me call it 3.9). I only have a few classes left, but because of prerequisites for those classes, I will not be graduated until December 2013. I don't anticipate my GPA dropping much (if at all).
Interested in pursuing tax law
Would like to be in Los Angeles
I want to graduate with as little debt as possible (scholarships will be a motivator)

A little bit more about me...

I have a pretty unique story. When I was born, I was never supposed to walk. I had some experimental surgeries and went to physical therapy practically everyday until I was a teenager. At 15, when things were really leveling out physically for me, my father died. Today, at 22... I'm as independent as anyone else, but it was a struggle. I'm contemplating elaborating on this in a personal statement, but I don't want it to be misinterpreted or affect me negatively; however, I think I'd be a fool not to discuss it, if it would benefit my application.

Since I want to be in Los Angeles, I know that I'm looking at USC/UCLA and then LLS, Pepperdine and Chapman. As I understand it, USC and UCLA are at one level, and the latter three are on another. For USC/UCLA, what is a realistic LSAT, coupled with my GPA for admission? If I received any money from USC or UCLA, I'd be tremendously happy, but I also know that if that happens, I would probably receive more money from Loyola, Pepperdine or Chapman. Since one of my priorities is to limit debt, it would be very difficult to turn down that money. Also, I know that I want to work in Los Angeles and want to pursue tax law, so does that have an impact on anything? I read that Loyola has a top ten tax program, and Chapman's tax program is ranked 17. I don't know what to think of these rankings though. I know that USC and UCLA are still ranked higher overall.

I know you guys aren't going to know the correct answer to what I should share in my personal statement, or whether or not USC/UCLA is infinitely better than some of the other schools in Los Angeles, but you have opinions, and I'd like to read them. It will give me something to think about. Any other advice is appreciated -

Thanks!
Last edited by testadura on Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thethe

Re: Los Angeles 2014 or 2015

Postby thethe » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:52 pm

Tax rankings don't matter. It's a farce.

Get a 173 and go to HYS.

Or keep taking till you get a 168 and get 120k plus to UCLA.

With your ties and gpa you can leave the state for school, and go to a top 14 then return. Employers will understand.

Thread.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:24 pm

Too young. Too naive.

You need to learn how the world works BEFORE you go to law school.

So get some work experience and come back in a few years.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:26 pm

the lowest school i would shoot for is usc/ucla; the other socal schools are too risky. also, depends on your career aspirations in the legal field.

167+ will make you very competitive for usc/ucla with your strong GPA; higher the better. doing better will open up scholly money from usc/ucla.

also, for your PS, i would mention your condition and tie it into your ability to succeed academically, or otherwise.

thethe

Postby thethe » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:34 pm

1.) I'd include it. Definitely won't hurt you. Will likely give a minor boost.

2.) Stop worrying about your PS and get an LSAT score. As crazy as this would sound, not that many people will care if you can run a 4 minute mile or can't walk in this process. They'll care about your #'s. It's fairly objective.

arkgawilson

Postby arkgawilson » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:42 pm

Lasers wrote:the lowest school i would shoot for is usc/ucla; the other socal schools are too risky. also, depends on your career aspirations in the legal field.

167+ will make you very competitive for usc/ucla with your strong GPA; higher the better. doing better will open up scholly money from usc/ucla.

also, for your PS, i would mention your condition and tie it into your ability to succeed academically, or otherwise.

Agree. Take the year and beat the LSAT into the ground with a 170+, no rush.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:46 pm

arkgawilson wrote:
Lasers wrote:the lowest school i would shoot for is usc/ucla; the other socal schools are too risky. also, depends on your career aspirations in the legal field.

Agree. Take the year and beat the LSAT into the ground with a 170+, no rush.

in retrospect, this is what i would have done. instead, i took the lsat during undergrad with 3 months of prep; if i were to do it over again, i would have applied to law schools the second cycle after my graduation, with several more months of prep. i imagine i could have saved quite a bit of money and/or had more and better options.

testadura

Postby testadura » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:05 pm

Thanks for all your advice so far...

I was leaning towards the 2015 cycle as some of you have suggested. If I waited until 2015, would Summer 2014 be the appropriate time to take the LSAT, or would I have to take it in the Spring? Also, if I waited until Summer 2014, would I have an opportunity to retake for the cycle?

Thanks again -

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:14 pm

testadura wrote:Thanks for all your advice so far...

I was leaning towards the 2015 cycle as some of you have suggested. If I waited until 2015, would Summer 2014 be the appropriate time to take the LSAT, or would I have to take it in the Spring? Also, if I waited until Summer 2014, would I have an opportunity to retake for the cycle?

Thanks again -

you can take the LSAT at anytime so long as the results will be out by the school's app deadline. look at the test dates and the app deadlines and plan accordingly.

BerkeleyBear

Postby BerkeleyBear » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:15 pm

testadura wrote:Thanks for all your advice so far...

Thanks again -

Yes and yes.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”