Last Minute Fee Waivers - Recruitment Tactic?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawschooldreamer16

Last Minute Fee Waivers - Recruitment Tactic?

Postby lawschooldreamer16 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:11 pm

Hello All,

Just wanted to get some feedback on last minute fee waivers that are sent from some law schools. I don't want to think too much into this, but I received about 8 fee waivers from T-25 schools within a week of their applications deadlines. I am rather late in my application cycle, but I was considering an ivy grad program vs law school. Anyway, there were a number of schools that sent last minute emails encouraging me to apply and providing fee waivers. (Not all the emails were standard. Some were from admissions counselors who specifically stated they were from my state and wanted me to look into the city their school was located ...etc). Do you think these are schools that are looking to admit me or just a standard practice among schools?

-LSD16

haus

Re: Last Minute Fee Waivers - Recruitment Tactic?

Postby haus » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:39 pm

Given the news about the overall reduction in LSAT test takers and law school applicants, I suspect that there are quite a few school attempting to increase their applicant pool.

They may also want people from some regions, states, planets, or other magical variations, but I suspect all of this is secondary to stem the tide of smaller applicant pools.

WahooLaw24

Postby WahooLaw24 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:43 pm

lawschooldreamer16 wrote:Hello All,

Just wanted to get some feedback on last minute fee waivers that are sent from some law schools. I don't want to think too much into this, but I received about 8 fee waivers from T-25 schools within a week of their applications deadlines. I am rather late in my application cycle, but I was considering an ivy grad program vs law school. Anyway, there were a number of schools that sent last minute emails encouraging me to apply and providing fee waivers. (Not all the emails were standard. Some were from admissions counselors who specifically stated they were from my state and wanted me to look into the city their school was located ...etc). Do you think these are schools that are looking to admit me or just a standard practice among schools?

-LSD16

While it's certainly possible that you could get into some of the schools even with a late app (idk your stats), in general, schools need to appear selective and will therefore try to rack up a bunch of last second denials. It helps their rankings score, etc. If you're interested, give it a shot, but you'd have to be really over qualifed at this point and would be much better served applying next cycle.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:51 pm

lawschooldreamer16 wrote:standard practice

dkb17xzx

Postby dkb17xzx » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:25 pm

hard to say w/o your number, but it could be YP

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:28 pm

TripTrip wrote:

Don't forget the acceptance rate too....tons of schools give mad fee waivers to people they know are auto rejects

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:08 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

Don't forget the acceptance rate too....tons of schools give mad fee waivers to people they know are auto rejects

A la Columbia.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”