Yale + Finance = Rejection?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Varys

Yale + Finance = Rejection?

Postby Varys » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:52 am

I thought I read this somewhere on here, but I thought I saw it stated that getting into Yale with a major in Finance puts you at a disadvantage. Now I know you should never gear everything around just trying to get into Yale, but is there any truth to this?

They say you should major in whatever you enjoy and I get that, but I also thought a Finance major would also look good. Never thought that it would actually be a liability for applying to any school. Is a person just better off playing it safe and majoring in English or Political Science like a majority of people who apply?

Scotchandsoda

Re: Yale + Finance = Rejection?

Postby Scotchandsoda » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:14 am

It doesnt. Major in whatever you can get the highest gpa in.

Postby 20141023 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:17 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Varys

Postby Varys » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:16 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:Yeah... I am not sure where you read that, but it would be interesting to hear why the people who wrote such statements felt that way.

I was doing a forum search for seeing what people majored in and if there was a correlation between certain majors being viewed more favorably. It was a post from 2010 so not the most recent of information.

Ling520

Postby Ling520 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:56 am

Varys wrote:I thought I read this somewhere on here, but I thought I saw it stated that getting into Yale with a major in Finance puts you at a disadvantage.

Very unlikely, considering that Yale offers a four year JD+PHD in Finance: http://www.law.yale.edu/cbl/jd_phd.htm

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:20 am

It's a common rumor because, supposedly, Yale is training judges and academics, and a Finance degree suggests that you want to go into corporate/BigLaw.

But it's just that - a rumor. Yale churns out its share of BigLaw attorneys every year. I think Finance guys just complain more when they get rejected, or can't understand that Yale isn't ALL about the numbers ;-).

edamame

Postby edamame » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:32 am

Varys wrote:I thought I read this somewhere on here, but I thought I saw it stated that getting into Yale with a major in Finance puts you at a disadvantage. Now I know you should never gear everything around just trying to get into Yale, but is there any truth to this?

They say you should major in whatever you enjoy and I get that, but I also thought a Finance major would also look good. Never thought that it would actually be a liability for applying to any school. Is a person just better off playing it safe and majoring in English or Political Science like a majority of people who apply?

Nonsense. I know a finance guy that got in three years ago.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:59 pm

bp shinners wrote:It's a common rumor because, supposedly, Yale is training judges and academics, and a Finance degree suggests that you want to go into corporate/BigLaw.

But it's just that - a rumor. Yale churns out its share of BigLaw attorneys every year. I think Finance guys just complain more when they get rejected, or can't understand that Yale isn't ALL about the numbers ;-).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”