Will someone please tear this guy a new one?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Opie

Will someone please tear this guy a new one?

Postby Opie » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:30 am

Personally, I think doctors are one of the most pompous, self-pitying professions out there, and I hate most of them personally too. I wish I had time to respond in detail to this:

--LinkRemoved--

I might just spend the time to bust out everything this entitled little bitch says, but if someone else wants to do it, that would be splendid.

hq2x

Re: Will someone please tear this guy a new one?

Postby hq2x » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:06 pm

I don't understand, is he claiming that he only makes 50k as a gastroenterologist? ("And finally, you must think we know finance, as we have to try balance a $230,000 loan while making $50,000 at age 30.") The median pay for them is some $200,000 a year for first/second year physicians. I'm pretty sure the rule of thumb with professional education loans is to limit your loans to your first year's salary, which he seems to have done, but I am confused by his sentiments. I also have never heard of any doctor that couldn't afford to pay off his loans. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it has to be substantially lower than any other professional job.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:17 pm

I don't understand, is he claiming that he only makes 50k as a gastroenterologist? (

Simple. He was a hospital resident at that time (age 30). What part of the following line is unclear?

...at the tender age of 32 and searching for my first job...

I think doctors are one of the most pompous, self-pitying professions out there, and I hate most of them personally too.

Haters gonna hate. But why? What part of his post is not true?

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:22 pm

He said he makes a lot more money now, but only made 38k as a resident when he was 32. He probably rounded up to 50k just for the sake of argument. Either way, this guy came off as really whinny.

Oh, you had to make 40k a year for a couple years, but knew you had a 150k+ job coming down the pipe? I feel so bad for you. If he wants a grad school horror story, try a kid who went to TT at sticker and can't even get a JD required job.

Put more simply: I've never met a poor doctor, who wasn't explicitly choosing to make less money because they loved their work. I've meet a ton of broke lawyers, nursing 100k in loans and working some office job they could have gotten out of college.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:28 pm

If he wants a grad school horror story, try a kid who went to TT at sticker and can't even get a JD required job.

Yeah, I get that. But why criticize him for the "story" that you would prefer that he write? It is not his fault that universities see law schools as cash cows and have increased their number significantly. It is not his fault that the feds give unlimited loans to fund the legal education scheme.

hq2x

Postby hq2x » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:33 pm

txdude45 wrote:He said he makes a lot more money now, but only made 38k as a resident when he was 32. He probably rounded up to 50k just for the sake of argument.

This discrepancy is what confused me initially but it makes sense now. Agree with others in the thread that 50k residency is completely different from a 50k job. I also think that if you don't count residency as your "first year salary," the amount of loans doctors take out still makes sense for most. Hell, if lawyers were guaranteed a decade at biglaw, law school would be a great choice. It's the unemployment/underemployment that makes the debt sting.

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:35 pm

Big Dog wrote:
If he wants a grad school horror story, try a kid who went to TT at sticker and can't even get a JD required job.

Yeah, I get that. But why criticize him for the "story" that you would prefer that he write? It is not his fault that universities see law schools as cash cows and have increased their number significantly. It is not his fault that the feds give unlimited loans to fund the legal education scheme.

It is his fault that he has a "woe is me" mentality. Medical school is a sure thing. If you don't flunk out, you will likely make 200k/yr if you want to. It is easily the most profitable degree in the country and he acts like he did the world a favor by getting it. If he were working in some small private practice serving an undeserved community, I would have been raining praise all over the article, but he isn't. He's making bank and has the audacity to complain about it.

presh

Postby presh » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:36 pm

Stopped reading after paragraph one. That dude must be super flexible to be able to kiss his own ass so well.

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:42 pm

First, I was 32 years old as I began training and I now had over $230,000 in debt. Had I invested my talents in other pursuits such as law school, I would not have built up this level of debt.

lol, just lol

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:43 pm

There's too much wrong with this guy to go into right now. The thing that really irked me is his upper-middle classicism. I'm sorry his parents only a mere engineer and a private school administrator. I'm sure it's tough to live off of the puny $200,000 or so his parents probably made. And $50k is more than most Americans make. Significantly more.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:47 pm

sabanist wrote:
First, I was 32 years old as I began training and I now had over $230,000 in debt. Had I invested my talents in other pursuits such as law school, I would not have built up this level of debt.

lol, just lol

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”