Sending out more applications... Stupid or ? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ArchieHicox

Bronze

Sending out more applications... Stupid or ?

Post by ArchieHicox » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:24 pm

Like a lot of people I have been getting dozens of fee waivers in the mail and via email inviting me to apply for Fall 2013 over the past couple weeks. I've already sent out my applications and for the most part am content with my list and cycle so far. I've generally overperformed and I think maybe I might crack some schools I didn't think I had a shot at before. (163 LSAT and 2.9ish GPA). Most of the schools that are sending me free applications are generally not the most respectable, but a few have been a little better. Washington University in STL, University of Georgia, Lewis & Clark, IIT Kent, SLU.

I debated applying to Wisconsin-Madision but didn't initally because of my #s. I'm curious if I might get in... according to LSN they haven't accepted anyone sub 3.0 but there haven't been many sub 3.0s and 162+ LSATs. Maybe I sneak in? I can't imagine they would give me a fee waiver, but I'm debating asking. Is it worth $75 to send an app in this late, or am I just being foolish and being played?

Question basically is, is it worth it to send any more applications this late in the cycle at the $21 LSAC cost. Right now considering UGA and Wisconsin.

TripTrip

Gold

Re: Sending out more applications... Stupid or ?

Post by TripTrip » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:15 am

ha-ri wrote: is it worth it to send any more applications this late in the cycle at the $21 LSAC cost.
Always. Let's say you're applying to a school slightly outside your numbers and you have a 10% chance of getting in. If you get in, you may be able to use that acceptance to garner a scholarship from the school you would normally be going to if you hadn't applied upward. Say that scholarship is $100k.

Is it worth $21 for a 10% chance at either $100,000 or a better school?

If there was a lottery I could play where $21 would buy me a 1 in 10 chance at anything more than $210, it would (statistically) always be worth it. $100,000 is significantly more than $210. Ergo, submit the apps.

ArchieHicox

Bronze

Post by ArchieHicox » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:31 am

I think that is a good perspective. $21 is not that much money, especially considering I have basically had fee waivers for every application so the cost has gone down. I'm going to try to see if Wisconsin will give me a waiver this late, but I'm basically expecting a NO. I don't think its worth $77 to apply this late, with little to no chance of $$$.

I went ahead and sent out the UGA app. And wrote out the supplemental essays. All for a ~5% chance if the LSAC grid is accurate or ~25% chance is LSN is accurate. I have been overperforming so who knows?

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:46 am

No. Save your money and reapply next year - after a retake.

Also, why are you applying to regional schools all over the map? Narrow your focus.

ArchieHicox

Bronze

Post by ArchieHicox » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:42 pm

Its $21....

I understand the re-take advice, but I've tested 3x and I really don't want to wait another year. I think I have reasonable options, and if I want to stay debt free, I do have a full-ride offer and most of my acceptances have come in at around $15-20k tuition annually. Which while not free, is manageable.

I've been pretty targeted in my applications. Midwest and Texas. The list of schools in the first post were places that sent free apps... I didn't apply.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”