LSAT Score Addendum HELP!!!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nrand001

LSAT Score Addendum HELP!!!

Postby nrand001 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:05 pm

I took the LSAT twice. Once in December and recently in February. I scored significantly lower (5 points) in February due to my 101 fever and a very bad flu. This was my last chance to take the LSAT and I could not back out or cancel my score as I did prepare rigorously. Is that a legit reason to provide an addendum for the decrease?

Thanks!

ManOfTheMinute

Re: LSAT Score Addendum HELP!!!

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:08 pm

nrand001 wrote:I took the LSAT twice. Once in December and recently in February. I scored significantly lower (5 points) in February due to my 101 fever and a very bad flu. This was my last chance to take the LSAT and I could not back out or cancel my score as I did prepare rigorously. Is that a legit reason to provide an addendum for the decrease?

Thanks!

Honestly, it just sounds like you're making excuses. I'm not sure why that was the last chance for you to take the LSAT/not cancel, because unless you have a good reason for that being the case, no school will believe it

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:23 pm

If you only took it twice then you still have one more chance.

You should have not shown up in February so you wouldn't get burned.

Your addendum will probably get thrown in the trash.

nrand001

Postby nrand001 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:37 pm

Well it is because I am already late in the application cycle and I am currently applying to law schools. February is already considered to be late in the cycle so taking the June test makes no sense if I am looking to begin this fall. I understand it doesn't seem legitimate but I gave the test another shot and due to unforeseen circumstances I was not able to perform at my optimal level.I just don't want the admission committee to think my second score is more representative of my abilities. Make sense?

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:40 pm

nrand001 wrote:Well it is because I am already late in the application cycle and I am currently applying to law schools. February is already considered to be late in the cycle so taking the June test makes no sense if I am looking to begin this fall. I understand it doesn't seem legitimate but I gave the test another shot and due to unforeseen circumstances I was not able to perform at my optimal level.I just don't want the admission committee to think my second score is more representative of my abilities. Make sense?

They are going to take the highest score anyways. An addendum isn't necessary if you're just going to claim you were sick. It sounds lame.

nrand001

Postby nrand001 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:43 pm

Ok makes sense. I was honestly just confused because I heard many schools ask for an addendum if your score is more than 3 points apart. So I really had no idea how to go about it. Thanks for your help!

buddyt

Postby buddyt » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:59 pm

Wait a cycle, and retake in June/Oct so your "rigorous" studying wasn't for naught.

nrand001

Postby nrand001 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:39 pm

Honestly I would, but I just cant afford to wait another cycle. I've been out of college for about a year now and really need to get things going. Think i'm just gonna skip the addendum since they consider the higher score anyway.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:00 pm

nrand001 wrote:Honestly I would, but I just cant afford to wait another cycle. I've been out of college for about a year now and really need to get things going. Think i'm just gonna skip the addendum since they consider the higher score anyway.

This is really short-sighted thinking. Assuming that you attended college at the usual age, you're still young for law school. Almost 40% of the students in my class have been out of school for at least two years, with many of those having been out four or more years. No test you take from here on will shape your future career options as a lawyer nearly as much as the LSAT will. One year is nothing, especially when your use of that time could radically improve your position for a ~40-year career.

arkgawilson

Postby arkgawilson » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:56 am

Ti Malice wrote:
nrand001 wrote:Honestly I would, but I just cant afford to wait another cycle. I've been out of college for about a year now and really need to get things going. Think i'm just gonna skip the addendum since they consider the higher score anyway.

This is really short-sighted thinking. Assuming that you attended college at the usual age, you're still young for law school. Almost 40% of the students in my class have been out of school for at least two years, with many of those having been out four or more years. No test you take from here on will shape your future career options as a lawyer nearly as much as the LSAT will. One year is nothing, especially when your use of that time could radically improve your position for a ~40-year career.

I have to say that I agree. I thought I would be applying for this cycle and life just didn't work out like that. Now it's looking like it might even be next year before I apply because of the current master's program that I'm in. Don't do the addendum. Take your time. I've been out of undergrad for 3 years now, and it will be 5 at the time that I am applying for law school....not the end of the world. :)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”