Does a spouse currently attending a law school help?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
peteandrepeat

Does a spouse currently attending a law school help?

Postby peteandrepeat » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:17 pm

Basically is there a benefit to telling the admissions committee that your spouse currently attends that law school? Would it be something that you should say just in case it does help?

canarykb

Re: Does a spouse currently attending a law school help?

Postby canarykb » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:41 pm

I could see this being helpful in an interview or a Why X? Essay. In an interview you could use your knowledge of your spouse's experience with law school to speak confidently & specifically about why you think you will succeed in LS and what your expectations are. Ifyour spouse is going to LS in the same area where you are applying, that fact could be worked into an effective Why X? essay (or in an interview) convincing the school you have good reasons to attend.

But just as a line in your application, I think it will have 0 impact without more explanation.

Tim0thy222

Postby Tim0thy222 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:44 pm

I can't imagine it would help too much for getting accepted, though it probably depends on the school. I can't think of a way to mention it in your application without sounding like you expect it to give you a bump (which could rub an admissions committee the wrong way if they expect you to earn it on your own merit). Plus it is just such a numbers game at most schools. Maybe you could mention it in a Why X essay, but I think you'd want to be careful to not make it sound like the only reason you want to go there is because your spouse goes there.

Where I COULD see it being helpful is if you get waitlisted and your spouse knows somoeone in the admissions office, maybe they could swing by with you and just be like "oh this is my spouse, he just applied and is on the wait list, I'm showing him around the school and wanted to bring him by to meet you." That could move you up on the waitlist.

I don't have any direct experience with the spouse thing, I'm just basing this on the fact that in my experience and in the experience of a friend of mine who was applying at the same time, meeting people in the admissions office can be really helpful for getting off the waitlist.

peteandrepeat

Postby peteandrepeat » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:03 pm

Yeah I'm in a situation where the spouse is on the waitlist but I don't have a connection in the admissions office so I'm not sure what if anything I can do here or whether pointing that out to them might give them a kind of small bump because the admissions office wouldn't want to be home wreckers.

canarykb

Postby canarykb » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:09 pm

Your spouse should write a LOCI. They can include that they are particularly interested in this school because 1) they want to live there because of you 2) you have had a great experience with BLAH BLAH SOMETHING SPECIFIC and therefore they especially want to go.

AspiringAcademic

Postby AspiringAcademic » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:09 pm

peteandrepeat wrote:Yeah I'm in a situation where the spouse is on the waitlist but I don't have a connection in the admissions office so I'm not sure what if anything I can do here or whether pointing that out to them might give them a kind of small bump because the admissions office wouldn't want to be home wreckers.

I would definitely suggest having them mention it in a LOCI the way canarykb was describing "My spouse so and so is a _L here, and from them I know how wonderful...etc". I can't imagine it hurting, and it will probably have some amount of positive value. Admissions officers are people too.

I don't think there is anything you can do on the student end unless you are close to a professor or admin person.

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:13 pm

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:17 pm

peteandrepeat wrote:Yeah I'm in a situation where the spouse is on the waitlist but I don't have a connection in the admissions office so I'm not sure what if anything I can do here or whether pointing that out to them might give them a kind of small bump because the admissions office wouldn't want to be home wreckers.

I applied with my spouse (now ex) and made every admissions office aware that we were a package deal. She was waitlisted at a T14 that I got accepted to. They agreed to accept her if we both committed to attend.

canarykb

Postby canarykb » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:30 pm

Drake014 wrote:

I applied with my spouse (now ex) and made every admissions office aware that we were a package deal. She was waitlisted at a T14 that I got accepted to. They agreed to accept her if we both committed to attend.

They don't exactly have the same leverage given OP is already attending.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:13 pm

canarykb wrote:
Drake014 wrote:

They don't exactly have the same leverage given OP is already attending.

Get in the top 10% of your class and threaten to transfer

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:37 am

During 1L, one of my classmate's boyfriend applied to our LS and was initially rejected. She went and talked to the admin and he ended up getting in, so it can help. (From what she said, my impression was that he actually had great numbers for our school and so he may have been yield-protected? Which could make getting him easier once the school was convinced he'd actually attend. But then, I also think a lot more people think they've been YPed than are actually YPed, so who knows.)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”