LGBT Friendly schools

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rad lulz

Re: LGBT Friendly schools

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:24 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:I'm just another human in this shit world.

180 sentiment bro

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:28 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:I'm just another human in this shit world.

180 sentiment bro

lol

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:49 am

Iowa asks on the app and gives a bump. They also have a journal about gender issues, and are located in one if the most LGBT-friendly cities in the country.

Moultdog

Postby Moultdog » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:35 am

I'm a 1L at Texas, and there definitely seems to be a higher percentage of LGBT people here than in the general population. One of my good friends here is gay, and he at least feels that he got a big boost because of it.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:09 pm

Crowing wrote:I'm kinda liking Dre's shtick.

+1. I also think its funny that he's openly trying to exploit any edge he can find. Still not convinced he's real though. Not sure if I hope he is or not.

arkgawilson

Postby arkgawilson » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:39 pm

Opie wrote:Iowa asks on the app and gives a bump. They also have a journal about gender issues, and are located in one if the most LGBT-friendly cities in the country.

Wow, would have never guessed. Thanks for sharing!

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:00 pm

BigZuck wrote: I also think its funny that he's openly trying to exploit any edge he can find. .

That's how it should be done. IT's all about em' boosts.

billiris321

Postby billiris321 » Wed May 01, 2013 1:01 am

I think Tulane might be a good option.

VegasLaw702

Postby VegasLaw702 » Wed May 01, 2013 1:44 am

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed May 01, 2013 1:53 am

jdmonkey

Postby jdmonkey » Wed May 01, 2013 5:01 pm

This thread is so screwed up. It is a good insight into why our society is such a cesspool of takers. Some clown asking if I'm gay or black what will give me the biggest boost. I think Dr. King would be rolling in his grave with his hopes that we could be judged solely by the content of our character. People should be judged based on their numbers, softs, and hardships they have had to overcome. The only people that should get affirmative action are people that actually did shit for our country like veterans. Getting a boost for being black or gay is a disgrace to serious members of both communities.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed May 01, 2013 5:05 pm

jdmonkey wrote:This thread is so screwed up. It is a good insight into why our society is such a cesspool of takers. Some clown asking if I'm gay or black what will give me the biggest boost. I think Dr. King would be rolling in his grave with his hopes that we could be judged solely by the content of our character. People should be judged based on their numbers, softs, and hardships they have had to overcome. The only people that should get affirmative action are people that actually did shit for our country like veterans. Getting a boost for being black or gay is a disgrace to serious members of both communities.

Careful...

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed May 01, 2013 6:37 pm

jdmonkey

Postby jdmonkey » Wed May 01, 2013 7:37 pm

sublime wrote:
jdmonkey wrote:This thread is so screwed up. It is a good insight into why our society is such a cesspool of takers. Some clown asking if I'm gay or black what will give me the biggest boost. I think Dr. King would be rolling in his grave with his hopes that we could be judged solely by the content of our character. People should be judged based on their numbers, softs, and hardships they have had to overcome. The only people that should get affirmative action are people that actually did shit for our country like veterans. Getting a boost for being black or gay is a disgrace to serious members of both communities.

Straight white male jealous much?

Look, I get it, I am a white male and I have offers I am very happy with from top 20-30 schools. If I was AA female, my numbers would get me in at HLS. I can see how that could upset somebody. The reality is and what you have to accept is that you are competing within your group. I am not competing with AA females, I am competing with other white males, and while it is not perfect, diversity in education is important. In the same way, you can't blame URM's for wanting to reach the best outcome possible.

I am not a big fan of veteran bumps, and will leave it at that.

And you know less about Dr. King than you think you do.

“It is impossible to create a formula for the future which does not take into account that our society has been doing something special against the Negro for hundreds of years. How then can he be absorbed into the mainstream of American life if we do not do something special for him now, in order to balance the equation and equip him to compete on a just and equal basis?”

“The struggle for rights is, at bottom, a struggle for opportunities . In asking for something special, the Negro is not seeking charity. He does not want to be given a job he cannot handle. Neither, however, does he want to be told that there is no place where he can be trained to handle it. So, with equal opportunity must come the practical, realistic aid which will equip him to seize it. Giving a pair of shoes to a man who has not learned to walk is a cruel jest.” (M.L. King, Why We Can’t Wait)

So you don't think that veterans who put their lives on the line for this country deserve affirmative action? Even those who came back wounded? I can't think of a more deserving group of people who should be helped in admissions. They were away fighting our battles while we were able to live normal lives, go to school, make connections, and live in a free society. I agree to disagree.

See once we start social engineering where do we stop? What about poor white people growing up in trailer parks they get no help in admissions, but if your father is an AA NBA player or hedge fund manager you do? That doesn't make sense to me.

howlery

Postby howlery » Wed May 01, 2013 7:47 pm

On topic forums are not the place to debate affirmative action. Derailing someone else's thread and getting it locked is a dick move.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed May 01, 2013 7:50 pm

How is Dre going to lawl school when he literally tells EVERYONE not to go to lawl school?

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed May 01, 2013 8:01 pm

Uncle Lou

Postby Uncle Lou » Thu May 02, 2013 2:01 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:Which schools would punish applicants for being LGBT?

No school you'd ever want to attend.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Thu May 02, 2013 2:12 pm

this is the same guy who made the #2 pencil thread.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”