.privacy

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
john09121

.privacy

Postby john09121 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:59 am

Last edited by john09121 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Davidbentley

Re: Medical withdrawal on transcript

Postby Davidbentley » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:31 am

Not at all.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:44 am

john09121 wrote:I'm currently studying abroad and dealing with intense chronic illness. I'm strongly considering taking a medical withdrawal from my courses. How would this affect my admissions chances?

No one cares. Just get and keep documentation.

But, seriously, you are sick and your concern is law school
Admissions? Show some common sense and respect for your health and well- being.

fallingup

Postby fallingup » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:35 am

Yup, I had a medical withdrawal for something a lot more unsavory and still got into some good T14s. I provided details in a supplement to my application and that seemed to work well. One school asked for more info and once I provided that they admitted me.

I suggest withdrawing sooner rather than later so you don't risk your grades.

Get well soon.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:08 am

I have a medical withdrawal on my record, but I do not think it has affected my cycle

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:48 am

Most of the time, a medical withdrawal won't negatively affect you. The only time it might come into play if it's a chronic illness that will persist into law school and likely progress to make it even more likely that you will end up medically withdrawing from law school. Even then, it's not a definite that it'll negatively affect you.

amuseboosh

Postby amuseboosh » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:29 am

What if the illness is depression, I heard it can hurt your admissions. Is this true?

fallingup

Postby fallingup » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:23 am

amuseboosh wrote:What if the illness is depression, I heard it can hurt your admissions. Is this true?

My issue was not depression but it was something similar and actually more taboo. It has not hurt me thus far in my cycle - I have been performing as well as or better than LSN/LSP predicted. I will say though, that if you are trying to justify an upward trend in GPA using a health or other reason, it generally won't work. I thought maybe law schools might ignore a semester where I was struggling, and take into account the fact that my GPA was wayyy higher if you disregard that semester. But nope - I'm having exactly the same results as people on LSN with my LSAT and my cumulative GPA, NOT the same results as people on LSN with my LSAT and my GPA minus the unhealthy semester.

ETA: I wrote a fairly long addendum to all my applications explaining what my situation was, how I reacted to it, how I progressed, and how I've proven myself since that time to be ready to thrive in law school. This approach seems to have worked for me.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”