Should I sent in a late addendum? 3.3/165

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Anon2008

Should I sent in a late addendum? 3.3/165

Postby Anon2008 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:28 am

So I took the July LSAT last year, but decided to take it at literally the very last minute. The day I made the decision was actually the last day to register. My plan had been to use the summer and fall to study, take the test in December, and submit once the scores were in.

I pretty much panicked once I realized that, with the rolling basis of admissions, I'd be putting myself at a disadvantage (especially with my numbers) applying so late, so I bit the bullet, registered like 3 weeks out, and crammed. I got a 165, which I understand is nothing to sneeze at, but I honestly feel like I could have hit mid 170s if I'd taken the time. I've always been a good test taker (near perfect on my SAT and SAT2s) and I feel like I actually crippled myself as compared to people who study for months leading up to the test.

Looking at how my cycle has gone, I feel like it is honestly those last 5+ points holding me back. I'm waiting for decisions at HYS and have acceptances at Georgetown, MVP(1), and CCN(1). Other than those schools, it's all WL for the T14.

Would senting a short addendum explaining how I think my LSAT isn't a representative score do anything for me at ths point? I probably should have sent one in with my applications, but I didn't.

(Note: the October test wasn't an option. Had it been, things would have been 1000% easier for me)

mvonh001

Re: Should I sent in a late addendum? 3.3/165

Postby mvonh001 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:33 am

You got in at 1 MVP and 1 CCN with a 3.3/165? Do you have some extraordinary extracurriculars? Are you a URM?

Anon2008

Postby Anon2008 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:35 am

mvonh001 wrote:You got in at 1 MVP and 1 CCN with a 3.3/165? Do you have some extraordinary extracurriculars? Are you a URM?

Former HYP basketball player, AA male, some WE

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:38 am

O cool... I don't think a letter saying how you think you can do better based off of you SAT scores will do much of anything to persuade them. But thats just my 0.02

Goodluck with the rest of your cycle

RSterling

Postby RSterling » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:42 am

I don't mean to sound abrasive, but what exactly would your addendum say? That you didn't prepare for the lsat as much as you would have liked? There are thousands of people who could say that. LSAT addendums are only effective if they describe something that was outside of your control. You've got some good acceptances as it is. If you really want to get those five extra points, you could retake and reapply next cycle.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:45 am

GPA is for people who didn't prepare well for the LSAT
LSAT is for people who didn't do well in school

You have a low GPA and a meh LSAT - any addendum is just gonna seem like BS.

If you really care about getting into better schools/$$, retake.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:54 am

Do not send. That would literally be one of the worst possible uses of an addendum. No school will care one whit what you think about your scoring potential. They're interested only in your actual high score. From the schools' perspective, you have no excuse for applying without a score that you think is representative of your ability.

Anon2008

Postby Anon2008 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:15 pm

Thanks for the responses. I've considered waiting another year, but my job is pretty terrible and I've been waiting to get into the law for long enough. I'm perfectly happy with my acceptances, am probably going to withdraw from the T14s that WL'd me. My only concern is the schools that haven't given me a decision yet (HYS).

Basically, it would say "if you're waiting because my number is simply too low for you, I completely understand. If you're waiting because you think my number is representative of my ability, let me explain why it isn't." I've missed a ton of ding waves at Harvard and Yale and I submitted early, so there has to be something in my app they like. I just want to attempt to sure up a weak spot.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:22 pm

Anon2008 wrote:Thanks for the responses. I've considered waiting another year, but my job is pretty terrible and I've been waiting to get into the law for long enough. I'm perfectly happy with my acceptances, am probably going to withdraw from the T14s that WL'd me. My only concern is the schools that haven't given me a decision yet (HYS).

Basically, it would say "if you're waiting because my number is simply too low for you, I completely understand. If you're waiting because you think my number is representative of my ability, let me explain why it isn't." I've missed a ton of ding waves at Harvard and Yale and I submitted early, so there has to be something in my app they like. I just want to attempt to sure up a weak spot.

Yeah son, URM. URMs have unpredictable decision timelines because schools want to make sure that they get their numbers

North

Postby North » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:45 pm

Anon2008 wrote:Thanks for the responses. I've considered waiting another year, but my job is pretty terrible and I've been waiting to get into the law for long enough. I'm perfectly happy with my acceptances, am probably going to withdraw from the T14s that WL'd me. My only concern is the schools that haven't given me a decision yet (HYS).

I only skimmed the thread, but if you think you can break 170, you should absolutely sit out and get it. Don't squander your potential. If you got a 165 with little prep, you don't have far to go. Retake in June/October, get a 170, and go to HYS next year. IMO, you'd be crazy to waste that opportunity.

dnptan

Postby dnptan » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:50 pm

Sit it out and retake the LSAT. Choosing to go to a lower-ranked school when you know you can get in a higher ranked school is a waste - what's one year in comparison to a lifetime? Your choice of law school will be with you forever; that 1 year working at a crappy job will not.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am

Anon2008 wrote:"if you're waiting because my number is simply too low for you, I completely understand. If you're waiting because you think my number is representative of my ability, let me explain why it isn't."

Prove it. Otherwise, don't send in the letter. You need that higher number to justify this addendum.

Ave

Postby Ave » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:38 am

bp shinners wrote:
Anon2008 wrote:"if you're waiting because my number is simply too low for you, I completely understand. If you're waiting because you think my number is representative of my ability, let me explain why it isn't."

Prove it. Otherwise, don't send in the letter. You need that higher number to justify this addendum.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:49 pm

You're a AA-URM? RETAKE

the SAT is middle school math and elementary school reading comprehension. No one cares.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:14 pm

Anon2008 wrote:I got a 165, which I understand is nothing to sneeze at, but I honestly feel like I could have hit mid 170s if I'd taken the time

stopped reading there

retake, re-apply and enjoy hys

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:07 pm

Anon2008 wrote:
Basically, it would say "if you're waiting because my number is simply too low for you, I completely understand. If you're waiting because you think my number is representative of my ability, let me explain why it isn't."

If you say that, this is what they'll say:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”