Delete this thread please. I got my answer

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: 3.44 vs 3.45

Postby cinephile » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:41 am

Why don't you just apply after you graduate so you can have a whole year of credits to boost your GPA? You're throwing money away on summer school when you could be working or interning somewhere and getting some experience and hopefully $. Besides, you'll do better, if not in admissions then in life, if you work for a bit before going to law school.

User avatar
arkgawilson
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:33 pm

Re: 3.44 vs 3.45

Postby arkgawilson » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:14 am

cinephile wrote:Why don't you just apply after you graduate so you can have a whole year of credits to boost your GPA? You're throwing money away on summer school when you could be working or interning somewhere and getting some experience and hopefully $. Besides, you'll do better, if not in admissions then in life, if you work for a bit before going to law school.


That's assuming that the OP doesn't have considerable work experience already. :)

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: 3.44 vs 3.45

Postby North » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:18 am

arkgawilson wrote:
cinephile wrote:Why don't you just apply after you graduate so you can have a whole year of credits to boost your GPA? You're throwing money away on summer school when you could be working or interning somewhere and getting some experience and hopefully $. Besides, you'll do better, if not in admissions then in life, if you work for a bit before going to law school.


That's assuming that the OP doesn't have considerable work experience already. :)

A reasonable assumption, then.

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: 3.44 vs 3.45

Postby cahwc12 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:59 am

mvonh001 wrote:Will it make a difference? I ask because if i take 27 credits this summer ill end up with a 3.44 assuming all A's, but if i take 30 credits ill get a 3.45, but if i get just 1 B+ out of those 30 credits it will drop down to a 3.43. So im wondering if i should take the extra class or just take 9 classes and be able to focus all of my attention on them. But now after typing this i realize that what will 1 more class really do?? am i right, or wrong? whats your opinion?


As someone who averaged overload semesters of difficult coursework throughout most of undergrad (~19 hours) and took full loads in the summer, you're going to crash and burn. If you want to bring your GPA up specifically for law school, it isn't the worst idea in the world to stay an extra year and take 50-60 credits.

More importantly though, you didn't mention that you aren't even in position to otherwise graduate. The numbers you mention only work out for 93 credit hours of 3.27 (y=(3.27*93+4x)/(93+x)). That means you're basically trying to do your entire senior year over a summer semester.

Spread it out over the three semesters you are supposed to actually take.

User avatar
mvonh001
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:49 pm

Re: 3.44 vs 3.45

Postby mvonh001 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:27 am

cahwc12 wrote:
mvonh001 wrote:Will it make a difference? I ask because if i take 27 credits this summer ill end up with a 3.44 assuming all A's, but if i take 30 credits ill get a 3.45, but if i get just 1 B+ out of those 30 credits it will drop down to a 3.43. So im wondering if i should take the extra class or just take 9 classes and be able to focus all of my attention on them. But now after typing this i realize that what will 1 more class really do?? am i right, or wrong? whats your opinion?


As someone who averaged overload semesters of difficult coursework throughout most of undergrad (~19 hours) and took full loads in the summer, you're going to crash and burn. If you want to bring your GPA up specifically for law school, it isn't the worst idea in the world to stay an extra year and take 50-60 credits.

More importantly though, you didn't mention that you aren't even in position to otherwise graduate. The numbers you mention only work out for 93 credit hours of 3.27 (y=(3.27*93+4x)/(93+x)). That means you're basically trying to do your entire senior year over a summer semester.

Spread it out over the three semesters you are supposed to actually take.


I'm not sure where you got that formula, but i can assure you that I am supposed to graduate in december.

I can opt to take more classes my final semester, but then i wont graduate until december and Ill be applying to schools with a ~3.38 ( assuming a take 5 classes this summer)

Or i can take 7 classes and get a 3.41, would that be just as insignificant as 3.44 vs. 3.45?

Would applying to a school like penn be significantly impacted if i applied with a 3.35 vs a 3.41 vs a 3.45, there just isnt enough data on LSN to know. and since both are below the bottom 25% i was just curious
Last edited by mvonh001 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:10 am, edited 4 times in total.

vinnnyvincenzo
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:05 pm

Re: 3.44 vs 3.45

Postby vinnnyvincenzo » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:35 am

Depending on how the summer courses and credits work at OP's school it might not be as demanding as you all are thinking. At my school there were 3 summer sessions, 1 month each and each course was 3 credits. So if I was the OP I would have to take 3 classes per section. Ive done 2 sessions of this before back to back and it was pretty easy because summer classes are a joke. Basically 9 hourse per day in class 3 days a week and then I worked the other 2. Now maybe summer classes are hard elsewhere but I took some stupid art class and a couple 100 level pre-reqs to get them over with and got all A's so its doable if you want to.

User avatar
mvonh001
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:49 pm

Re: 3.44 vs 3.45

Postby mvonh001 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:39 am

vinnnyvincenzo wrote:Depending on how the summer courses and credits work at OP's school it might not be as demanding as you all are thinking. At my school there were 3 summer sessions, 1 month each and each course was 3 credits. So if I was the OP I would have to take 3 classes per section. Ive done 2 sessions of this before back to back and it was pretty easy because summer classes are a joke. Basically 9 hourse per day in class 3 days a week and then I worked the other 2. Now maybe summer classes are hard elsewhere but I took some stupid art class and a couple 100 level pre-reqs to get them over with and got all A's so its doable if you want to.



Thanks, ya they are all easy 1000 level courses, and im taking 3 in summer A 2 in Summer B and 4 in summer C (which combines A + B)...

But now after reading all of these posts im a little bit more nervous then i was earlier and I'm wondering if it will be worth it considering my GPA will still be below the 25th percentile at my dream school. (UPenn)

User avatar
star fox
Posts: 13709
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Re: 3.44 vs 3.45

Postby star fox » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:42 am

Maybe call Penn and speak to an Admissions officer and see what they see? I'm sure they'll say the higher the GPA the better but maybe you can get them to give you an answer on GPA cutoffs this year or something.

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: 3.44 vs 3.45

Postby cahwc12 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:55 am

mvonh001 wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:
mvonh001 wrote:Will it make a difference? I ask because if i take 27 credits this summer ill end up with a 3.44 assuming all A's, but if i take 30 credits ill get a 3.45, but if i get just 1 B+ out of those 30 credits it will drop down to a 3.43. So im wondering if i should take the extra class or just take 9 classes and be able to focus all of my attention on them. But now after typing this i realize that what will 1 more class really do?? am i right, or wrong? whats your opinion?


As someone who averaged overload semesters of difficult coursework throughout most of undergrad (~19 hours) and took full loads in the summer, you're going to crash and burn. If you want to bring your GPA up specifically for law school, it isn't the worst idea in the world to stay an extra year and take 50-60 credits.

More importantly though, you didn't mention that you aren't even in position to otherwise graduate. The numbers you mention only work out for 93 credit hours of 3.27 (y=(3.27*93+4x)/(93+x)). That means you're basically trying to do your entire senior year over a summer semester.

Spread it out over the three semesters you are supposed to actually take.


I'm not sure where you got that formula, but i can assure you that I am supposed to graduate in december.

I can opt to take more classes my final semester, but then i wont graduate until december and Ill be applying to schools with a ~3.38 ( assuming a take 5 classes this summer)

Or i can take 7 classes and get a 3.41, would that be just as insignificant as 3.44 vs. 3.45?

Would applying to a school like penn be significantly impacted if i applied with a 3.35 vs a 3.41 vs a 3.45, there just isnt enough data on LSN to know. and since both are below the bottom 25% i was just curious


Up until now you have omitted key pieces of information (i.e. target school, credit hours taken, why you are "supposed to graduate" in december). Your plan is a wash if you're trying to get do this to boost your chances at Penn since your GPA will still be below their 25th percentile. You have basically as good a chance at getting in with a 3.35 as a 3.45.

In general, it's a good idea to try and boost your GPA if the alternative is just putzing around for a year before law school, since GPA is probably ~45% of your admission file (with LSAT ~45%, everything else ~10%). If you're targeting specifically one school, which may be a bad idea, then your plan needs to be tailored to improve your chances at that school. In this case, you're going to kill yourself for a summer that you could be getting good WE or doing something productive for the sole purpose of increasing your GPA a negligible amount for admissions purposes at your target school.

There also appears to be no reason for you to try and rush your graduation in december. If you're loading up on courses so that you can graduate five months early so that you can wait a year to apply to law school, don't you think that's a bit foolish? If you really want to load up on courses in the summer, fall and spring (say, 15 21 21, which is closer to a standard 12-18-18 full load), graduate on a normal time frame in the spring, and then get your GPA above Penn's 25th which gives you a significant boost.

You're also gambling on your ability to make A's, so factor that in. If your GPA is a 3.91, there's a fair chance you can ace easy classes, but just be careful and you should understand that you could get a few B's or even A-'s that can ruin your plan if you don't eclipse Penn's 25th, and it could even go up again which would again make your plan a wash.

User avatar
mvonh001
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:49 pm

Re: 3.44 vs 3.45

Postby mvonh001 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:05 pm

john7234797 wrote:Maybe call Penn and speak to an Admissions officer and see what they see? I'm sure they'll say the higher the GPA the better but maybe you can get them to give you an answer on GPA cutoffs this year or something.



good idea... thanks.


cahwc12 wrote:
mvonh001 wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:
mvonh001 wrote:Will it make a difference? I ask because if i take 27 credits this summer ill end up with a 3.44 assuming all A's, but if i take 30 credits ill get a 3.45, but if i get just 1 B+ out of those 30 credits it will drop down to a 3.43. So im wondering if i should take the extra class or just take 9 classes and be able to focus all of my attention on them. But now after typing this i realize that what will 1 more class really do?? am i right, or wrong? whats your opinion?


As someone who averaged overload semesters of difficult coursework throughout most of undergrad (~19 hours) and took full loads in the summer, you're going to crash and burn. If you want to bring your GPA up specifically for law school, it isn't the worst idea in the world to stay an extra year and take 50-60 credits.

More importantly though, you didn't mention that you aren't even in position to otherwise graduate. The numbers you mention only work out for 93 credit hours of 3.27 (y=(3.27*93+4x)/(93+x)). That means you're basically trying to do your entire senior year over a summer semester.

Spread it out over the three semesters you are supposed to actually take.


I'm not sure where you got that formula, but i can assure you that I am supposed to graduate in december.

I can opt to take more classes my final semester, but then i wont graduate until december and Ill be applying to schools with a ~3.38 ( assuming a take 5 classes this summer)

Or i can take 7 classes and get a 3.41, would that be just as insignificant as 3.44 vs. 3.45?

Would applying to a school like penn be significantly impacted if i applied with a 3.35 vs a 3.41 vs a 3.45, there just isnt enough data on LSN to know. and since both are below the bottom 25% i was just curious


I'm tired of trying to help people on this forum and they omit key pieces of information (i.e. target school, credit hours taken, why you are "supposed to graduate" in december) when asking for advice, and or just disregard it entirely based on predefined parameters. Your plan is a wash if you're trying to get do this to boost your chances at Penn since your GPA will still be below their 25th percentile. You have basically as good a chance at getting in with a 3.35 as a 3.45.

In general, it's a good idea to try and boost your GPA if the alternative is just putzing around for a year before law school, since GPA is probably ~45% of your admission file (with LSAT ~45%, everything else ~10%). If you're targeting specifically one school, which may be a bad idea, then your plan needs to be tailored to improve your chances at that school. In this case, you're going to kill yourself for a summer that you could be getting good WE or doing something productive for the sole purpose of increasing your GPA a negligible amount for admissions purposes at your target school.

There also appears to be no reason for you to try and rush your graduation in december. If you're loading up on courses so that you can graduate five months early so that you can wait a year to apply to law school, don't you think that's a bit foolish? If you really want to load up on courses in the summer, fall and spring (say, 15 21 21, which is closer to a standard 12-18-18 full load), graduate on a normal time frame in the spring, and then get your GPA above Penn's 25th which gives you a significant boost.


I'm Sorry. I have taken 118 credits, target school si UPenn but will accept nearly anything in the T14, and im supposed to graduate in December because i already applied for graduation at that time and would like to get all my applications out by this october (2013). I know people hear dont want to hear about my projected LSAT but im currently PTing in the 172-177 range. So hopefully a 173, but possibly as low as a 170.

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: 3.44 vs 3.45

Postby cahwc12 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:04 pm

mvonh001 wrote:I'm Sorry. I have taken 118 credits, target school si UPenn but will accept nearly anything in the T14, and im supposed to graduate in December because i already applied for graduation at that time and would like to get all my applications out by this october (2013). I know people hear dont want to hear about my projected LSAT but im currently PTing in the 172-177 range. So hopefully a 173, but possibly as low as a 170.


It seems that you've miscalculated your projected GPA boost. 118 credits of 3.27 means your plan of 27 credits of straight A's will bring your GPA up to 3.406 and 30 credits of straight A's will bring it to 3.417, not the 3.44 and 3.45 in the thread title. (y=(3.27*118+4x)/(118+x))

Between the larger number of credits and your target GPA (~3.58 or higher), it would take 87 credits of straight A's to get there. (3.45 would take 39 credits and 3.44 would take 36 credits.) Really the entire base for your thread is already moot because you need a 3.55+ (probably closer to 3.6) to break Penn's 25th percentile, and it's going to be tough for you to pull that off within a calendar year.

User avatar
mvonh001
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:49 pm

Re: 3.44 vs 3.45

Postby mvonh001 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:17 pm

I have used laws cool predictor gpa calculator, but I believe your calculations. So I take it from the consensus here that as long as my gpa is below the 25th per entire, which it will be, then there is little benefit of raising it that much higher?

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: 3.44 vs 3.45

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:11 pm

mvonh001 wrote:I have used laws cool predictor gpa calculator, but I believe your calculations. So I take it from the consensus here that as long as my gpa is below the 25th per entire, which it will be, then there is little benefit of raising it that much higher?


If the only school you applied to was Penn then yes there would be some benefit, but not much. Since you will apply to they schools though, presumable some with worse gpa's then Penn, there may be more benefit to a solid boost. Isn't NUs 25% 3.33 or something right now? Would look it up but on iPhone and lazy. Point is, the few points of gpa boost may matter more for whatever back up schools you apply to if Penn rejects ya.

User avatar
WhiteyCakes
Posts: 1390
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Delete this thread please. I got my answer

Postby WhiteyCakes » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:14 pm

Quality thread OP

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Delete this thread please. I got my answer

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:25 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:Quality thread OP


I think we should make it a mission that this thread reaches 100 pages.

User avatar
mvonh001
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:49 pm

Re: Delete this thread please. I got my answer

Postby mvonh001 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:40 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:Quality thread OP


Micdiddy wrote:
WhiteyCakes wrote:Quality thread OP


I think we should make it a mission that this thread reaches 100 pages.


I literally LOL'ed




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], GoGreen17 and 9 guests