Should I mention my boyfriend who studied at XX school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
KarenJBY

Should I mention my boyfriend who studied at XX school?

Postby KarenJBY » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:09 pm

Hi guys, I'm going to have an interview with a law school. I know that sometimes school asks whether you know anyone that has studied at our school. My boyfriend just graduated from the undergraduate program of the school and is working in the city, and that's the primary reason why I want to attend that law school. So I wonder should I say I have this reason blablabla... since I'm also worried if it si unprofessional to mention boyfriend?

Thank you guys!

patrickd139

Re: Should I mention my boyfriend who studied at XX school?

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:35 pm

KarenJBY wrote:Hi guys, I'm going to have an interview with a law school. I know that sometimes school asks whether you know anyone that has studied at our school. My boyfriend just graduated from the undergraduate program of the school and is working in the city, and that's the primary reason why I want to attend that law school. So I wonder should I say I have this reason blablabla... since I'm also worried if it si unprofessional to mention boyfriend?

Thank you guys!

On an application? No. That blank is for legacy purposes. Your boyfriend graduating from the undergrad is not a legacy purpose.

In an interview? Yes, given the opportunity to volunteer the information is raised in an appropriate circumstance.

P-salms

Postby P-salms » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 pm

For what it's worth, I mentioned a significant other as been part of the reason for wanting to go to "X school" in my "why x essay", and was accepted.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:30 pm

patrickd139 wrote:On an application? No. That blank is for legacy purposes. Your boyfriend graduating from the undergrad is not a legacy purpose.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”