My Ignorance of Fee Waivers

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
whereskyle

My Ignorance of Fee Waivers

Postby whereskyle » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:21 pm

Hey all,

I applied to a select few schools this cycle, as a result in part of my complete ignorance of fee waivers. As I have now witnessed the wisdom of applying to as many schools as possible, I wonder if anyone may be so generous as to explain to me how fee waivers can help me fund $2,000.00 or so worth of application submissions.

Thank you in advance to whomever would be so kind.

Midas Whale

Re: My Ignorance of Fee Waivers

Postby Midas Whale » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:37 pm

Send a generic email to all the schools you want to apply to asking for a merit based fee waiver. The basic template in this guide worked pretty well for me:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/guide-to ... ivers.html

ArchieHicox

Postby ArchieHicox » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:56 pm

I applied to 12 schools, and asked for fee waivers at I think probably 8 of them. Every single time I was given a fee waiver, and the only place I didn't ask for a fee waiver (and spent $60 on an app for) sent me one a week after I applied. I didn't ask them because there weren't any "F" on LSN next to them, and I wish I did. Seriously, just ask it does not hurt.

It probably saved me ~$500. I sent out 12 apps and only paid for 1.

My standard email was,

Hi,

My name is ---- -----. I am interested in applying to X law school and wanted to know if X school offers fee waivers. My LSAT score was --- and my LSAC # is -----------.

Thanks,
------- ---------

ETA: Actually the University of Iowa turned me down for a fee waiver (granted I asked in the beginning of March so....). So like 9/10. Still great odds, and worst case they say no and you are no worse off.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:21 pm

Thanks a lot, you all. Is it ever too early to request one? (interested in upcoming app cycle.)

talesofyore

Postby talesofyore » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:28 pm

A bunch of the fee waivers I got were linked directly to LSAC and didn't require me typing in a code, so I'd imagine in those cases the application has to at least be open first.

If they say no to merit-based, ask for need-based waivers as well. I didn't qualify for merit-based in some cases, and so I asked for need-based. These require that you fill out a short form with your financial info. It isn't as stringent as applying for LSAC fee waivers (LSAC seems to be stingy with those), because I got it in every case and it's not like I'm at the poverty line or anything.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”