Engineering Job or Law School?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Engineering or Law?

Engineering Job (60k)
75%
Law School then Patent Lawyer (120k)
25%

Total votes: 56

IPLaw4Me

Engineering Job or Law School?

Postby IPLaw4Me » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:49 am

I see and hear how how bad the legal market is, yet for some reason I can't stay away. I am an EE considering Patent Law that could lead to a job making 120k. I already have an offer on the table to be an engineer for 60k. Opinions? Thoughts? Hours will be much better as an engineer, but law is my true passion. I want to pick one or the other and stick with it, so the advice of work for a couple years and go to school later is not something I want to do. Engineering job can be six figures eventually but I would guess that is ten or so years down the road. Anyways, have at it.
Last edited by IPLaw4Me on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronck

Re: Engineering Job or Law School?

Postby Bronck » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:11 am

Why is law your "true passion"?

Why won't you have any debt if you go to law school? Do you have money saved up? Will parents be covering the cost?

Do you have an LSAT score yet? What's your GPA?

star fox

Postby star fox » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:21 am

EE is an extremely difficult UG major. What was your GPA?

ajr

Postby ajr » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:30 am

Work as an engineer for a while. Eventually you'll get shit bored in a few years. Then go to law school.

IPLaw4Me

Postby IPLaw4Me » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:30 am

Last edited by IPLaw4Me on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ajr

Postby ajr » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:35 am

ajr wrote:Work as an engineer for a while. Eventually you'll get shit bored in a few years. Then go to law school.

Not to mention, law school is a lot more fun. But you shouldn't blow it up just as yet.

2012LSATaker

Postby 2012LSATaker » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:38 am

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:42 am

IPLaw4Me wrote:Trying not to give out too much info but GPA above 3.5 and LSAT score is above average. Schollys plus family aid.

You have to give a pretty exact GPA and LSAT for anyone to give you advice that isn't completely baseless.

IPLaw4Me

Postby IPLaw4Me » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:46 am

Have a T30 offer but would rather go to a regional school. Not looking to be in NYC or anything...

Aawaldrop

Postby Aawaldrop » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:55 am

Take the job and get experience. Law school isn't going anywhere and time to retake + job experience will net you better schools and scholarships and better employment prospects post law school.

indo

Postby indo » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:58 am

Aawaldrop wrote:Take the job and get experience. Law school isn't going anywhere and time to retake + job experience will net you better schools and scholarships and better employment prospects post law school.

+1 great advice

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:38 am

Aawaldrop wrote:Take the job and get experience. Law school isn't going anywhere and time to retake + job experience will net you better schools and scholarships and better employment prospects post law school.

This. Also, do not go to a t30 at sticker. Retake the LSAT. Above average = a lifetime of debt you will likely not ever pay off. This is our reality, conform or perish.

Edit: no debt equals scholly or parents/savings? There is a difference.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:53 am

I know students at my law school with engineering undergrad degrees who struck out at OCI and are still jobless.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:39 am

post-employment from law school is unpredictable and difficult to get.

stick with your engineering 60 k job and I would not go near any law school.

cronous

Postby cronous » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:15 am

IPLaw4Me wrote:I see and hear how how bad the legal market is, yet for some reason I can't stay away. I am an EE considering Patent Law that could lead to a job making 120k. I already have an offer on the table to be an engineer for 60k. Opinions? Thoughts? Hours will be much better as an engineer, but law is my true passion. I want to pick one or the other and stick with it, so the advice of work for a couple years and go to school later is not something I want to do. Engineering job can be six figures eventually but I would guess that is ten or so years down the road. Anyways, have at it.

Edit: Forgot to mention... I will not have any debt if I go to law school

One alternative option would be to try to get a job as a Patent Agent. You can sample what the work is like with no down payment on a law degree (honestly what a patent agent does is not really different what a patent attorney does). Also there are law firms out there that would pay for a part time law degree if you work for them for awhile.

Black-Blue

Postby Black-Blue » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:49 am

I see and hear how how bad the legal market is, yet for some reason I can't stay away. I am an EE considering Patent Law that could lead to a job making 120k.

Yes, that is "could." Not so long ago, there were people reporting striking out even with PhDs in EE.

but law is my true passion.

I don't think Patent law is a field that people practice in passionately.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:52 am

How the fuck do you know law is a passion of yours?

Gunnar Stahl

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:58 am

Take the job.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:22 pm

IPLaw4Me wrote:Trying not to give out too much info but GPA above 3.5 and LSAT score is above average. Schollys plus family aid.

Technically anything above a 151 is above average... you won't receive any practical advice if you're going to be so vague about your numbers. A "T30 offer" is also extremely vague. I'm guessing you have an offer from a school ranked somewhere around 27 or 28, in which case law school (even if you're going to practice patent law) wouldn't make a whole lot of sense right now.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:25 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:

Technically anything above a 151 is above average... you won't receive any practical advice if you're going to be so vague about your numbers. A "T30 offer" is also extremely vague. I'm guessing you have an offer from a school ranked somewhere around 27 or 28, in which case law school (even if you're going to practice patent law) wouldn't make a whole lot of sense right now.

EE at a T30 with no debt will style on the average Yale grad.

Spartan_Alum_12

Postby Spartan_Alum_12 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:55 am

OP, what aspects about engineering do like like/dislike? If you believe you will enjoy yourself working as an engineer or are on the fence about it, take the job. On the other hand, if you can't stand the thought of working as an engineer, then do something else with your degree. Do you like to write about and explain designs/ideas more than doing the "hands on" work? If so, maybe patent law would be a better fit for you than engineering. However, if you don't enjoy reading and writing like a lot of engineers, don't go into patent law.

Working as an engineer is the safer more practical choice, which is why most people in this thread are pushing you toward that, but if you don't want to do it, don't do it. EE patent law is no guarantee, but it's a lot better than most legal fields. If you get a job in the field it will pay much better than engineering. I would research and get as much information about the field as possible, then if 1. you're more than 95% sure you don't to work as an engineer and 2. could see yourself doing this kind of work the rest of your life, go to law school.

iamlovely

Postby iamlovely » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:11 pm

iamlovely

Postby iamlovely » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:22 pm

Matth0011

Postby Matth0011 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:29 pm

I was in your same situation 4 years ago as another ee patent interest. My career path has worked well for me and I recommend it for you.

Step 1
Apply to work at the patent office as an examiner. Within two years, you will know if you actually like patent prosecution. It is not for everyone, but does lead to very steady work. It will also lead to a higher than 60k salary if you are good at it.

After a year or two, if you really like patent law then
Step 2
Go to a inexpensive law school part time. The patent office allows you to live anywhere in the continental US and go to law school working remotely at a certain level. I'm currently finishing my 1L year and I will also say the work helps with legal studies. Right now, I'm able to take care of most of the costs of law school.

Step 3
Go to a firm or stay at the PTO or another government agency maintaining your benefits
I haven't gotten here yet, but there are options you have once your in the Patent field that are not just the big law firm world. By working at the PTO, it does allow you to realize other avenues for a legal degree.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:07 am

Matth0011 wrote:I was in your same situation 4 years ago as another ee patent interest. My career path has worked well for me and I recommend it for you.

Step 1
Apply to work at the patent office as an examiner. Within two years, you will know if you actually like patent prosecution. It is not for everyone, but does lead to very steady work. It will also lead to a higher than 60k salary if you are good at it.

After a year or two, if you really like patent law then
Step 2
Go to a inexpensive law school part time. The patent office allows you to live anywhere in the continental US and go to law school working remotely at a certain level. I'm currently finishing my 1L year and I will also say the work helps with legal studies. Right now, I'm able to take care of most of the costs of law school.

Step 3
Go to a firm or stay at the PTO or another government agency maintaining your benefits
I haven't gotten here yet, but there are options you have once your in the Patent field that are not just the big law firm world. By working at the PTO, it does allow you to realize other avenues for a legal degree.

Would you please elaborate more on step 2?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”