Do late applicants trump early apps with lower #s?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
chrislee012

Do late applicants trump early apps with lower #s?

Postby chrislee012 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:40 pm

Specifically, my question is: Do applicants who apply near/at the deadline get in over an applicant who applied very early in the cycle but have been put on hold? I am in second review at GSU since january and I was emailed that they extended the deadline to April 1st. To answer my question, Does this mean people who apply between now and the deadline with very marginally better numbers than mine (ie. i have a 158 and a later applicant with a 159) get accepted over me? I am figuring so, as law school admissions seems to be all a numbers game. Thanks TLS peeps.

Micdiddy

Re: Do late applicants trump early apps with lower #s?

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:08 am

Yeah basically. Why wouldn't they want the person with higher numbers?

chrislee012

Postby chrislee012 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:17 am

i see.. i just dont understand why the common advice to splitters then is to apply early. i cant see this being advantageous as they will generally hold your file as a splitter and then review it later when they have more applicants.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:37 am

chrislee012 wrote:i see.. i just dont understand why the common advice to splitters then is to apply early. i cant see this being advantageous as they will generally hold your file as a splitter and then review it later when they have more applicants.

It's the common advice to everybody. It shows more of a commitment, and since few people do it they will have more time to review your app and give it special attention. Also, they start off with a full coffer of cash to distribute. Also, they may accept you before half the apps are even in yet. Applying earlier is definitely, without question, the best thing to do.
With that said, since they haven't made a decision for you yet, you're still going to be judged in comparison to remaining applicants, and at this point they prob just want numbers. Sorry.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”