Are study abroad courses counted in my LSAC GPA?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
seagan823

Are study abroad courses counted in my LSAC GPA?

Postby seagan823 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:05 am

I spent a semester abroad where I received letter grades. The grades appear on my transcript but were not included in the GPA calculation at my school. From what I have read it seems like LSAC would include these in their calculation. This would raise my gpa only .05, but considering I am in the 25th-50th range at my target schools, and those 25th-50th ranges are small, this could help as it would push me even further towards the median. Not that it really matters unless I kill it on my LSAT in October, but I was just curious.

magp90

Re: Are study abroad courses counted in my LSAC GPA?

Postby magp90 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:10 am

Unless you studied abroad for a year or more, there's a significant chance that they will not be considered, especially since the LSAC doesn't even ask for an official transcript to confirm the grades if you were just there for a semester.

guano

Postby guano » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:29 am

magp90 wrote:Unless you studied abroad for a year or more, there's a significant chance that they will not be considered, especially since the LSAC doesn't even ask for an official transcript to confirm the grades if you were just there for a semester.

this is completely wrong

If your study abroad was through your US school, and the grades show up on the transcript from your US institution, they will be counted.

When the grades do not get included is if they did not show up on a transcript from a US institution (usually, when you studied abroad for more than a year).

magp90

Postby magp90 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:36 am

guano wrote:
magp90 wrote:Unless you studied abroad for a year or more, there's a significant chance that they will not be considered, especially since the LSAC doesn't even ask for an official transcript to confirm the grades if you were just there for a semester.

this is completely wrong

If your study abroad was through your US school, and the grades show up on the transcript from your US institution, they will be counted.

When the grades do not get included is if they did not show up on a transcript from a US institution (usually, when you studied abroad for more than a year).

Gotcha, yeah, I didn't go abroad with my home institution, so sorry about that!

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:51 am

guano wrote:

this is completely wrong

He's not "completely wrong." While you're correct that if the grades show up on your US transcript, they'll be counted, that is by no means the most common case. I did two study abroad programs, a language program with a professor from my home institution, and a student exchange program. The former had grades from my home institution and counted as a language credit taught by the home professor; however, the student exchange credits were simply listed as transfer credit, despite having arranged the program through my home school's SA office, and everyone I've spoken to who has done any study abroad that wasn't some kind of guided program has reported something similar. Many, if not most, study abroad experiences are student exchanges rather than guided programs, so you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the idea of SA credit not showing up in the LSAC GPA.

Bottom line for SA: Any grades that were assigned by a professor from your home institution, and which show up as letter grades on your transcript, will be counted. Grades that show up as transfer credit, and in some cases those that show up as pass/fail, will not. If you have more than a year's worth of the latter type, you need to get a transcript from the foreign institution at which you studied; if you have less than a year's worth, your transcript just shows that you graduated with slightly fewer credit hours.

seagan823

Postby seagan823 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:33 pm

Thanks to everyone for their input. My case is strange, in that the grades from my study abroad coarses counted as transfer credit for the purposes of calculating my GPA/meeting major requirements, but were recorded as letter grades on my transcript. It sounds like the probably count, since LSAC seems to simply look at letter grades and input them into their own calculator.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”