Deferring

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
arkgawilson

Deferring

Postby arkgawilson » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:19 pm

Hi TLS folks!

I had a question about deferring for a year. I'm applying this Fall for 2014 entrance. However, the graduate program I am in will not end next summer as I anticipated, and will likely make me go through next Fall. I know in (most) programs, deferring for a year is acceptable. While I know this is probably program specific, do any TLS'ers have any experience with this, and whether it would be best to wait until next year to apply (which I'd rather avoid) or apply this Fall and defer? Do programs normally let you keep any $$ if you defer for a year?

Thanks in advance

Re: Deferring

Postby 02889 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:42 pm

If you have to defer because you're already committed to a program (or job or whatever), I don't see why you wouldn't just wait to apply. The benefits for you are that your application will be stronger with a better resume and you will have more experience to discuss in your essays. Also, schools probably get pretty irritated when you defer attendance to complete a program/job you already knew about when you applied.

As for the last question, I think yes, you lose your shot at scholarship money by deferring.

arkgawilson

Re: Deferring

Postby arkgawilson » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:48 pm

02889 wrote:If you have to defer because you're already committed to a program (or job or whatever), I don't see why you wouldn't just wait to apply. The benefits for you are that your application will be stronger with a better resume and you will have more experience to discuss in your essays. Also, schools probably get pretty irritated when you defer attendance to complete a program/job you already knew about when you applied.

As for the last question, I think yes, you lose your shot at scholarship money by deferring.

Thanks for the response. As far as the materials that LSAC already has, such as letters of rec, would those need the dates updated or would they be fine with this years date, though it looks like I will likely apply next year? I know the transcript will need to be updated.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”