Fellowship at a 2nd tier school vs no fellowship top 50

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
RS8726

Fellowship at a 2nd tier school vs no fellowship top 50

Postby RS8726 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:42 pm

Hi TLS, I recently interviewed as a finalist for a fellowship in environmental law at a second tier law school (ranked in the 80's according to USNWR), but also got accepted to a school ranked in the 40's. The school in the 40's isn't as highly ranked in environmental law (which is what I want to practice) as the school in the 80's, but the overall strength of the program makes me feel as though I should attend said school. If I do get the fellowship (given to less than five students in last year's incoming class), should I choose the lower ranked school? Should I even be considering attending a lower ranked school? Obviously the difference in rankings between the two schools is huge. I'm a naive 0L who really needs advice!

rad lulz

Re: Fellowship at a 2nd tier school vs no fellowship top 50

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:44 pm

RS8726 wrote:Hi TLS, I recently interviewed as a finalist for a fellowship in environmental law at a second tier law school (ranked in the 80's according to USNWR), but also got accepted to a school ranked in the 40's. The school in the 40's isn't as highly ranked in environmental law (which is what I want to practice) as the school in the 80's, but the overall strength of the program makes me feel as though I should attend said school. If I do get the fellowship (given to less than five students in last year's incoming class), should I choose the lower ranked school? Should I even be considering attending a lower ranked school? Obviously the difference in rankings between the two schools is huge. I'm a naive 0L who really needs advice!

USNWR rankings don't matter for getting a job

Specialty rankings don't matter for getting a job

lawschooltransparency.com

Enjoy

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:57 am

rad lulz wrote:USNWR rankings don't matter for getting a job

Specialty rankings don't matter for getting a job

One of these two is correct. But definitely head to LST and check it out.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:40 am

RS8726 wrote:Hi TLS, I recently interviewed as a finalist for a fellowship in environmental law at a second tier law school (ranked in the 80's according to USNWR), but also got accepted to a school ranked in the 40's. The school in the 40's isn't as highly ranked in environmental law (which is what I want to practice) as the school in the 80's, but the overall strength of the program makes me feel as though I should attend said school. If I do get the fellowship (given to less than five students in last year's incoming class), should I choose the lower ranked school? Should I even be considering attending a lower ranked school? Obviously the difference in rankings between the two schools is huge. I'm a naive 0L who really needs advice!

You aren't going to get a job in environmental law from either of these places. If you choose to disbelieve me, ask for contact information of recent alumni who had specific interests in environmental law, or who had your specific offered fellowship.

Environmental law is mostly a fairy-tale-type job that a lot of people would kill for. When half of the graduating class at much better schools is unemployed, do you think that job you're targeting is going to go to you, a graduate of worse-regarded institution? Or will it more likely go to the hundreds of otherwise unemployed T14 grads?

Those jobs will be long gone by the time you get to the front of the buffet line.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”