Is a LOCI appropriate if you’re not on the waitlist?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Steve2207

Is a LOCI appropriate if you’re not on the waitlist?

Postby Steve2207 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:32 pm

I am still waiting on my top pick to respond to the application that was sent in around Thanksgiving. Since the time that I applied, I have actually [almost] made up my mind to attend another school, but I am reluctant to pay the seat deposit without at least hearing a decision from this school. Is it ok to write a LOCI if you haven’t been waitlisted, or would this just come across as being impatient? Not sure what the best approach is here, because I believe that I am more or less being viewed as a waitlist applicant by this point, even though I have not officially been informed I am waitlisted.

AlanShore

Re: Is a LOCI appropriate if you’re not on the waitlist?

Postby AlanShore » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:36 pm

I was in a similar situation, not on WL and sent a LOCI. i got in. i think if you word it in a way where you're not pushy but reiterating your interest AND you have something to add (extracurricular activity, work, updated transcript), its fine.

Steve2207

Postby Steve2207 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:08 pm

Should I include the due date of the other schools deposit, or is it best to keep my mouth shut about that? I can actually inform them of an update on my GPA, although it fell from a .58 to a .52, so I cannot see how that would help me any. On the other hand, I doubt it would hurt me much either at this point, using that as an excuse to contact them and express my continued interest may actually outweigh the damage (if there is any) of the small decrease.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:18 am

Steve2207 wrote:Should I include the due date of the other schools deposit, or is it best to keep my mouth shut about that? I can actually inform them of an update on my GPA, although it fell from a .58 to a .52, so I cannot see how that would help me any. On the other hand, I doubt it would hurt me much either at this point, using that as an excuse to contact them and express my continued interest may actually outweigh the damage (if there is any) of the small decrease.

Yes, sending and LOCI is completely fine(I may or may not have done it), but I wouldnt mention another school's deadline, the earliest the deadline can be is April 1st, and a lot of schools wait to decide on boardline applicants a week or two before that. If they ask to be update on your Gpa, then you should....but surely you have something to write about, at the very least write about how this school fits in one with your career goals.

Steve2207

Postby Steve2207 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:08 pm

Actually, the date on my status checker was just updated today, so maybe I will wait a couple days and see if anything happens.

MASSattack1

Postby MASSattack1 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:49 pm

Feel like I might be borderline at my top choice so I'm thinking of sending a LOCI.

Would updating them on my first semester senior year grades and GPA (GPA went up, although barely), and reaffirming my desire to go there be appropriate?

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:06 pm

I don't understand why anyone would send a LOCI before a school made a decision--it only makes you come off as impatient.

LittleTree

Postby LittleTree » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:14 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:I don't understand why anyone would send a LOCI before a school made a decision--it only makes you come off as impatient.

Stanford's dean has specifically stated that they appreciate LOCIs before a decision has been made - --LinkRemoved--

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:17 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:I don't understand why anyone would send a LOCI before a school made a decision--it only makes you come off as impatient.

If you're trying to prevent a ding, why wouldn't you send it beforehand. An LOCI is no good if you've been rejected. I think if it's been a bit it's fine, but under a month or something and that is a little much.

Steve2207

Postby Steve2207 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:58 pm

Just got an e-mail from them. I am in!

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:59 pm

LittleTree wrote:

Stanford's dean has specifically stated that they appreciate LOCIs before a decision has been made - --LinkRemoved--

I retract my statement. In the words of Rick Perry, "Oops."

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:44 am

PRgradBYU wrote:
LittleTree wrote:

I retract my statement. In the words of Rick Perry, "Oops."

:mrgreen:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”