Chances of Getting into Law School

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rad lulz

Re: Chances of Getting into Law School

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:55 pm

sheilalawyer wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Dude go try to have sex w some girls or something bro

I'm a girl, bro.

Also shit you are 17 that's some statutory shit

You should go chill at the mall n see some PG13 movies doe

sheilalawyer

Postby sheilalawyer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:56 pm

It's not that I am rushing. I have always wanted to be a lawyer and working in both the legal world and jobs outside of it have not changed that in the slightest. I know it's for me. I would rather get my schooling out of my way now, when I have the opportunity, rather than later on when I have more responsibilties and obligations. Plus, we have a large family business that I will probably end up coming back to manage, so getting school done as soon as I can opens that door for me, amongst other things.

Also, while I understand where many of you are coming from regarding the "life experience", I don't think that is the case for me. I may not have as many years of life experience as most law students, but I don't think I'm entirely lacking in that department either. I've worked as a campaign manager/strategist on a Congressional Campaign, currently hold a full-time job in a large healthcare company, have both internship and volunteer experience in many areas, and have been traveling since a young age. It's not like I'm fresh out of high school without a clue as to how the real world works.[/quote]

So you essentially like working? I never understood why young people rush into so many things. There was a 14 year old in my undergrad. I don't get why he didn't just stay with his peers. He always seemed so lonely and he was really missing out on the whole college experience. If I were him, I would have just stayed within and grew up with my age group and then go to Harvard or something. High school and college were some of the most awesome years ever. The parties, the girls, the traveling and doing stupid things with your friends. Life is a series of stages. Why so eager to fast fowward?.[/quote]

A lot of times its not up to the kid - its the parents pushing them to move as fast as possible[/quote]

Ah, how'd I miss that? Yes, of course.[/quote]

To aid in your attempts to analyze my life choices, it is not my parents who pushed me to do this. They are supportive but, to be honest, even they were apprehensive when I wanted to graduate high school early. I know this is a unique situation and everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but my mind is made up and the opinion of people I do not even know is not going to change that. I just came on here for some law school advice.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:58 pm

sheilalawyer wrote:I know this is a unique situation and everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but my mind is made up and the opinion of people I do not even know is not going to change that. I just came on here for some law school advice.

This is TLS

You get the advice you should hear

Not the advice you necessarily want

sheilalawyer

Postby sheilalawyer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:58 pm

rad lulz wrote:
sheilalawyer wrote:

I'm a girl, bro.

I will be sure to take that fantastic advice under consideration.

sheilalawyer

Postby sheilalawyer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:59 pm

rad lulz wrote:
sheilalawyer wrote:I know this is a unique situation and everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but my mind is made up and the opinion of people I do not even know is not going to change that. I just came on here for some law school advice.

This is TLS

Forgive me for thinking I could get law school advice on Top-Law-Schools.com.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:04 pm

sheilalawyer wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
sheilalawyer wrote:

I'm a girl, bro.

I will be sure to take that fantastic advice under consideration.

that was a treasured part of my upbringing

changed from a boy

into a man

empyreanrrv

Postby empyreanrrv » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:04 pm

Take the LSAT and then come back. When you submit your UG transcript to LSAC, come back with the LSDAS GPA.

Bobnoxious

Postby Bobnoxious » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:05 pm

OP

I'm not sure how the WGU lack of gpa will affect admissions, but the first couple of posters were right. You need to take the LSAT, or if you want to play hypothetical games you could always ask the same question and give a tight range of expected LSAT scores, though that really isn't going to do much in the way of illumination. You really need to know what your official score is to have any idea as to what may happen in the way of admissions.

Good luck, and...plan for the worst, but hope for the best.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:07 pm

lawschoolnumbers.com

Bobnoxious

Postby Bobnoxious » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:10 pm

rad lulz wrote:lawschoolnumbers.com

+1

Bobnoxious

Postby Bobnoxious » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:11 pm

OP

There's another WGU, no gpa poster here - twentypercentmore. Send a pm or something and see if you might be able to get some idea of how it has been for him.

It doesn't look good, though.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/twentypercentmore

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:16 pm

sheilalawyer wrote:It's not that I am rushing. I have always wanted to be a lawyer and working in both the legal world and jobs outside of it have not changed that in the slightest. I know it's for me. I would rather get my schooling out of my way now, when I have the opportunity, rather than later on when I have more responsibilties and obligations. Plus, we have a large family business that I will probably end up coming back to manage, so getting school done as soon as I can opens that door for me, amongst other things.

Also, while I understand where many of you are coming from regarding the "life experience", I don't think that is the case for me. I may not have as many years of life experience as most law students, but I don't think I'm entirely lacking in that department either. I've worked as a campaign manager/strategist on a Congressional Campaign, currently hold a full-time job in a large healthcare company, have both internship and volunteer experience in many areas, and have been traveling since a young age. It's not like I'm fresh out of high school without a clue as to how the real world works.

You will have as many friends in law school as you had when you were 12 and in highschool, but fine, no more critique. I'll assume you have chosen your path. So what advice can we possibly give you? Clearly we do not share your values. Do you want us to tell you to get a high LSAT score? Are you going to ask questions you should know the answer to, like "is being a 17 year old law school candidate going to hurt my chances of admission?" Regarding your specific question: no, your lack of GPA will likely not hurt you. Maybe at the top 3 or 5 schools, but there are "top" schools that accept people with very high LSATS and very low GPAs. Looking at numbers alone, you are in better shape than these people.

As an aside, I'd encourage you to look at med school. People who make it big in law have outstanding interpersonal skills. Maybe your ability to focus and your work ethic can land you a big school and later a big firm, but you'll always be the weird little girl in the basement office if you don't develop the other side of who you are. Sorry I know that is harsh. But relating to other human beings is the most important life skill for lawyer. Can't convince a jury, can't bring in business at the firm, can't network and make partner/ win an election/ receive a judgeship without it. I know it is an assumption, but come on: can you adequately relate to your peers now?

You may not think it's fair, but being smarter and harder working than everybody else isn't enough.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:19 pm

sheilalawyer wrote:It's not that I am rushing. I have always wanted to be a lawyer and working in both the legal world and jobs outside of it have not changed that in the slightest. I know it's for me. I would rather get my schooling out of my way now, when I have the opportunity, rather than later on when I have more responsibilties and obligations. Plus, we have a large family business that I will probably end up coming back to manage, so getting school done as soon as I can opens that door for me, amongst other things.

Also, while I understand where many of you are coming from regarding the "life experience", I don't think that is the case for me. I may not have as many years of life experience as most law students, but I don't think I'm entirely lacking in that department either. I've worked as a campaign manager/strategist on a Congressional Campaign, currently hold a full-time job in a large healthcare company, have both internship and volunteer experience in many areas, and have been traveling since a young age. It's not like I'm fresh out of high school without a clue as to how the real world works.

So you essentially like working? I never understood why young people rush into so many things. There was a 14 year old in my undergrad. I don't get why he didn't just stay with his peers. He always seemed so lonely and he was really missing out on the whole college experience. If I were him, I would have just stayed within and grew up with my age group and then go to Harvard or something. High school and college were some of the most awesome years ever. The parties, the girls, the traveling and doing stupid things with your friends. Life is a series of stages. Why so eager to fast fowward?.[/quote]

A lot of times its not up to the kid - its the parents pushing them to move as fast as possible[/quote]

Ah, how'd I miss that? Yes, of course.[/quote]

To aid in your attempts to analyze my life choices, it is not my parents who pushed me to do this. They are supportive but, to be honest, even they were apprehensive when I wanted to graduate high school early. I know this is a unique situation and everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but my mind is made up and the opinion of people I do not even know is not going to change that. I just came on here for some law school advice.[/quote]

Fair enough. I do apologize. I don't take back what I said about not rushing into things though. That lack of a GPA (or 3.0) is going to hold you back, no matter how strong your softs are. Law schools are numbers whores. You're going to NEED a high LSAT score to offset your GPA. If you've always wanted to an attorney, then you made a huge mistake like many of us had...which is not focus on the importance of attaining a high GPA.

As I've said, get a 175+.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:20 pm

OPs GPA may just be those CC classes

sheilalawyer

Postby sheilalawyer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:37 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:

You will have as many friends in law school as you had when you were 12 and in highschool, but fine, no more critique. I'll assume you have chosen your path. So what advice can we possibly give you? Clearly we do not share your values. Do you want us to tell you to get a high LSAT score? Are you going to ask questions you should know the answer to, like "is being a 17 year old law school candidate going to hurt my chances of admission?" Regarding your specific question: no, your lack of GPA will likely not hurt you. Maybe at the top 3 or 5 schools, but there are "top" schools that accept people with very high LSATS and very low GPAs. Looking at numbers alone, you are in better shape than these people.

As an aside, I'd encourage you to look at med school. People who make it big in law have outstanding interpersonal skills. Maybe your ability to focus and your work ethic can land you a big school and later a big firm, but you'll always be the weird little girl in the basement office if you don't develop the other side of who you are. Sorry I know that is harsh. But relating to other human beings is the most important life skill for lawyer. Can't convince a jury, can't bring in business at the firm, can't network and make partner/ win an election/ receive a judgeship without it. I know it is an assumption, but come on: can you adequately relate to your peers now?

You may not think it's fair, but being smarter and harder working than everybody else isn't enough.

My interpersonal skills are not of the slightest oconcern. All of my previous job history has required strong interpersonal skills and I have never had any issues. For me, my age is just a number, not an indication of who I am or how I relate to people. If nothing else, working on a campaign required constant communication with people and, by the end of the primary election, I had job offers to come work for other candidates in other races. Those that did not know me from a personal standpoint were incredibly surprised, if not shocked, to find out my age. Choose to believe it or not, but I have no problems communicating with or relating to people much older than myself.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:42 pm

sheilalawyer wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:

My interpersonal skills are not of the slightest oconcern. All of my previous job history has required strong interpersonal skills and I have never had any issues. For me, my age is just a number, not an indication of who I am or how I relate to people. If nothing else, working on a campaign required constant communication with people and, by the end of the primary election, I had job offers to come work for other candidates in other races. Those that did not know me from a personal standpoint were incredibly surprised, if not shocked, to find out my age. Choose to believe it or not, but I have no problems communicating with or relating to people much older than myself.

I've worked campaigns.

What did you do, like, exactly, for this campaign? Are you comfy telling us how much you were paid?

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:45 pm

FYI OP, nobody can answer your question without an LSDAS GPA. Even then, lawschoolnumbers.com is your best bet.

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:49 pm

sheilalawyer wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

This is TLS

Forgive me for thinking I could get law school advice on Top-Law-Schools.com.

I don't mean to big-brother you, but this is the kind of attitude that is going to hold you back. Look, if you want to be a lawyer, that's fine and I wish you the best of luck. However, adults know how to take criticism, children do not. Maybe that guy is an idiot asshole, maybe he's not, but your response is demonstrative of your youth.

If you ask people their opinion, you absolutely cannot get angry with their responses. Doing so does nothing to advance your position. And this is precisely why someone so young should not go into law so early.

You're used to being the smartest person in the room, I get that. Meet like half the people on this forum. The thing is, they have the experiential understanding that there is always a bigger fish and to not act like a petulant child when they aren't treated like a MacArthur Genius.

If you have any specific questions at all, fire away. I, and I'm sure many others, will answer them honestly.

As an added note, if you are planning on running your family business, an MBA would probably be more prudent than a law degree. Or maybe consider going for the MBA/JD, but think this through.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:55 pm

NU actually admitted an applicant a lot like OP

she dropped out

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:03 pm

Are we really not calling flame?

Would you really trust a teenager with any kind of real responsibility in your political campaign? Would you really hire a 17 year old for your healthcare company? Unless your parents got you these jobs as personal favors

And if everything somehow is true, what kind of childhood did she have? Graduating at 17? I second the go see a PG-13 movie.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:05 pm

IAFG wrote:NU actually admitted an applicant a lot like OP

she dropped out

Why couldn't she hack it?

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:08 pm

OP sounds like she has piles of mommy and daddy's money lying around, so I say go to law school if you want. It won't ruin your life if you don't have debt.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:10 pm

rad lulz wrote:OPs GPA may just be those CC classes

I just looked up WGU...man, that place is TTT.

This is the university's official motto: "Online. Accelerated. Affordable. Accredited." I kid you not.

OP, if you're real, you should attend a regular four year, dominate, get a 4.0, and ace the LSAT. WGU won't do you any good.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:12 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
rad lulz wrote:OPs GPA may just be those CC classes

I just looked up WGU...man, that place is TTT.

This is the university's official motto: "Online. Accelerated. Affordable. Accredited." I kid you not.

OP, if you're real, you should attend a regular four year, dominate, get a 4.0, and ace the LSAT. WGU won't do you any good.

If OP has a bachelor's already that it for her GPA

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:13 pm

rad lulz wrote:
IAFG wrote:NU actually admitted an applicant a lot like OP

she dropped out

Why couldn't she hack it?

I am guessing she just figured out that law sucks

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”