scored lower on Feb LSAT - explain on LOCI???

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
domori

scored lower on Feb LSAT - explain on LOCI???

Postby domori » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:22 am

I already applied this cycle and while I got into many fantastic schools, I got waitlisted from the school I most wanted to go. To improve my chances, I took the Feb LSAT in hopes of improving my score, but the score actually went down from 170 to 167.

Here's my question - I plan to submit a LOCI in a couple of weeks - should I explain about the lower score in the LOCI or should I not even mention it??

eav1277

Re: scored lower on Feb LSAT - explain on LOCI???

Postby eav1277 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:24 am

interested

ArchieHicox

Postby ArchieHicox » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:23 am

I wouldn't mention it... I don't see how addressing it would benefit you at all, and if anything it would just bring more focus to the lower score.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:24 am

domori wrote:I already applied this cycle and while I got into many fantastic schools, I got waitlisted from the school I most wanted to go. To improve my chances, I took the Feb LSAT in hopes of improving my score, but the score actually went down from 170 to 167.

Here's my question - I plan to submit a LOCI in a couple of weeks - should I explain about the lower score in the LOCI or should I not even mention it??

This is the reason I always advise people not to re-take a 170 or higher unless practicing consistently at near 180. The risk outweighs the potential reward, and the score has a comparatively higher chance of dropping.

For the record, if you write an explanation, make it short and sweet.

"Because I was practicing consistently at a considerably higher score, I believed that I could raise my score. Although my score dropped by a few points I do not regret re-taking the exam because of my consistent practice scores. I believe that my higher score of 170 is a much more accurate indixator of my abilities.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:31 am

PDaddy wrote:
domori wrote:I already applied this cycle and while I got into many fantastic schools, I got waitlisted from the school I most wanted to go. To improve my chances, I took the Feb LSAT in hopes of improving my score, but the score actually went down from 170 to 167.

This is the reason I always advise people not to re-take a 170 or higher unless practicing consistently at near 180. The risk outweighs the potential reward, and the score has a comparatively higher chance of dropping.

For the record, if you write an explanation, make it short and sweet.

"Because I was practicing consistently at a higher level, I believed that I could raise my score. Although my score dropped by a few points I do not regret re-taking the exam because of my consistent practice scores. I believe that my higher score of 170 is a much more accurate indicator of my abilities."

stuckinthemiddle

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:47 am

I wouldn't mention it. Unless they're HYS, I don't think they'll care anyway since they'll be reporting your highest score.

That's bad luck. :( But anything over a 165 statistically holds a significant risk of doing worse. If it's any consolation, I don't think it will affect you much, if at all.

domori

Postby domori » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:02 am

stuckinthemiddle wrote:I wouldn't mention it. Unless they're HYS, I don't think they'll care anyway since they'll be reporting your highest score.

That's bad luck. :( But anything over a 165 statistically holds a significant risk of doing worse. If it's any consolation, I don't think it will affect you much, if at all.

I actually have something to say about the Feb test though. The lights went out (sensor problem or something) and the proctor didn't know how to turn it back on so everyone in the room was stuck in a pitch black room for about 3 minutes during the fifth section (the proctor had to eventually call for help).... not that I think the law schools would give a crap about my situation....

cynthiad

Postby cynthiad » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:48 pm

domori wrote:
stuckinthemiddle wrote:I wouldn't mention it. Unless they're HYS, I don't think they'll care anyway since they'll be reporting your highest score.

I actually have something to say about the Feb test though. The lights went out (sensor problem or something) and the proctor didn't know how to turn it back on so everyone in the room was stuck in a pitch black room for about 3 minutes during the fifth section (the proctor had to eventually call for help).... not that I think the law schools would give a crap about my situation....

That sucks...the lights went off during my test too but they came back on. I would not recommend addressing it. I don't know what school you're waiting on, but my guess is they won't care. (Unless it's HYS, but even then I don't know how writing an addendum would help).

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:12 pm

domori wrote:

Is this interruption on record with the LSAC? If not, do not mention it or the February test at all. Only Y, S, and possibly H would care about the lower score anyway.

domori

Postby domori » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:25 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
domori wrote:

Is this interruption on record with the LSAC? If not, do not mention it or the February test at all. Only Y, S, and possibly H would care about the lower score anyway.

I called LSAC and they said there will be a letter explaining the situation on my file - which supposedly law schools would get to see.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”