Applying fall of senior year or after?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Darmody

Applying fall of senior year or after?

Postby Darmody » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:31 pm

If I have a 3.8 by the time of fall senior year, but I know I can take the extra 2 semesters of my senior year to raise to a 3.83-85, is it worth waiting another year to apply to T14 law schools? I would prefer to go k-jd, but I wouldn't mind taking a year off to work if it gets me a better chance for admission by taking the 2 semesters to raise my gpa.

In short, does the .03-.05 gpa boost have enough significance to wait a year to apply?

star fox

Re: Applying fall of senior year or after?

Postby star fox » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:59 pm

What's your LSAT?

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:43 pm

john7234797 wrote:What's your LSAT?

This. It's going to partially depend on your LSAT score.

albo23

Postby albo23 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:47 pm

Not OP here but how does his situation work out? Say he posts an LSAT below median, should he put more times in undergrad, perhaps take a few BS classes? Or does a year of work experience help him more instead?

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:42 am

albo23 wrote:Not OP here but how does his situation work out? Say he posts an LSAT below median, should he put more times in undergrad, perhaps take a few BS classes? Or does a year of work experience help him more instead?

The answer then is going to be "retake".

To OP - Take the year off either way. Yes, you'd prefer K-JD. Employers won't. You'll be better off all around with a year away from undergrad and some full-time work experience, regardless of the movement on your GPA.

New numbers will be coming out from US News this week, and I'd expect to see some downward movement on the GPA numbers (not much, but you're flirting at the 75% at a few T14s right now). You can check then and reassess. However, my recommendation is still going to be to take the year off anyway.

star fox

Postby star fox » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:30 pm

I'll just give you a little rundown of my situation since I'm kind of in a similar situation as you. I'm a current senior in UG, I'm guessing you're a Junior based off your OP..

This time last year I totally had it set in my mind that I was going to Law School and it would be directly after UG. I definitely did not have a T14 or bust mentality. Just getting into UIUC would have been enough for me to be more than pleased (i go there for UG). I took a Kaplan Course (which apparently was a terrible idea according to the LSAT forum) and studied for the June LSAT the second semester of my Junior year. My goal wasn't really specific beyond "do the best I can". I ended up scoring a 167 and while I was of course hoping to hit that magic 170 I was pretty happy with my score and self-confirmed to myself that I was going to go K-JD. I applied this past fall to the five schools that I would attend with my grades from Freshman-Junior year. Heard back from a few and got a few acceptances before the end of the semester. Got my first semester grades and had all A's (one was an A+ so for the LSAC my GPA was over 4.00). So I submitted my transcript with my fall grades on it which raised my LSAC GPA fairly decently. So now for the three remaining schools that I have to hear from my GPA is higher.

However, in the time between my first and second semester I came across TLS as well as other critical resources (mainly Law School Transparency). I knew the job market was bad, but didn't really know the extent until I saw the specific data. Basically lead me to conclude that my current offers (in my profile) aren't what I want. Not going to withdraw my apps since I've already paid but basically I'm committed to not going to Law School next year. While this goes against what I had thought I'd be doing for the last four years, I definitely feel like getting full-time job experience will be extremely beneficial in the long run. If an employer has a choice between two similar applicants from two similarly-ranked law schools with similar grades, I can't imagine why they would pick the K-JD over the one who has worked in an office for a few years already. As much as it sucks to delay the start of what you're pretty sure (can we ever really be fully sure?) you want to be doing, significantly improving your LSAT score and working makes you a better job applicant and gives you a much better shot at a good entry-level Lawyer job.

I hope you find this helpful. In summary, unless you really knock the ball out of the park on the LSAT, the right decision for most people is to get a job after UG and re-take whatever you originally score to get the highest score possible.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”