Rutgers-Camden Rising 2L Taking Questions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Rising 2L Taking Questions

Postby 20130312 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:26 am

I called you out for lying, and then you went totally ape shit and tried to out me (in fact, there probably is enough info there to out me). You made this personal in your own thread. But ill let you get back to telling 0Ls that they can all have a pony if they really want one.

highlander1
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:03 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Rising 2L Taking Questions

Postby highlander1 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:28 am

LRGhost wrote:
Hey man, I get that there's animosity between the both of you, but talk shit about the dude's answers or apparent belief in hustle being everything if you want to make a statement.


You're right that this is one person's opinion of the school. Which is why I am encouraging other current students / alumni even to join the thread. However, based on my experience, networking did pay off. But yes, I will put in a disclaimer that , again, this is just based on my personal experiences with Rutgers

highlander1
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:03 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Rising 2L Taking Questions

Postby highlander1 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:32 am

InGoodFaith wrote:I called you out for lying, and then you went totally ape shit and tried to out me (in fact, there probably is enough info there to out me). You made this personal in your own thread. But ill let you get back to telling 0Ls that they can all have a pony if they really want one.


Your actions pretty much speak for themselves. Sadly you're probably older than I am... lol. So yeah if it makes you feel better, do whatever you want. I really don't care.

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Rising 2L Taking Questions

Postby LRGhost » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:39 am

highlander1 wrote:
LRGhost wrote:
Hey man, I get that there's animosity between the both of you, but talk shit about the dude's answers or apparent belief in hustle being everything if you want to make a statement.


You're right that this is one person's opinion of the school. Which is why I am encouraging other current students / alumni even to join the thread. However, based on my experience, networking did pay off. But yes, I will put in a disclaimer that , again, this is just based on my personal experiences with Rutgers


The thing is, you got lucky. Like, certifiably lucky. That is to say, all the numbers indicate that what you have accomplished isn't something anyone at your school can accomplish. To suggest that hustle, 'networking', and the right attitude will all but guarantee success is foolish. This is even worse when you talk about not attending unless you're sure that you'll be top 5%.

Nobody can be sure of that.

highlander1 wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:I called you out for lying, and then you went totally ape shit and tried to out me (in fact, there probably is enough info there to out me). You made this personal in your own thread. But ill let you get back to telling 0Ls that they can all have a pony if they really want one.


Your actions pretty much speak for themselves. Sadly you're probably older than I am... lol. So yeah if it makes you feel better, do whatever you want. I really don't care.


You both mentioned outing although you brought it up first. Again, I get that you both have animosity towards one another but take it out IRL. Threatening to out someone is dangerous precedent and it really shouldn't go unpunished for either of you. Some of us like the respite of talking shit or trolling on the internet anonymously or with the implicit understanding that nobody here is going to dig out outing info.

highlander1
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:03 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Rising 2L Taking Questions

Postby highlander1 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:42 am

Take LRG's post as the thread's disclaimer. Yeah I agree with what he or she said. I personally did get very lucky. But again, in a different context, for me networking did pay off. But I never said you shouldn't attend only if you're sure that you'll be top 5%. It's either that OR you do some leg work on your own. Granted that the latter is not a guarantee to a paying job, it has substantially helped many of our grads. Career services data support this ( based on the presentation during one of our seminars. It may not be available to the public)
Last edited by highlander1 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Rising 2L Taking Questions

Postby LRGhost » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:48 am

highlander1 wrote:Take LRG's post as the thread's disclaimer. Yeah I agree with what he or she said. I personally did get very lucky. But again, in a different context, for me networking did pay off.


Yeah, but it's problematic to say that other people can do what you did and achieve the same result. This is also under the assumption that you'll have a job when you graduate. You don't know what may go down. But in the threads about people attending TTTs whether it's here or on other boards or in materials, etc., it always has people talking about "well, it's what you make of it" when the simple fact is that that's not true. Talking about how the education is on par with whatever more successful school is a distraction from the fact that people don't go to a LS for the education necessarily but for the job or opportunities that come with it. The notion that "it's what you make of it" is hurtful to your classmates that don't have jobs because now you're suggesting that they didn't hustle enough, work hard enough, network enough, pound the pavement enough, want a job bad enough, study enough, etc., and I'd bet you that most did a significant amount of work to reach a positive end that just was never going to happen.

highlander1
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:03 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Rising 2L Taking Questions

Postby highlander1 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:00 am

LRGhost wrote:
highlander1 wrote:Take LRG's post as the thread's disclaimer. Yeah I agree with what he or she said. I personally did get very lucky. But again, in a different context, for me networking did pay off.


Yeah, but it's problematic to say that other people can do what you did and achieve the same result. This is also under the assumption that you'll have a job when you graduate. You don't know what may go down. But in the threads about people attending TTTs whether it's here or on other boards or in materials, etc., it always has people talking about "well, it's what you make of it" when the simple fact is that that's not true. Talking about how the education is on par with whatever more successful school is a distraction from the fact that people don't go to a LS for the education necessarily but for the job or opportunities that come with it. The notion that "it's what you make of it" is hurtful to your classmates that don't have jobs because now you're suggesting that they didn't hustle enough, work hard enough, network enough, pound the pavement enough, want a job bad enough, study enough, etc., and I'd bet you that most did a significant amount of work to reach a positive end that just was never going to happen.


Note taken. And things surely can go good or bad. But I do want to point out that it's not impossible from Rutgers. The economy is tough. But I think this place offers a solid education and good opportunities. Personally I think it's a worthwhile investment, in the law school context. Again, if your other similar alternatives are far more expensive.

User avatar
2LT_CPG
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Rising 2L Taking Questions

Postby 2LT_CPG » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:01 am

Where do most 1Ls live, and what exactly is the process for proving residency if we're just now moving to NJ? Googling yields different answers.

And yeah, you two need to stop.

highlander1
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:03 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Rising 2L Taking Questions

Postby highlander1 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:06 am

2LT_CPG wrote:Where do most 1Ls live, and what exactly is the process for proving residency if we're just now moving to NJ? Googling yields different answers.

And yeah, you two need to stop.


A lot of us are commuters from Cherry Hill, Lindewold, etc. I would have to say that a good amount of us do live at the new 330 Cooper building (Which by the way is actually really nice + convenient). If you sign a year long contract with 330 Cooper, then that should be sufficient to get your NJ drivers license (+ your instate rate).

Proving residency, as mentioned above, would require you to have a NJ drivers license. That's the criteria. Or at least it was for my year. The admissions office will work with you regarding the deadline to provide it.

User avatar
2LT_CPG
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Rising 2L Taking Questions

Postby 2LT_CPG » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:33 am

highlander1 wrote:A lot of us are commuters from Cherry Hill, Lindewold, etc. I would have to say that a good amount of us do live at the new 330 Cooper building (Which by the way is actually really nice + convenient). If you sign a year long contract with 330 Cooper, then that should be sufficient to get your NJ drivers license (+ your instate rate).

Proving residency, as mentioned above, would require you to have a NJ drivers license. That's the criteria. Or at least it was for my year. The admissions office will work with you regarding the deadline to provide it.

Cool. I'm planning on moving to a town somewhere along the PATCO, probably Collingswood. Similar question, is it easier as a commuter to drive+park on campus or just take the train? I think I saw parking passes cost something like $1300 for the year.

highlander1
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:03 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Rising 2L Taking Questions

Postby highlander1 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:38 am

2LT_CPG wrote:
highlander1 wrote:A lot of us are commuters from Cherry Hill, Lindewold, etc. I would have to say that a good amount of us do live at the new 330 Cooper building (Which by the way is actually really nice + convenient). If you sign a year long contract with 330 Cooper, then that should be sufficient to get your NJ drivers license (+ your instate rate).

Proving residency, as mentioned above, would require you to have a NJ drivers license. That's the criteria. Or at least it was for my year. The admissions office will work with you regarding the deadline to provide it.

Cool. I'm planning on moving to a town somewhere along the PATCO, probably Collingswood. Similar question, is it easier as a commuter to drive+park on campus or just take the train? I think I saw parking passes cost something like $1300 for the year.


I doubt that it's that expensive for the year (or at least I hope it's not $1300 lol). Most of the students that I know who live in Collingswood and the surrounding areas do take the PATCO unless there is an evening event that they must attend to. I didn't really commute to Rutgers via car or PATCO so I can't answer your question with complete confidence, but I think the PATCO would be more convenient. Sometimes it's tough to find a parking spot (and I do sometimes see classmates living at the Victor come in late because they were unable to find one). Let's not forget the rush hour traffic.

Adding to that, some classmates who commute via car park near the Victor Pub. It's quite a walk.... I think there is a shuttle that takes you back and forth from the lots there to Rutgers. If this is your alternative, I would vote PATCO.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4043
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Rising 2L Taking Questions

Postby North » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:19 am

highlander1 wrote:Note taken. And things surely can go good or bad. But I do want to point out that it's not impossible from Rutgers.

        "COME TO RUTGERS CAMDEN"

        --ImageRemoved--

"WHERE BECOMING A LAWYER ISN'T IMPOSSIBLE"

highlander1
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:03 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Rising 2L Taking Questions

Postby highlander1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:26 am

Out of context. To get a paying firm job for your 1L summer.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Rising 2L Taking Questions

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:33 am

highlander1 wrote:Out of context. To get a paying firm job for your 1L summer.


at least you guys are a real law school...unlike UCI

User avatar
Eberry
Posts: 12188
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:32 am

Re: Rutgers-Camden Rising 2L Taking Questions

Postby Eberry » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:05 am

What the fudge happened in here?

highlander1
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:03 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Rising 2L Taking Questions

Postby highlander1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:20 am

2LT_CPG wrote:
So your class is pretty small. How's everyone get along - tight knit or not? I'm hearing rumblings that my class is going to be a similar size.


Like every school, there are groups of students who hangout among themselves despite the small class size. However, in general, everyone gets along pretty well. My class in general is very helpful, and there isn't anyone who is cutthroat. So, hopefully that would be the case for your class.

I've heard rumors go both ways in regards to your class size. I guess we'll see.

Jobsies
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:38 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Rising 2L Taking Questions

Postby Jobsies » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:33 pm

Are there scholarships for 2L and 3L that can be applied for if you didn't receive a scholarship coming into law school?

highlander1
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:03 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Rising 2L Taking Questions

Postby highlander1 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:17 am

Jobsies wrote:Are there scholarships for 2L and 3L that can be applied for if you didn't receive a scholarship coming into law school?


Yes, they post various scholarships that you can apply for throughout the year. Normally, they are from outside sources.

User avatar
dirtrida2
Posts: 474
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:54 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Rising 2L Taking Questions

Postby dirtrida2 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:27 am

I have recently been scoping out the apartment scene.

While I like the Victor, I also took the time to check out some apartment complexes in nearby collingswood and cherry hill.

Would I be at a disadvantage commuting to school? Is the traffic a real hassle?

Also, does anyone have some insider information on the brownstones in the immediate area? I can't seem to find any for rent, yet I see a ton of "R" logos pasted in the windows - I could only assume that students do reside there.

User avatar
2LT_CPG
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Rising 2L Taking Questions

Postby 2LT_CPG » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:41 am

dirtrida2 wrote:I have recently been scoping out the apartment scene.

While I like the Victor, I also took the time to check out some apartment complexes in nearby collingswood and cherry hill.

Would I be at a disadvantage commuting to school? Is the traffic a real hassle?

Also, does anyone have some insider information on the brownstones in the immediate area? I can't seem to find any for rent, yet I see a ton of "R" logos pasted in the windows - I could only assume that students do reside there.

I second this question. I'm in Philly now, but I'm actively searching with a med student buddy of mine who goes to UMDNJ in Stratford. We've basically settled on Collingswood. But yeah, what's the driving situation?

highlander1
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:03 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Rising 2L Taking Questions

Postby highlander1 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:07 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:I have recently been scoping out the apartment scene.

While I like the Victor, I also took the time to check out some apartment complexes in nearby collingswood and cherry hill.

Would I be at a disadvantage commuting to school? Is the traffic a real hassle?

Also, does anyone have some insider information on the brownstones in the immediate area? I can't seem to find any for rent, yet I see a ton of "R" logos pasted in the windows - I could only assume that students do reside there.


Most of my friends who live off campus take the PATCO to school. Some park at the lots by the Victor, which is pretty far away (although there is a shuttle that takes you back and forth). Personally, I think 330 Cooper is much more convenient than its alternatives. One, it is very close to the PATCO and the school. Two, the SevenEleven on the ground floor is VERY convenient. Based on my experience, being close to the PATCO is worth a lot. That being said, Rutgers Housing is very slow in their responses.

Depending on where you live, you don't normally get traffic into Camden. Parking, however, is a whole different story. One of the most common reasons my friends from the Victor came late to class (when they drove here) was because they were not able to find a parking spot. Granted that these guys did not pay for commuter parking.

Furthermore, unless you feel comfortable taking a nap on the bridge or the library, it is an advantage to be able to go home between your classes to do so.

As for the rest, it would nice if another current student can answer.

User avatar
Niddar
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:11 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Rising 2L Taking Questions

Postby Niddar » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:35 pm

Collingswood is a good spot. Train comes in the morning very quickly and even at night is still somewhat convenient. I would definitely suggest not living on campus. Its too expensive for what it is and there are much better options close by. I know people who live in the Victor too, but that is also very expensive, but is really nice.

Driving to campus from collingswood takes about 10min. or so. Its really not bad. Finding street parking can be annoying though. You can also live in Philadelphia and most likely keep in-state tuition. Talk to admissions about it -- I know several people who live in philly with in-state tuition.

User avatar
dirtrida2
Posts: 474
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:54 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Rising 2L Taking Questions

Postby dirtrida2 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:44 pm

Niddar wrote:Collingswood is a good spot. Train comes in the morning very quickly and even at night is still somewhat convenient. I would definitely suggest not living on campus. Its too expensive for what it is and there are much better options close by. I know people who live in the Victor too, but that is also very expensive, but is really nice.

Driving to campus from collingswood takes about 10min. or so. Its really not bad. Finding street parking can be annoying though. You can also live in Philadelphia and most likely keep in-state tuition. Talk to admissions about it -- I know several people who live in philly with in-state tuition.


From what I have seen in my short stint apartment hunting, it seems as if all the housing options are quite similar in pricing.

The Victor $1095 for a 1bed.
Riverview at Collingswood $1040 for a 1bed.
Apartments in Cherry Hill (Forgot Name) they are right across from the Riverview $1100 for a 1bed.

Anything else I looked at was either too expensive, very dilapidated, or low-income.

The only way I could see one living relatively cheap off campus is if they split a 2 bedroom apartment.

--

I can't seem to find my way into any of the local brownstones. I have only seen 2 posts on craigslist. One was for the 220 Cooper Street Historic Apartments (low-income) and the other was on 2nd street near the Victor, but I have yet to receive a return email.

User avatar
2LT_CPG
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Rising 2L Taking Questions

Postby 2LT_CPG » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:51 pm

Niddar wrote:You can also live in Philadelphia and most likely keep in-state tuition. Talk to admissions about it -- I know several people who live in philly with in-state tuition.

Even if I've never lived in Jersey ever before?

User avatar
Niddar
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:11 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Rising 2L Taking Questions

Postby Niddar » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:08 pm

I wouldn't look at the apartment complexes -- they're going to be more expensive and in many cases less desirable (e.g.: heights of collingswood). Look on craigslist. I have a two-bedroom that my wife and I share in collingswood that we found on craigslist. We pay slightly under 1k for a two bedroom apt. with hardwood floors, basement storage and a shared washer/dryer. Don't forget you can negotiate with landlords -- we offered $100 less per month for our place than the listed rent.

Obviously splitting a two-bedroom apartment is going to be ideal rent-wise. Instead of spending ~1000 yourself you can spend ~500. You should be thinking of ways to keep your costs as low as possible in order to keep debt down. Splitting an apartment is helpful for this.

As far as the brownstones go: I hear that they are nice, depending on the landlord. However, I recall hearing a story of a home invasion in one of them several years back. I don't know if the rumor is true or not though.

I'm not sure if the people who lived in Philly had lived in NJ before -- I assume many have. Not sure how it works, or if there even is a distinction, if you have not lived in NJ before.

dirtrida2 wrote:
Niddar wrote:Collingswood is a good spot. Train comes in the morning very quickly and even at night is still somewhat convenient. I would definitely suggest not living on campus. Its too expensive for what it is and there are much better options close by. I know people who live in the Victor too, but that is also very expensive, but is really nice.

Driving to campus from collingswood takes about 10min. or so. Its really not bad. Finding street parking can be annoying though. You can also live in Philadelphia and most likely keep in-state tuition. Talk to admissions about it -- I know several people who live in philly with in-state tuition.


From what I have seen in my short stint apartment hunting, it seems as if all the housing options are quite similar in pricing.

The Victor $1095 for a 1bed.
Riverview at Collingswood $1040 for a 1bed.
Apartments in Cherry Hill (Forgot Name) they are right across from the Riverview $1100 for a 1bed.

Anything else I looked at was either too expensive, very dilapidated, or low-income.

The only way I could see one living relatively cheap off campus is if they split a 2 bedroom apartment.

--

I can't seem to find my way into any of the local brownstones. I have only seen 2 posts on craigslist. One was for the 220 Cooper Street Historic Apartments (low-income) and the other was on 2nd street near the Victor, but I have yet to receive a return email.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kugs, whsy and 5 guests