Does a LOR from an alumnus mean much at a public law school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
swittig
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:53 pm

Does a LOR from an alumnus mean much at a public law school?

Postby swittig » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:36 am

.
Last edited by swittig on Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: Does a LOR from an alumnus mean much at a public law school?

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:39 am

Not unless the alumnus has their name on a hall or they write you a glowing rec. Either the content has to be amazing or the quality of the alumnus has to be extraordinary.

Otherwise no it doesn't.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Does a LOR from an alumnus mean much at a public law school?

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:49 am

Tina Fey = UVA lock.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Does a LOR from an alumnus mean much at a public law school?

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:23 pm

Unless the alum is a major donor, it wouldn't give you an edge anywhere. And if the alum is not a professor whose class(es) you've taken, then you likely should not submit the letter at all.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Does a LOR from an alumnus mean much at a public law school?

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:43 pm

neither of those schools are worth going to

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2607
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Does a LOR from an alumnus mean much at a public law school?

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:02 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Not unless the alumnus has their name on a hall or they write you a glowing rec. Either the content has to be amazing or the quality of the alumnus has to be extraordinary.

Otherwise no it doesn't.


I somewhat disagree with this and the notion below "unless the alumnus is a major donor"

If the alumnus has what slaw schools A&D offices refer to as "giving potential" it may be a significant fact even if they have not given a dime. Also, 95% of LOR are glowing so along the lines of such letters, they often can only hurt you (the 5% that are not utterly glowing) than help you (hard to differentiate because they are all so fawning) unless the recommender is of special interest to the law school, e.g. has donated, can donate, etc.)

cinnamonchurros
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:43 pm

Re: Does a LOR from an alumnus mean much at a public law school?

Postby cinnamonchurros » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:10 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:If the alumnus has what slaw schools A&D offices refer to as "giving potential" it may be a significant fact even if they have not given a dime.



Did you make up "slaw schools" or was that a typo? Either way, I love it.

EDIT: Quote function fail on my part.

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2607
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Does a LOR from an alumnus mean much at a public law school?

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:23 pm

cinnamonchurros wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:If the alumnus has what slaw schools A&D offices refer to as "giving potential" it may be a significant fact even if they have not given a dime.



Did you make up "slaw schools" or was that a typo? Either way, I love it.

EDIT: Quote function fail on my part.


Totally by accident but think I like it too and think I may just use it again. We need to come up with a definition so to know when it is appropriate and for what schools.

I did used to call one of the former law schools I worked at "Shangri Law" but that was really stupid and I only called it that to myself and really quirky faculty who seemed to get a kick out of it.

cinnamonchurros
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:43 pm

Re: Does a LOR from an alumnus mean much at a public law school?

Postby cinnamonchurros » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:27 pm

MikeSpivey wrote: Total by accident but think I like it too and think I may just use it again. We need to come up with a definition so to know when it is appropriate and for what schools.

I did used to call one of the former law schools I worked at "Shangri Law" but that was really stupid and I only called it that to myself and really quirky faculty who seemed to get a kick out of it.



Please use it again. I would personally use it to describe TTT/T schools in the south. But, as the creator, the final decision of course rests with you.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Does a LOR from an alumnus mean much at a public law school?

Postby bp shinners » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:39 am

The only time something like this will help is if the person who is writing the letter knows who to call to make something like this happen (which implies a large donor or famous alumni), is willing to do so for you, and then does it. If the person can't make the call to get some movement on your app, then it's very, very unlikely a letter from them will weigh any more than the average LoR.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests