To do list before law school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
941law

To do list before law school

Postby 941law » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:05 pm

I'm in the minority on TLS, however, I do think there is stuff to be done:

1. Taking loans? If not, skip to #2. Call your Financial Aid office and find out "when student loan reimbursement typically takes place for first semester 1L's?" It very well might be in week 3-6. They either mail you a check or do direct deposit. I'm assuming they do this late to prevent kids from registering for classes, getting the money, and then bailing. Chances are you need to save as much money as possible to float yourself over x amount of weeks. How will you pay for books?

2. Read Getting to Maybe http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Maybe-Exc ... 0890897603

3. Read Law School Confidential http://www.amazon.com/Law-School-Confid ... nfidential

4. Read as many threads on TLS as you can. Especially Forum for Law Students. Even if it's about a specific class.

5. Watch 'The Paper Chase' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Paper_Chase_%28film%29

6. This point is a little blurry, but personally I don't think it will hurt to get to know your subjects. I'm NOT talking about studying law. Do you know what an appellee is? On the first day of class you will be called on for a case and will be expected to know that. My advice would be after figuring out what your first semester schedule will look like (torts, contracts, etc) go pull a few different cases from http://www.casebriefs.com/blog/category/law/ per your subjects. Leisurely read them. You'll come across words to look up and define. Maybe have a document already started for "Legal Terms." Also, just understanding what your class subjects will be about as a whole. This is just really a tip to give you a head start.
Last edited by 941law on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

drinion

Re: To do list before law school

Postby drinion » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:10 pm

I'm also reviewing symbolic logic and reading Garner's "The Elements of Legal Style".

Lumieres

Postby Lumieres » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:21 pm

Thanks for the book recs.

buddyt

Postby buddyt » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:25 pm

tag

patienunderstanding

Postby patienunderstanding » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:41 pm

And my absolute favorite- quit my job :D

scruffy556

Postby scruffy556 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:54 am

1: quit job -- check
2: break up with girlfriend
2: fix shitty diet
3: get back in shape
4: try to find a place to live so I don't spend law school living out of my car
5: do some life experience
6: drink heavily to prepare my liver for law school and hopefully a career as an attorney
7: ?????
8: profit

guano

Postby guano » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:41 am

1. retake
2. retake
3A. got into HYS? Do next to nothing for the next 3 years and enjoy
3B. got into T14? sort out loans
3C. got into flagship regional with big scholarship? Get your paperwork in order
3D. none of the above? Set new goals for yourself
4A. got money? travel
4B. no money? work, then travel
5. make sure you know your deadlines and get all your paperwork in on time
6. sort out living accommodations
7. get laid, get exceedingly drunk, or both
8. recover by watching a movie marathon
9. kiss your free time goodbye
10. show up to orientation

LaMuSayonga

Postby LaMuSayonga » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:00 am

buddytyler wrote:tag

Void

Postby Void » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:07 am

Why is any of this prep necessary? Nobody cares whether a 1L knows what "appellee" means during the first week- hell, even the first month of law school. 0Ls, I know you are eager to get started and you feel like you need to get a head start on the "competition," but don't be douchey. You learn everything you need to know by doing assigned reading and going to class- once you actually start classes- so just try to relax while you still have actual free time.

941law

Postby 941law » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:21 pm

Void wrote:Why is any of this prep necessary? Nobody cares whether a 1L knows what "appellee" means during the first week- hell, even the first month of law school. 0Ls, I know you are eager to get started and you feel like you need to get a head start on the "competition," but don't be douchey. You learn everything you need to know by doing assigned reading and going to class- once you actually start classes- so just try to relax while you still have actual free time.

I was asked in class, that's why I mentioned it. :roll: and it's just a review of simple stuff that some will know going in and some will not. Not needed of course.

btw, I answered with "the one appealing."

Void

Postby Void » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:48 pm

941law wrote:
Void wrote:Why is any of this prep necessary? Nobody cares whether a 1L knows what "appellee" means during the first week- hell, even the first month of law school. 0Ls, I know you are eager to get started and you feel like you need to get a head start on the "competition," but don't be douchey. You learn everything you need to know by doing assigned reading and going to class- once you actually start classes- so just try to relax while you still have actual free time.

I was asked in class, that's why I mentioned it. :roll: and it's just a review of simple stuff that some will know going in and some will not. Not needed of course.

btw, I answered with "the one appealing."

And getting a question wrong during class doesn't matter at all. I guess I commented because I feel like your advocacy for being prepared implies that 0Ls should feel like they need to be prepared. But the truth, as you know, is that they can walk into their very first class without even knowing what a lawsuit is, and still end up being first in their class by the end of the semester. Because you can get 100% of your cold calls wrong and still ace a law school class.

That said, I get that 0Ls are anxious and want to feel in control, so if you want to help them feel better I shouldn't stand in your way. So I'm sorry for butting in.

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:52 pm

tag

EvilClinton

Postby EvilClinton » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:11 pm

The only thing on this list should be "drinking and living" before your life ends in August.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:18 pm

EvilClinton wrote:The only thing on this list should be "drinking and living" before your life ends in August.

This.

Also, OP you might want to look up "return of Title IV funds formula"

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:32 pm

dextermorgan wrote:
EvilClinton wrote:The only thing on this list should be "drinking and living" before your life ends in August.

This.

+2(?)
FWIW none of the straight A students this year at my T14 did any 0L prep.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:51 pm

The Paper Chase is a fucking shit movie. I dont get why everyone creams their pants over that flick.

fruitoftheloom

Postby fruitoftheloom » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:51 pm

I know on my list (besides things already listed) is to start researching firms who go to my schools OCI. I know it's early, but I want to have a basic list of firms that I know I'm really interested in.

EvilClinton

Postby EvilClinton » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:55 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:I know on my list (besides things already listed) is to start researching firms who go to my schools OCI. I know it's early, but I want to have a basic list of firms that I know I'm really interested in.

That is a waste of time.

What you can do though is update your resume. Law resumes are very different than other professions and you won't have much time during the semester to work on updating yours. This is especially helpful if you plan on mass mailing firms and judges on December 1st (that is the height of finals at most schools).

941law

Postby 941law » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:23 pm

Not sure what to tell you if you call that list "work" or "prep." Just a few things to do at leisure. I've drank more in law school than undergrad, so spare me the over-used "just drink and sleep" advice.

941law

Postby 941law » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:24 pm

dextermorgan wrote:

why?

941law

Postby 941law » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:25 pm

dr123 wrote:The Paper Chase is a fucking shit movie. I dont get why everyone creams their pants over that flick.

I don't think people recommend it because it's a great movie plot/acting wise.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:27 pm

EvilClinton wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:I know on my list (besides things already listed) is to start researching firms who go to my schools OCI. I know it's early, but I want to have a basic list of firms that I know I'm really interested in.

That is a waste of time.

What you can do though is update your resume. Law resumes are very different than other professions and you won't have much time during the semester to work on updating yours. This is especially helpful if you plan on mass mailing firms and judges on December 1st (that is the height of finals at most schools).

It's not that much work to do both. And it's helpful knowing the firms that hire 1Ls in the area(s) you're trying to work 1L summer.

patienunderstanding

Postby patienunderstanding » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:36 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
EvilClinton wrote:

That is a waste of time.

It's not that much work to do both. And it's helpful knowing the firms that hire 1Ls in the area(s) you're trying to work 1L summer.

So... where do you get all that info? :D

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:48 pm

patienunderstanding wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
EvilClinton wrote:

That is a waste of time.

So... where do you get all that info? :D

Best place to start is probably: http://www.nalpdirectory.com/

(And go to the "recruitment & hiring" tab.)

patienunderstanding

Postby patienunderstanding » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:11 pm

Best place to start is probably: http://www.nalpdirectory.com/

(And go to the "recruitment & hiring" tab.)[/quote]

Thanks! :)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”