Admitted student writing letter of rec

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
megagnarley

Admitted student writing letter of rec

Postby megagnarley » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:44 pm

Off the cuff:

Would there be any value in a highly desired admitted student writing a letter of rec on behalf of a student who is a longshot? Not implying package deal, but allowing them to fill in the blanks that way should they so wish.

That is all.

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Admitted student writing letter of rec

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:08 pm

megagnarley wrote:Off the cuff:

Would there be any value in a highly desired admitted student writing a letter of rec on behalf of a student who is a longshot? Not implying package deal, but allowing them to fill in the blanks that way should they so wish.

That is all.

No. Don't do this.

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:11 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:

That is all.

No. Don't do this.

Basis?

drinion

Postby drinion » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:12 pm

megagnarley wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

That is all.

No. Don't do this.

Basis?

Do you really think that highly of yourself or the admitted student? Do you think the school agrees with that assessment? I hope your answer to all of those questions is no.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:15 pm

Unless said reccomender was your professor at a school you attended and could honestly write something substantial it is a terrible idea. First it wont help, even if the person is a possible named scholarship candidate. They can easily replace them. if this person is just a friend who is your age and will only be able to beg to let you in, it just looks sad and pathetic on both your parts. Please do not do this.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:16 pm

Dmini7 wrote: Please do not do this.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:22 pm

megagnarley wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

That is all.

No. Don't do this.

Basis?

No one cares what one student thinks of another student. That's like your best friend writing you a letter of recommendation. Who cares? (Only possible exception is if the admitted student was the other student's professor or work supervisor, but I'm assuming that's not the case or you would have mentioned it.) I also have a very hard time thinking any admitted student is so "highly desired" that they can blackmail adcomms into admitting someone who wouldn't otherwise be admitted.

If it really is the case that the "highly desired" student won't attend unless the other one is admitted (like, the two are married or something), then just say that. I still think it looks kind of bogus, but you have nothing to lose. My 1L year, one of my classmates talked to the adcomms when her boyfriend was initially rejected, and I know she pleaded his case based on their relationship (however, I think he was rejected in an attempt to yield protect, as his numbers were really good for the school. And of course, she was already enrolled). But some kind of "letter of rec" is just disingenuous and bogus.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:31 pm

And, to be perfectly honest, even letters of rec from professors and employers matter very little.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:34 pm

retake

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:43 pm

Consenus: bad idea.

My take: agree.

Although to those calling it sad/bogus/conceited etc.--your holier than thou stick just tickles me pink with giggles.

I am a longshot, not because I am poking my head where I don't deserve, but because I am YP wait-list with no intention of riding out the WL and burning other deposits in the process. The dean of admissions already stated movement before their usual May WL action could be possible, referencing a letter of rec from a current student as one way to boost my chances, but not knowing any, I was wondering if a desirable admitted student would have the same effect.

That said, I love the abuse. Continue your crusade.

drinion

Postby drinion » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:58 pm

megagnarley wrote:Consenus: bad idea.

Although to those calling it sad/bogus/conceited etc.--your holier than thou stick just tickles me pink with giggles.

I am a longshot, not because I am poking my head where I don't deserve, but because I am YP wait-list with no intention of riding out the WL and burning other deposits in the process. The dean of admissions already stated movement before their usual May WL action could be possible, referencing a letter of rec from a current student as one way to boost my chances, but not knowing any, I was wondering if a desirable admitted student would have the same effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dddAi8FF3F4

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:04 pm

drinion wrote:

Credited.

My fault for sacrificing information in the OP in favor of brevity.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:06 pm

Not saying you are any of those things - just saying how a "letter of rec" would look in the context of your OP.

drinion

Postby drinion » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:24 pm

megagnarley wrote:
drinion wrote:

Credited.

haha

Coffee has gotten the best of me this afternoon, my bad.

I'm surprised they even asked for a current student's recommendation. Do you know any lawyers? An admitted student might not have the background to recommend another 0L, but someone with a solid legal background might sway them, especially if a 1L would.

Good luck getting of the wait list!

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:36 pm

drinion wrote:
megagnarley wrote:
drinion wrote:

Credited.

haha

Coffee has gotten the best of me this afternoon, my bad.

I'm surprised they even asked for a current student's recommendation. Do you know any lawyers? An admitted student might not have the background to recommend another 0L, but someone with a solid legal background might sway them, especially if a 1L would.

Good luck getting of the wait list!

Thank you kindly.

I was pretty shocked myself, but the dean (UCLA) said it straight faced.

I do, but none with ties to the school, and I it seemed his angle was "this would show us you are a good fit for the community."

Never seen that pitch before, but I guess that's why we play the game.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:07 pm

To piggyback on this thread, what about a LOCI prior to a decision reemphasizing a desire to attend with a line or two about being encouraged to write by a current student and referencing certain things that student says about the school? Said student and I have similar w/e and stats only that we applied in different years (obviously).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”