June Retake Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bizchick05

June Retake Question

Postby bizchick05 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:01 pm

I received my February LSAT score and not too excited about it. While I'm waiting on whether or not I'm admitted could I email the school telling them I'm planning on taking my June LSAT to see if they would wait on an admissions decision then? I was hoping for some scholarship money but it seems too late in the game for that.

jvincent11

Re: June Retake Question

Postby jvincent11 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:14 pm

If you really need scholarship money, the best thing to do would probably be to retake in June (and possibly October) and apply very early in the cycle next year

snapdragon25

Postby snapdragon25 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:39 pm

No school will hold your decision until they get your score in July, but some schools will accept June scores for waitlisted applicants or they might increase your scholarship offer. I'll be retaking in June to get off a few WLs, and I asked each school and they said they'd consider June scores if an applicant is still on the WL then, but I don't think every school does this.
I'm preparing myself to retake again/reapply next year, unless by some miracle I get into my dream school off the WL.

Hey, it's 3 years and you can only do it once, so put yourself in the best possible position to succeed.

bizchick05

Postby bizchick05 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:56 pm

There's a strong possibility I'll just wait out on this cycle. I'm not in a rush to get into a substantial amount of debt when scholarship opportunities are available.

It does seem like schools are giving away scholarships now for those that applied early on. Do you think the same will happen during next year cycle?

bizchick05

Postby bizchick05 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:58 pm

Also, do most schools consider your previous score? If there was a substantial increase, do you think I would have to write an addendum for that?

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:12 pm

bizchick05 wrote:It does seem like schools are giving away scholarships now for those that applied early on. Do you think the same will happen during next year cycle?

Yes, thats how it goes. You can still get money late though, if you have something the school wants (a median or above LSAT/GPA)

bizchick05 wrote:There's a strong possibility I'll just wait out on this cycle. I'm not in a rush to get into a substantial amount of debt when scholarship opportunities are available.

Good!

Also, do most schools consider your previous score? If there was a substantial increase, do you think I would have to write an addendum for that?

The schools youre looking at dont care about anything but the highest score. For instance, all else being equal, a 161/3.5 is going to do a lot worse than a 151/164/3.5 at schools with LSAT medians of 162,163,164.

No addendum is typically necessary. Addendums are usually just bad excuses.

bizchick05

Postby bizchick05 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:00 am

Thanks for your input Nova. SMU was my only choice. I've heard not so positive things about Tx Wes.

But, if I'm able to retake and get a higher score, I'd rather get a scholarship rather than rush and get into a ridiculous amount of debt.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”