Poll! Mich vs. Cardozo

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Michigan $ vs. Cardozo $$$

Poll ended at Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 pm

Michigan $
91%
Cardozo $$$
9%

Total votes: 53

shoobie

Poll! Mich vs. Cardozo

Postby shoobie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:36 pm

Need some help here... I've been accepted to Michigan with $ and Cardozo with $$$

Things that make me want to go to Cardozo are: I LOVE NYC and have always wanted to move there, they have way more IP- related classes (and have a higher ranking in IP specialty- is this a real thing), potential to make more money in the NYC market??, hefty scholarship, want to have the opportunity to leave Michigan down the line

Things that make me want to go to Michigan are: I'm from Michigan (the state) and went there (the college) for UG, it's ranked higher, and I'm employed in the legal field/ my job is letting me work flexible hours while in law school plus employment when I finish

Factoring in cost of living and the scholarships, I think the debt would be about the same. I have family/ ties/ connections in both places. This is the part that is making my decision so hard.

Any input would be much appreciated! I know conventional TLS wisdom is T14 or bust but I'm having a hard time turning down this opportunity to move to NYC. Thanks in advance!

Tom Joad

Re: Poll! Mich vs. Cardozo

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:37 pm

Cardozo sucks. Why is this a question? Law school isn't a 3 year vacation.

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:44 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Cardozo sucks. Why is this a question? Law school isn't a 3 year vacation.

This. But, if you insist on the cardozo gamble,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEeqCbEFIJw
Last edited by Davidbentley on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:45 pm

shoobie wrote:Need some help here... I've been accepted to Michigan with $ and Cardozo with $$$

Things that make me want to go to Cardozo are: I LOVE NYC and have always wanted to move there, they have way more IP- related classes (and have a higher ranking in IP specialty- is this a real thing), potential to make more money in the NYC market??, hefty scholarship, want to have the opportunity to leave Michigan down the line

Things that make me want to go to Michigan are: I'm from Michigan (the state) and went there (the college) for UG, it's ranked higher, and I'm employed in the legal field/ my job is letting me work flexible hours while in law school plus employment when I finish

Factoring in cost of living and the scholarships, I think the debt would be about the same. I have family/ ties/ connections in both places. This is the part that is making my decision so hard.

Any input would be much appreciated! I know conventional TLS wisdom is T14 or bust but I'm having a hard time turning down this opportunity to move to NYC. Thanks in advance!

Did you apply to NYU, Columbia or Cornell? If you are in at Michigan with money you have to atleast gotten Cornell. With that said, The answer should be Michigan hands down if you want a job. Besides, a degree from Michigan will give you the opportunity to leave the state down the line.

Pumpkin_Pie

Postby Pumpkin_Pie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:46 pm

shoobie wrote:I'm employed in the legal field/ my job is letting me work flexible hours while in law school plus employment when I finish

Guaranteed employment almost always wins in my book. Is there some reason you wouldn't want to work there?

Aawaldrop

Postby Aawaldrop » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:47 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
shoobie wrote:Need some help here... I've been accepted to Michigan with $ and Cardozo with $$$

Did you apply to NYU, Columbia or Cornell? If you are in at Michigan with money you have to atleast gotten Cornell. With that said, The answer should be Michigan hands down if you want a job. Besides, a degree from Michigan will give you the opportunity to leave the state down the line.

Exactly, it would have behooved you to apply to schools in between. If the choice was solely between the two I'd insist on Michigan.

stuckinthemiddle

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:50 pm

This isn't even a question. Even if you're looking to end up in NY, Michigan gives you an infinitely better chance than 'dozo!

Did you apply to Cornell?

shoobie

Postby shoobie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:04 pm

Okay, looks like everyone's responses are basically what I already knew. I did not apply to Cornell, but I did apply to NYU. Haven't heard back yet but I'm not hopeful. I was a reach at Michigan and was surprised about the acceptance and even more surprised about the $.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:09 pm

shoobie wrote:Okay, looks like everyone's responses are basically what I already knew. I did not apply to Cornell, but I did apply to NYU. Haven't heard back yet but I'm not hopeful. I was a reach at Michigan and was surprised about the acceptance and even more surprised about the $.

Looking at your numbers, I say take Michigan and run. I am also surprised they gave you money with those numbers. Unless they want a 169 median you were below both and not a URM. Congratulations on a great snag. Out of curiousity how much a year did they give you?

shoobie

Postby shoobie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:12 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
shoobie wrote:Okay, looks like everyone's responses are basically what I already knew. I did not apply to Cornell, but I did apply to NYU. Haven't heard back yet but I'm not hopeful. I was a reach at Michigan and was surprised about the acceptance and even more surprised about the $.

Looking at your numbers, I say take Michigan and run. I am also surprised they gave you money with those numbers. Unless they want a 169 median you were below both and not a URM. Congratulations on a great snag. Out of curiousity how much a year did they give you?

Thanks :) They gave me 10k/ year Dean's scholarship. Maybe that whole thing about them not liking their undergrads is a myth. Not huge, but will put a dent in (in-state) tuition.

banjo

Postby banjo » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:45 pm

What the what!? You have your whole career to live in NYC. Obviously take Mich.

ETA: Obligatory retake and reapply.

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:44 am

I think the consensus is that it's better to go to a higher-ranked school than to go to another that claims to offer some specialized programs. In this case, the disparity between the two schools is such that it's not even a contest.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:27 pm

Same price? How is this even a question? The law school gods have bestowed upon you a great gift. Deposit at Michigan before they decide to take it back!

Also, their median is already a 169.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:29 pm

BigZuck wrote:Same price? How is this even a question? The law school gods have bestowed upon you a great gift. Deposit at Michigan before they decide to take it back!

Also, their median is already a 169.

Ahh my mistake, for some reason I thought they held onto the 170 like UVA. :oops:

Beercules

Postby Beercules » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:57 am

Enjoy Rick's for 3 more years.

Then enjoy NYC for the rest of your life.

/thread.

oaken

Postby oaken » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:07 am

Beercules wrote:Enjoy Rick's for 3 more years.

/thread.

Don't usually see "enjoy" and "rick's" in the same sentence

shoobie

Postby shoobie » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:48 pm

oaken wrote:
Beercules wrote:Enjoy Rick's for 3 more years.

/thread.

Don't usually see "enjoy" and "rick's" in the same sentence

Funny story, I once made the mistake of going there sober and never again.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”