171/4.0 - Retake for HY?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
heythatslife

171/4.0 - Retake for HY?

Postby heythatslife » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:22 pm

Just received my February LSAT score. The ironic thing is that a week before the test, I told friends that I would be done with the LSAT if I got 171 or above.

I think this gives me a decent shot at CCN, but it would be really nice to be admitted to either H or Y, because I'm not a US citizen and these two schools offer internal loans with lower interest rates than I could otherwise get.

So the question is, should I retake or do I go with this score?

And also, if my score goes down on the retake, how much of a negative impact would this have? This is a major concern, because I was somewhat inconsistent while I was PT'ing, going from 168 one day then 178 the next.

Here are some relevant details:
- 171/4.01, non-HYP Ivy UG, magna cum laude
- Currently an officer in a foreign military force, will have been 3 years by the time I get out in 2014; 1 year of overseas deployment. This is my only significant work experience other than some internships I did back in UG.
- For the two weeks prior to the test, my PT average was around 173 over 6 tests. Had been prepping for 5 months. I had a stroke of good fortune in that I was able to take a whole month off work right before the test. That's not gonna happen again, though, so prepping for the next test is going to be harder.

untar614

Re: 171/4.0 - Retake for HY?

Postby untar614 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:32 pm

idf?

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:34 pm

Nope, Korean Navy.

kakistocracy

Postby kakistocracy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:44 pm

I can only share my own anecdotal story here, but I wanted to post because I went through a situation very similar to yours. I prepped a lot for my first test in June, got a 170, then went back for a second go-around (despite a heavy courseload and minimal study time) to eek out a 174. I wasn't trying to improve so much as maintain - and hope for a better score - because I'd been PTing ~175 and I felt the first test wasn't an accurate reflection of my capabilities.

So I'd encourage you to go for it. When you get to a certain range on the LSAT, a lot has to do with just luck and fluctuations. Possibly you'll do worse, but just as possibly you could do better - and those few points, paired with your exceptional GPA, could do wonders. On the other hand, there's no loss here (short of suffering another test) since law schools take your highest score.

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:59 pm

What was your prep method?
I was really inconsistent when I was just taking PTs, but a month of drilling changed that completely.
If you feel like there's a way you could have improved your studying - including drilling, trying a new guide (Manhattan improved things for me a lot), or studying more - then absolutely retake.
I told myself on my first take that I'd stick with anything 172 or above and retake anything 169 or below. I made a 170. It's a really frustrating decision, because it's tempting to be done with the LSAT forever, but retaking was the best choice I ever made. I'd strongly encourage you to give it a shot, especially if you want HY. I know for a fact I wouldn't have gotten into HLS without my retake.

ETA: I prepped for my first take over the summer with very few responsibilities. I prepped for the second take while working 40 hours a week and taking classes too. Don't let the thought of being extremely busy dissuade you. It's temporary pain for a huge gain.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:10 pm

How is a 4.01 only magna cum laude? Jesus, you people and schools that give A+s. You might want to lower your GPA below 4.0 to try to fool adcoms into thinking that it was out of 4.0

Also, why not HYS?

But yeah, depending on your study methods, I would retake.

leo2013

Postby leo2013 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:31 am

Definitely retake. What could you possibly lose by retaking?
heythatslife wrote:Just received my February LSAT score. The ironic thing is that a week before the test, I told friends that I would be done with the LSAT if I got 171 or above.

I think this gives me a decent shot at CCN, but it would be really nice to be admitted to either H or Y, because I'm not a US citizen and these two schools offer internal loans with lower interest rates than I could otherwise get.

So the question is, should I retake or do I go with this score?

And also, if my score goes down on the retake, how much of a negative impact would this have? This is a major concern, because I was somewhat inconsistent while I was PT'ing, going from 168 one day then 178 the next.

Here are some relevant details:
- 171/4.01, non-HYP Ivy UG, magna cum laude
- Currently an officer in a foreign military force, will have been 3 years by the time I get out in 2014; 1 year of overseas deployment. This is my only significant work experience other than some internships I did back in UG.
- For the two weeks prior to the test, my PT average was around 173 over 6 tests. Had been prepping for 5 months. I had a stroke of good fortune in that I was able to take a whole month off work right before the test. That's not gonna happen again, though, so prepping for the next test is going to be harder.

jetsfan1

Postby jetsfan1 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:54 am

How is a 4.01 only magna cum laude? Jesus, you people and schools that give A+s.

Seriously though. Thats ridiculous. Talk about grade inflation.....

Edit: I'm fine with giving A+s. But not to the point where you have kids over a 4.0 and not even summa. My school gives them. But they are a rarity, as in most profs never give them, and the ones that do once every couple years at most.

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:18 pm

Guys, thanks for the advice and the encouragement. I've made up my mind to retake in June.

Regarding my GPA, let me say two things for the sake of clarification:
1) Latin honors in my major were awarded for the honors thesis and not for the GPA alone, although I believe there was a GPA requirement in order to be elegible.
2) In reponse to ManoftheMinute - I've already graduated, so my GPA is set in stone. Nothing I can do about that 4.01...

EDIT: Also, the reason I left out Stanford in the thread title is that while I would be very happy to be accepted to any one of HYS, my preference is with HY because of the financial issue explained in my original post.
Last edited by heythatslife on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lumieres

Postby Lumieres » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:26 pm

korea!

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:31 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:You might want to lower your GPA below 4.0 to try to fool adcoms into thinking that it was out of 4.0

This is unsound advice OP. The adcoms will look at your transcripTTT and see you didn't get all A's to get that 4.0

WhiskeynCoke

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:21 pm

Short answer: yes
Long answer: Hell yes

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:35 am

sabanist wrote:What was your prep method?
I was really inconsistent when I was just taking PTs, but a month of drilling changed that completely.
If you feel like there's a way you could have improved your studying - including drilling, trying a new guide (Manhattan improved things for me a lot), or studying more - then absolutely retake.
I told myself on my first take that I'd stick with anything 172 or above and retake anything 169 or below. I made a 170. It's a really frustrating decision, because it's tempting to be done with the LSAT forever, but retaking was the best choice I ever made. I'd strongly encourage you to give it a shot, especially if you want HY. I know for a fact I wouldn't have gotten into HLS without my retake.

ETA: I prepped for my first take over the summer with very few responsibilities. I prepped for the second take while working 40 hours a week and taking classes too. Don't let the thought of being extremely busy dissuade you. It's temporary pain for a huge gain.

I went through the Manhattan RC book, which did help me iron out some of my inconsistencies with that part. I bought the LR book as well, but I received it too late in the game (3 weeks before the test) so I haven't really been able to look at it. Would you say this guide is superior to the Powerscore LR Bible?

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:27 pm

heythatslife wrote:I went through the Manhattan RC book, which did help me iron out some of my inconsistencies with that part. I bought the LR book as well, but I received it too late in the game (3 weeks before the test) so I haven't really been able to look at it. Would you say this guide is superior to the Powerscore LR Bible?

I would say it's much better in some ways, particularly assumption family questions. I think PS takes the cake on formal logic, but Manhattan LR is what really pushed me past the low 170 plateau to consistent high 170s on PTs.

BearState

Postby BearState » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:02 pm

If you were averaging 173, definitely retake.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:54 pm

If the only opportunity cost of retaking is time, absolutely retake.

The time commitment when retaking is substantially less. I studied 4 months my first take and 6-7 weeks my second, with a 9 point increase on my retake.

When you're scoring in the 170s, it's more about getting into the groove of taking the test and just waiting for the day to come. Not much to learn.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”