Change Of Employment

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
cricketlove00
Posts: 1190
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:59 pm

Change Of Employment

Postby cricketlove00 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:42 am

I'm hoping this doesn't come off as whiny --

Currently I work as a probation officer for misdemeanor and traffic cases in FL. I'm 24 and am currently studying for the LSAT - hoping to apply this year. I currently go to court a lot and meet a lot of attorneys. Through this job I've developed some really strong ties. However, the pay is utterly miserable. It's hard to make ends meet.

The other day SAO called me and invited me to apply for a lowly clerk desk job. Here's the thing: it pays more. Also, the stress of being a probation officer wouldn't be there anymore. The catch is that I'd be tied to a desk all day (which I don't terribly mind) - that means I probably wouldn't be able to network outside of the SAO.

I have personal reasons for wanting both jobs -- but what I really want to know is 1) will taking a step back professionally (from P.O. to admin assistant) hurt my resume at all, in regards to admissions? and 2) do you think it's totally detrimental not to be able to network with judges/defense attorneys anymore?

Any advice is welcome.

User avatar
stuckinthemiddle
Posts: 312
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:24 am

Re: Change Of Employment

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:55 am

No and no. Do what you feel like doing.

User avatar
cricketlove00
Posts: 1190
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:59 pm

Re: Change Of Employment

Postby cricketlove00 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:59 am

stuckinthemiddle wrote:No and no. Do what you feel like doing.


Thanks. I figured it was basically LSAT/GPA and that's about it.

I think I may switch - if I'm less stressed I may be able to study more for LSAT.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Change Of Employment

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:21 pm

cricketlove00 wrote:
I currently go to court a lot and meet a lot of attorneys.


no one cares...

now for the important things: what is your UGPA and what are you scoring on your practice tests?

User avatar
cricketlove00
Posts: 1190
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:59 pm

Re: Change Of Employment

Postby cricketlove00 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:33 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:
I currently go to court a lot and meet a lot of attorneys.


no one cares...

now for the important things: what is your UGPA and what are you scoring on your practice tests?


Awesome and awesome

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Change Of Employment

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:51 pm

great! are you applying this sep/oct?

User avatar
cricketlove00
Posts: 1190
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:59 pm

Re: Change Of Employment

Postby cricketlove00 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:08 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:great! are you applying this sep/oct?


I was just being facetious about the awesome thing. I have a 3.6 and I'm working on LSAT. I'm averaging in the 160's (sometimes 160, sometimes 167) and I'm hoping to take it this October and apply then.

Another thing about the change in jobs is I'm hopeful a less stressful environment will make it easier on my LSAT studying - maybe I won't be so exhausted when I get home.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Change Of Employment

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:37 am

whatever you do...just focus on the LSAT...

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Change Of Employment

Postby spleenworship » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:00 am

cricketlove00 wrote:I'm hoping this doesn't come off as whiny --

Currently I work as a probation officer for misdemeanor and traffic cases in FL. I'm 24 and am currently studying for the LSAT - hoping to apply this year. I currently go to court a lot and meet a lot of attorneys. Through this job I've developed some really strong ties. However, the pay is utterly miserable. It's hard to make ends meet.

The other day SAO called me and invited me to apply for a lowly clerk desk job. Here's the thing: it pays more. Also, the stress of being a probation officer wouldn't be there anymore. The catch is that I'd be tied to a desk all day (which I don't terribly mind) - that means I probably wouldn't be able to network outside of the SAO.

I have personal reasons for wanting both jobs -- but what I really want to know is 1) will taking a step back professionally (from P.O. to admin assistant) hurt my resume at all, in regards to admissions? and 2) do you think it's totally detrimental not to be able to network with judges/defense attorneys anymore?

Any advice is welcome.



1. No.

2. Not much. You'll do it again when you get in law school. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

ETA: also, this:
Dr. Dre wrote:whatever you do...just focus on the LSAT...

User avatar
cricketlove00
Posts: 1190
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:59 pm

Re: Change Of Employment

Postby cricketlove00 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:33 am

Thanks. I feel like this was a stupid question, but thanks :)

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Change Of Employment

Postby spleenworship » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:22 am

cricketlove00 wrote:Thanks. I feel like this was a stupid question, but thanks :)


When I first came on I asked so many Questions. It was easy to feel stupid at first, but it isn't stupid to ask these questions. You just get short answers because they are easy questions.


That said, I would recommend reading all the stickies here because a lot of answers are there to questions you will have. Also, reading pithypikes LSAT guide is vital, even if you modify it for yourself.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hwwong, woojin1287 and 3 guests