Retaking Lsat after being admitted to schools? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ashawnt

New

Retaking Lsat after being admitted to schools?

Post by ashawnt » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:03 pm

Hello everyone,

I took the LSAT in October and scored a 157(my g.P.a is a 3.46) . I decided to apply anyways and got into some decent schools (loyola 22k, USD, UOA, Utah etc... I'm thinking about submitting my seat deposit to Loyola and taking the June LSAT. If I do considerably better in June (163+) I would be willing to take an additional year off to reapply but assuming I score similarly or only marginally better I would rather just attend Loyola starting in the Fall. Is this possible? Would schools freak out on me especially if I scored lower?And would I need to notify them I am doing this assuming I already put my seat deposit down? For those of you who are going tell me to just retake anyways I wanna remind you off my past history with the LSAT. I cold tested a 137. Took the full length test masters course and 20 hours of private tutoring on top. I studied for about 7-8 months averaging 30+ hours a week(I've literally taken all but a few released lsats) . My practice average was a 162 going in (165 high) and nerves really screwed me .At this point I have taken a few months away from the LSAT so I could probably start recycling old tests. Although I don't feel I could jump into the high 160's or break 170. I do feel like I could do better given that I would be relaxed going into June knowing that I've already been admitted to some schools. Any thoughts?

seacow

New

Re: Retaking Lsat after being admitted to schools?

Post by seacow » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:39 pm

ashawnt wrote:Hello everyone,

I took the LSAT in October and scored a 157(my g.P.a is a 3.46) . I decided to apply anyways and got into some decent schools (loyola 22k, USD, UOA, Utah etc... I'm thinking about submitting my seat deposit to Loyola and taking the June LSAT. If I do considerably better in June (163+) I would be willing to take an additional year off to reapply but assuming I score similarly or only marginally better I would rather just attend Loyola starting in the Fall. Is this possible? Would schools freak out on me especially if I scored lower?And would I need to notify them I am doing this assuming I already put my seat deposit down? For those of you who are going tell me to just retake anyways I wanna remind you off my past history with the LSAT. I cold tested a 137. Took the full length test masters course and 20 hours of private tutoring on top. I studied for about 7-8 months averaging 30+ hours a week(I've literally taken all but a few released lsats) . My practice average was a 162 going in (165 high) and nerves really screwed me .At this point I have taken a few months away from the LSAT so I could probably start recycling old tests. Although I don't feel I could jump into the high 160's or break 170. I do feel like I could do better given that I would be relaxed going into June knowing that I've already been admitted to some schools. Any thoughts?
Schools won't care if you do worse; they'll only consider the highest score.

If you do think you can improve, I think it's worth a shot. 157 to low 160's is a significant enough jump.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:10 pm

You're practicing average should really be what your LSAT score is, if there were no nerves. Of course, that often is not the case the first time because everyone is nervous, which is precisely why there are so many retakes. It sounds like you have only taken the real thing once, and you underpreformed, class retake material. especially when the difference between your score and what you could get is a huge, huge jump in ranking and $$.
Sorry I am not answering your real question, I have no idea what schools would think of this.

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:05 pm

Schools won't care at all. They report your highest score, and they are not going to punish a student who has committed to attend their school simply for retaking.

On a separate not, don't attend Loyola. Look at their LST page. Less than 1/2 their grads get real lawyer jobs. If you want to work in LA, retake and get into USC or UCLA at least.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:08 pm

Its possible. Schools wont freak out, even if you score lower. All that matters is USNWR, which takes the highest score only.

Retake in June + use paragraphs.

Reassess when you get your score back in early July.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:19 pm

I'm doing a similar thing. Good luck!

ashawnt

New

Post by ashawnt » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:37 am

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I have heard of people using there February LSAT score to negotiate for scholarship and get off wait lists. Do you think this is possible with a June score or would it be way to late by then? I know schools do take people off there wait lists up to a week before the semester begins though.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:39 am

ashawnt wrote:Thanks for the quick replies guys. I have heard of people using there February LSAT score to negotiate for scholarship and get off wait lists. Do you think this is possible with a June score or would it be way to late by then?
It has been done

A.Taarabt7

Bronze

Post by A.Taarabt7 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:49 am

I only got in to Tier 3-4's

im on a waitlist to a Tier3/2 school (fluctuates yearly between the 2) and if I do not get in, I have a Tier 4 that is offering me a significant scholarship.

due to the negative reputation Tier 4's have received on TLS I am thinking about retaking my LSAT this October to raise my score from 152 to 165 ( long story short did not study long enough for LSAT, so will study longer to better prepare)

GPA will stay the same.
I am really hesitant on reapplying again to the schools next cycle because I am not really doing much. I turned down the career I had in Accounting and am currently just volunteering at a court house + working in a nonprofessional job (restaurant).

Live at home currently, 22 yr olds, will be 24 yrs old when entering law ( if im reapplying next cycle). Kinda skeptical and unsure because the LSAT score won't push me into schools that are that much better than the ones I am applying at. Would just maybe push me up to Tier 2 and low Tier 1 schools.

Just go with the scholly at the Tier 4 in California? Enjoy live, find a beautiful girl, and pray to Allah things go well for me in Law School?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:46 pm

A.Taarabt7 wrote: GPA will stay the same.
I am really hesitant on reapplying again to the schools next cycle because I am not really doing much. I turned down the career I had in Accounting and am currently just volunteering at a court house + working in a nonprofessional job (restaurant).

Live at home currently, 22 yr olds, will be 24 yrs old when entering law ( if im reapplying next cycle). Kinda skeptical and unsure because the LSAT score won't push me into schools that are that much better than the ones I am applying at. Would just maybe push me up to Tier 2 and low Tier 1 schools.

Just go with the scholly at the Tier 4 in California? Enjoy live, find a beautiful girl, and pray to Allah things go well for me in Law School?
Its a numbers game. If you score in the mid 160's youll get into some T1s for sure. Dont worry about starting at 24. The median age is usually around 23/24. Youre on time.

It sounds like you know waiting is the best option. You shouldnt attend law school now if you think you can score over 10 points higher. The LSAT is almost always the number 1 factor in admissions. Having a professional job is probably worth less than 1 LSAT point. Just keep making a living doing what youre doing and adcomms will respect that.

PickMe!

Bronze

Post by PickMe! » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:02 am

ashawnt wrote:Thanks for the quick replies guys. I have heard of people using there February LSAT score to negotiate for scholarship and get off wait lists. Do you think this is possible with a June score or would it be way to late by then? I know schools do take people off there wait lists up to a week before the semester begins though.
Hey! I am in this situation (not wait-listed, but negotiating for more money - currently waiting on my Feb scores). One school told me they could only wait for the Feb score, while, a better school told me they could wait for June. I chose to sit for Feb (just to get it over with). That said, I think it depends on the school, the cycle (application volume), and if they really like you or not.

A.Taarabt7

Bronze

Post by A.Taarabt7 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:30 pm

If I get in off the waitlist at my target school I will just matriculate there. If not then Im aiming for the moon on the retake in October. I can feasibly make a 10 point increase given the length of time I have now. I just don't want to quit and make reapplying next cycle worth it and not a waste.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”