Addendum for Psychiatric Disorder?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tenebre655321

Addendum for Psychiatric Disorder?

Postby tenebre655321 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:32 pm

Hey All,
I withdrew from school for a semester during my third year to focus on medical treatment for my OCD. The treatment was successful, and upon returning to school my grades improved (2.6 pre-treatment/3.6 post-treatment)

For an application question about missing a semester, I was wondering whether anybody could advise me as to whether I should mention explicitly that the medical condition was OCD, or whether I should keep it vague and say it was a "medical condition".

Also, I was wondering whether I should add this info in an addendum to schools that haven't asked that question, to explain the trajectory of my GPA.

Any advice or comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ManOfTheMinute

Re: Addendum for Psychiatric Disorder?

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:43 pm

tenebre655321 wrote:Hey All,
I withdrew from school for a semester during my third year to focus on medical treatment for my OCD. The treatment was successful, and upon returning to school my grades improved (2.6 pre-treatment/3.6 post-treatment)

For an application question about missing a semester, I was wondering whether anybody could advise me as to whether I should mention explicitly that the medical condition was OCD, or whether I should keep it vague and say it was a "medical condition".

Also, I was wondering whether I should add this info in an addendum to schools that haven't asked that question, to explain the trajectory of my GPA.

OCD is used so often it comes across as not being a real disease to some. Psychiatric Disorder has too much of a negative stigma if you don't explain that it was OCD. Medical condition makes it sound like some vague bullshit.

LDVM4334

Postby LDVM4334 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:06 am

I'd go in depth if you write about it. I wrote about being diagnosed with Cyclothymia (mild bipolar) for an addendum/personal statement at some places. It helps if there's an associated story, I presume. No basis I suppose.

Needajob1

Postby Needajob1 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:04 am

I would consider adding it if you can turn it into a positive and explain how it makes you a perfectionist and/or the 'keen sense to detail'. OCD can be a good thing at times. It would also explain the upward trend. Maybe say something like "At times I though of my OCD as a hinderance, but have come to realize that my OCD is what motivates me and drives my strenghs and attention to detail. You can expand to make it sound like a trait that you will always have and have come to accept as an integral part of you.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:18 am

Needajob1 wrote:

I would consider adding it if you can turn it into a positive and explain how it makes you a perfectionist and/or the 'keen sense to detail'. OCD can be a good thing at times. It would also explain the upward trend. Maybe say something like "At times I though of my OCD as a hinderance, but have come to realize that my OCD is what motivates me and drives my strenghs and attention to detail. You can expand to make it sound like a trait that you will always have and have come to accept as an integral part of you.

I don't think you quite grasp the nature of OCD as a medical condition, not a pop-psych label.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:23 am

^ Seriously. I've spent more than 20 minutes double (and triple) checking the stove to make sure I've turned it off before leaving the house. That's not exactly something that helps a person be productive.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”