Tier 3/4 Law school just to pass the Bar?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jas1503

Tier 3/4 Law school just to pass the Bar?

Postby jas1503 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:25 pm

Greetings,

I recently took the LSAT (under strange conditions) and scored pretty poorly on it, so I'm retaking it in June. However, I'm not really excited about trying to get into a T-14. The more I read about the law school scam, the more depressing the idea of law school becomes. I'm still interested in applying to 4 law schools: Syracuse, CUNY, GTown, Colorado Law. I'm in the NY area, and would go to Syracuse with money and CUNY for Sticker. GPA is only 3 and LSAT score is in the 150s.

I don't want to work for anyone after law school, and I'm just looking for enough law 'training' to pass the Bar. I would ideally like to learn enough about tax law and regulations to service my own business or open a solo practice. Is CUNY my best option?

kckool7

Re: Tier 3/4 Law school just to pass the Bar?

Postby kckool7 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:38 pm

jas1503 wrote:Greetings,

I recently took the LSAT (under strange conditions) and scored pretty poorly on it, so I'm retaking it in June. However, I'm not really excited about trying to get into a T-14. The more I read about the law school scam, the more depressing the idea of law school becomes. I'm still interested in applying to 4 law schools: Syracuse, CUNY, GTown, Colorado Law. I'm in the NY area, and would go to Syracuse with money and CUNY for Sticker. GPA is only 3 and LSAT score is in the 150s.

I don't want to work for anyone after law school, and I'm just looking for enough law 'training' to pass the Bar. I would ideally like to learn enough about tax law and regulations to service my own business or open a solo practice. Is CUNY my best option?

How are you planning on getting clients?

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:40 pm

Do you have any reason to believe you could start your own practice without failing?

nealric

Postby nealric » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:46 pm

I am a tax lawyer.

Why not just do accountancy if you just want a solo tax practice? Most individuals and small businesses don't need the services of a tax lawyer, and you won't attract other types of clients as a solo (absent some serious prior experience).

If you just want to service your own business, a few books on the subject and self study would go a long way. Education is free in the Information Age. It's the piece of paper certifying that education that really costs money.

Renne Walker

Postby Renne Walker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:47 pm

If all you want to do is to pass the bar, just find a school with a high bar pass percentage rate…. it is that simple. If your gpa/lsat is good, you can do it for just COL.

WhiskeynCoke

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:55 pm

So let me get this straight.... You have "learned" about the law school scam and this knowledge has somewhat dissuaded you from attending law school, but only to the point that you've "given up" on trying to get into any school except for the four random schools you listed. You say you don't wan't to "work for anyone" after you graduate, but instead want to start a solo practice, or a business, or whatever.

WTF???

1. What is with those 4 random ass schools you picked? Aside from CUNY and Syracuse being in NY, they have nothing in common and G-town is a T14 (which you said you aren't "excited" about trying to gain entrance into). Colorado? WTF?

2. Why the hell do you want to pass the bar if you don't want to "work for anyone?" Do you know what lawyers do?

3. Law school doesn't really "train you" to pass the bar. You take a bar prep course for that.

4. If you're aware of the law school scam yet still want to attend law school, why haven't you taken the next logical step of either: A: trying to go for free... or B: going T14 or bust? This wouldn't make sense anyway since you don't seem to want a job either way (you need to learn how to practice law before going solo. Law school does not teach you this.)

5. Are you independently wealthy? This is the only factor that would make you both not a troll and not a retard.... well maybe still a retard.

You're best option is not CUNY. It's to stop now.

Shmoopy

Postby Shmoopy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:01 pm

-
Last edited by Shmoopy on Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:03 pm

WhiskeynCoke wrote:So let me get this straight.... You have "learned" about the law school scam and this knowledge has somewhat dissuaded you from attending law school, but only to the point that you've "given up" on trying to get into any school except for the four random schools you listed. You say you don't wan't to "work for anyone" after you graduate, but instead want to start a solo practice, or a business, or whatever.

WTF???

1. What is with those 4 random ass schools you picked? Aside from CUNY and Syracuse being in NY, they have nothing in common and G-town is a T14 (which you said you aren't "excited" about trying to gain entrance into). Colorado? WTF?

2. Why the hell do you want to pass the bar if you don't want to "work for anyone?" Do you know what lawyers do?

3. Law school doesn't really "train you" to pass the bar. You take a bar prep course for that.

4. If you're aware of the law school scam yet still want to attend law school, why haven't you taken the next logical step of either: A: trying to go for free... or B: going T14 or bust? This wouldn't make sense anyway since you don't seem to want a job either way (you need to learn how to practice law before going solo. Law school does not teach you this.)

5. Are you independently wealthy? This is the only factor that would make you both not a troll and not a retard.... well maybe still a retard.

You're best option is not CUNY. It's to stop now.

I understand that this is your Lack of Employment Options talking, it's not really you.

The 4 schools are the only schools that I'm personally interested in attending.

You're just trolling or retarded, if you didn't understand what I meant by "not working for anyone".

I still need a law degree, passing the Bar alone won't do me any good.

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:04 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Do you have any reason to believe you could start your own practice without failing?

No.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:05 pm

Syracuse fails out some of its 1L class... be sure to find out wht the curve is, and what percentage ( if any) flunk out

btw cuse tuition at sticker is approx. 45K per year

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:11 pm

Shmoopy wrote:You need to give more background about your goals. Do you want to own a solo practice? Do you already own a successful business that you plan to return to?

I want a law degree, so I have enough legal training to file different paperwork and understand regulations.

Solo practice would be my goal after graduation no matter where I attend. I don't want to rely on OCIs or the kindness of a job recruiter after graduation to make a living. I already own a service related business that gives me a income. If I had to work for someone, then I wouldn't mind a PI job.

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:14 pm

northwood wrote:Syracuse fails out some of its 1L class... be sure to find out wht the curve is, and what percentage ( if any) flunk out

I need a better LSAT score to get money at Syracuse. Going to apply after June LSAT. Hypothetically, is half scholarship enough to attend Syracuse?

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:17 pm

Troll.

empyreanrrv

Postby empyreanrrv » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:43 pm

So you have your own business that would benefit from your passing the bar? If that is the case you are in a different boat from other people. If you haven't applied yet, keep in mind how much of your degree you'd need to debt finance. Your best bet is probably to go to the cheapest school that lets you continue to run your business. Have you thought about Fordham full or part time?

Shmoopy

Postby Shmoopy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:51 pm

-
Last edited by Shmoopy on Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holynorth

Postby Holynorth » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:51 pm

jas1503 wrote:
northwood wrote:Syracuse fails out some of its 1L class... be sure to find out wht the curve is, and what percentage ( if any) flunk out

I need a better LSAT score to get money at Syracuse. Going to apply after June LSAT. Hypothetically, is half scholarship enough to attend Syracuse?

You own your own business and are aware of your own income and budget. Only you could make the decision if you could feasibly afford it.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:54 pm

Awesome subtle anti georgetown trolling. 175

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:48 am

Desert Fox wrote:Awesome subtle anti georgetown trolling. 175

:lol:

Also, I'm not quite sure why OP absolutely needs a law degree for what (s)he wants to do.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”