What stops people from taking BS classes at a community coll

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
WokeUpInACar

Re: What stops people from taking BS classes at a community coll

Postby WokeUpInACar » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:34 pm

albo23 wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:
albo23 wrote:Off-topic here but I don't feel like cluttering up the boards:

If I apply to law schools during my senior year of undergrad, do they look/ask for my senior grades or just Fresh/Soph/Junior grades?

They will most likely make a decision without taking your senior grades into account, but sometimes if you are borderline they will request your fall grades in the spring.

Leaving the harder classes until the final semester should be a good idea.

This community is really nice and helpful. Thanks everyone!

This is exactly what I did too 8) Good luck and make sure law school is what you really want to do before committing to it!

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:08 am

Took 30 credits that were easy but interesting for my pleasure and gpa booster at a local cc . Brought my gpa up .3 points .. I'm a happy man

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:11 am

You should do it... Specially if they give A+s

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:13 am

albo23 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
albo23 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Cost, time and the chances that some dickweed community college teacher will fuck your asshole for shits and giggles.

And I'm almost positive you could find many more easy A's at whatever RIGORous college you went to.

Not at the same price though.

EDIT: Using ratemyprofessor.com is a crutch for me as well, community college or otherwise.... so no intentional ass-fucking for me.

My school didn't charge any extra for anything over 12 credits. 12 or 20 was the same. So you could exploit that.

Damn. What school is this? This must have been a while ago, no?

That's the same for my school. I could actually take 24 units for the same price if I could get it approved by the dean of students.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:21 am

Protip: All college classes are bullshit, useless, pointless classes.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:24 am

ManoftheHour wrote:
That's the same for my school. I could actually take 24 units for the same price if I could get it approved by the dean of students.

Samesies

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:29 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:Protip: All college classes are bullshit, useless, pointless classes.

Seriously this, guys. And the only reason CC classes are, in general, easier is just because they don't offer that many upper level courses. It all depends on the school.

Also, fair warning:

I started at CC, and professors had no problem whatsoever failing half the class if half the class deserved it. Most students either stopped at the AA or transfered, in which case their GPAs didn't follow them (except, of course, for LSAC :evil: )

At my university, I've had professors on more than one occasion curve or give in and give tons of students better grades than they deserved because they were pressured by the administration. Whether CC classes are easier or not is completely subjective and school dependent, so DO NOT take 18 credit hours over the summer expecting to get straight A's without doing your research first.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:51 am

I feel like all I learned in college was 'how to take a college class'

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:02 am

ManoftheHour wrote:

Man of the hour huh? Always have to one-up me? Ass.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:19 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:I feel like all I learned in college was 'how to take a college class'

lol what school did you go to? but I honestly do feel somewhat similar.

Goblin Tacos

Postby Goblin Tacos » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:09 am

Because then I'd have to hang out with about half of my old high school friends all summer. Had enough of that for a lifetime

scifiguy

Postby scifiguy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:59 am

re: Rate my Professor.com

You have to be careful with that site.

a.) There are more people who post on there that did poorly than those who did well/decent (I believe) in a particular class with a specific professor. I think it's maybe human nature where people are more apt to go out of their way to complain than they are to take time out to give praise to someone.
b.) A page with less than 20-ish reviews may not be very accurate.
c.) Sometimes little things can happen with the way a class is taught that changes the dynamics of things drastically from what the reviews say it will be like.

I know you guys probably konw this already, but just wanted to put it out there as a reminder, because I happened to sign up for a class with someone who got "EASY" a lot in his reviews (albeit "boring" too...), but then the class turned out to be hard because of a new textbook that had ridiculous problems that even the prof. couldn't always solve, nor think that the problems were even worded or interpreted correctly.

It was a nightmare class that looked to be an easy A, but was nothing like that (and for all the wrong reasons - not b/c of rigor, but because of a messed up textbook...and the prof. didn't really do a whole out about that in terms of adjusting our grades much).

If your sole purpose is literally to take a class for GPA bump (I'm not saying whether this is a good idea or not), then still be careful with sites like Ratemyprofessor.com. You may want to "shop" a class for a while and see what it's like (but even then it's ahrd to know how the teacher will grade ...unless you have a graded assignment before the drop period).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”