What stops people from taking BS classes at a community coll

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
albo23

What stops people from taking BS classes at a community coll

Postby albo23 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:17 pm

Hypothetical situation: You entering as an undergrad freshmen as a state university, knowing you want to get into law school after your graduate. Your university and your program are fairly rigorous and you will likely be able to pull out a 3.7 or so.

My question: Is there anything that would stop them from taking bullshit, useless, pointless classes such as Sociology 101, Psych 101, Pre-Calc, etc during the summer just as a LSAC GPA boost?

Classes at community colleges are easier and you have no program to adhere to so it beneficial to go 18 credits each summer boosting your GPA, not to mention the low cost.
Last edited by albo23 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gaud

Re: What stops people from taking BS classes at a community coll

Postby gaud » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:17 pm

No.

albo23

Postby albo23 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:19 pm

Why not? Do Law Schools not notice this? Or are they that focused on their GPA medians?

gaud

Postby gaud » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:20 pm

albo23 wrote:Do Law Schools not notice this? Or are they that focused on their GPA medians?

They notice but don't care.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:20 pm

albo23 wrote: Or are they that focused on their GPA medians?

albo23

Postby albo23 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:20 pm

Well shit, thanks for the info fellas.

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:21 pm

albo23 wrote:Well shit, thanks for the info fellas.

It's also the case that undergrad RIGOR is largely a flame. So, they don't really give a shit.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:30 pm

I'm doing that now. Doesn't matter. Yale may care but that's about it.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:33 pm

Davidbentley wrote:

It's also the case that undergrad RIGOR is largely a flame. So, they don't really give a shit.
Rigor plays a small role in UG admissions I think people naturally (and incorrectly) think that carries over.

As for the OP Just don't take remedial courses. Those dont count.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:42 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:
Davidbentley wrote:

Rigor plays a small role in UG admissions I think people naturally (and incorrectly) think that carries over.As for the OP Just don't take remedial courses. Those dont count.

Yep.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:45 pm

Cost, time and the chances that some dickweed community college teacher will fuck your asshole for shits and giggles.

And I'm almost positive you could find many more easy A's at whatever RIGORous college you went to.

albo23

Postby albo23 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:57 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Cost, time and the chances that some dickweed community college teacher will fuck your asshole for shits and giggles.

And I'm almost positive you could find many more easy A's at whatever RIGORous college you went to.

Not at the same price though.

EDIT: Using ratemyprofessor.com is a crutch for me as well, community college or otherwise.... so no intentional ass-fucking for me.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:05 pm

albo23 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Cost, time and the chances that some dickweed community college teacher will fuck your asshole for shits and giggles.

EDIT: Using ratemyprofessor.com is a crutch for me as well, community college or otherwise.... so no intentional ass-fucking for me.

My school didn't charge any extra for anything over 12 credits. 12 or 20 was the same. So you could exploit that.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:09 pm

Are you talking about just taking some gen eds at the local community college while youre at whatever UG? That happens all the time. Especially at Big State schools.

albo23

Postby albo23 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:13 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:Are you talking about just taking some gen eds at the local community college while youre at whatever UG? That happens all the time. Especially at Big State schools.

No. Take gens eds, core classes, concentration classes at your main school. And then take random, easy classes with easy professors at a local community college that have no bearing whatsoever on your degree process.

albo23

Postby albo23 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:14 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
albo23 wrote:

My school didn't charge any extra for anything over 12 credits. 12 or 20 was the same. So you could exploit that.

Damn. What school is this? This must have been a while ago, no?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:15 pm

albo23 wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:Are you talking about just taking some gen eds at the local community college while youre at whatever UG? That happens all the time. Especially at Big State schools.

No. Take gens eds, core classes, concentration classes at your main school. And then take random, easy classes with easy professors at a local community college that have no bearing whatsoever on your degree process.

Most people would be better off just trying harder at their real classes. As long as you avoid super subjective classes, and super hard science and engineering courses, you should be able to brute force an A.

So if your plan is to have a great GPA, instead of dicking around, you'd just get the good GPA.

Teh school was UIUC. I imagine it's the same now.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:16 pm

albo23 wrote:

Why not take easy classes, core classes concentration classes at the main school. Geneds not related to major at cc....that is the typical route UGs take.

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:16 pm

albo23 wrote:

I pretty much did this, although not on a huge scale, and my cycle appears to be going as would be expected for someone with my numbers.

Schools really don't care as far as I can tell.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:18 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:
albo23 wrote:

I pretty much did this, although not on a huge scale, and my cycle appears to be going as would be expected for someone with my numbers.

Schools really don't care as far as I can tell.

Yeah schools wont care. I just think he'd end up with an easier workload/higher Gpa if he does my route.

albo23

Postby albo23 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:19 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:
albo23 wrote:

Why not take easy classes, core classes concentration classes at the main school. Geneds not related to major at cc....that is the typical route UGs take.

There are multiple ways you can go about this. The main idea is the legitimacy of padding your GPA with community college courses.

I already have 27 or so community college classes, some are beneficial to my degree, others are unrelated. I also have 67 credits at my regular institution.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:20 pm

albo23 wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:
albo23 wrote:

There are multiple ways you can go about this. The main idea is the legitimacy of padding your GPA with community college courses.

I already have 27 or so community college classes, some are beneficial to my degree, others are unrelated. I also have 67 credits at my regular institution.

Yeah totally. This happens all the time

albo23

Postby albo23 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:24 pm

Off-topic here but I don't feel like cluttering up the boards:

If I apply to law schools during my senior year of undergrad, do they look/ask for my senior grades or just Fresh/Soph/Junior grades?

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:26 pm

albo23 wrote:Off-topic here but I don't feel like cluttering up the boards:

If I apply to law schools during my senior year of undergrad, do they look/ask for my senior grades or just Fresh/Soph/Junior grades?

They will most likely make a decision without taking your senior grades into account, but sometimes if you are borderline they will request your fall grades in the spring.

albo23

Postby albo23 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:28 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:
albo23 wrote:Off-topic here but I don't feel like cluttering up the boards:

They will most likely make a decision without taking your senior grades into account, but sometimes if you are borderline they will request your fall grades in the spring.

Leaving the harder classes until the final semester should be a good idea.

This community is really nice and helpful. Thanks everyone!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”