Endowment & Chances of Admission

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ConorM
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:28 pm

Endowment & Chances of Admission

Postby ConorM » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:59 am

I am wondering how much of an influence endowment has on admission into a school. For instance how would a $10,000 endowment compare to a $1,000,000 in terms of likelihood of admission? Additionally, how much of a role does having a family member attend the school influence admission chances? Thanks for any response!

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22882
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Endowment & Chances of Admission

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:34 am

Re: endowment: I don't get it. Are you asking whether it's easier to get into a richer school or a poorer school? Generally speaking, the more money a school has, the more selective it is, sure - there's a correlation. But I wouldn't say that actually influences your chances at admission - your chances at admission are determined by who else applies and where your scores fall in relation to everyone else's.

(For reference: according to this, http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... _scho.html, in 2006 Mercer Law School was in the top 20 schools ranked by endowment. It certainly wasn't one of the 20 hardest schools to get into. Here's another list, more recent though still outdated: http://lawschoolalmanac.blogspot.com/20 ... -2008.html. It shows the correlation more clearly - the TTTT schools are all at the bottom of the endowment ranking, too - but it's not exact; NYU is ranked 24 in endowment, for instance, and Pitt and Ohio State have higher endowments than NYU, Berkeley, and BC.)

ConorM
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:28 pm

Re: Endowment & Chances of Admission

Postby ConorM » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:38 am

Sorry for the lack of specificity. I meant in terms of family donation; how does the amount donated effect chances of admission? Also how does family members attendance at a school improve/not improve admission chances?

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Endowment & Chances of Admission

Postby cinephile » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:39 am

retake, seriously.

ConorM
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:28 pm

Re: Endowment & Chances of Admission

Postby ConorM » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:40 am

cinephile wrote:retake, seriously.


what?

User avatar
Mad Hatter
Posts: 655
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:38 pm

Re: Endowment & Chances of Admission

Postby Mad Hatter » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:41 am

This may inspire my next set if rankings: Average endowment of enrolled students.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22882
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Endowment & Chances of Admission

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:45 am

Oh, so you want to know how much it costs to have your family buy your way into law school? I'm sure it can be done but I'd be surprised if there are a lot of people here who can give you advice on that.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13644
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Endowment & Chances of Admission

Postby Flips88 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:48 am

OP on day 1 of law school: "So, uh, how much did your family give to the school? Mine only gave $1,000,000. Cheap, I know"

Section mates: " :roll: "

OP: "Don't you people have any money?"

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Endowment & Chances of Admission

Postby Ludo! » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:52 am

I clicked on this thinking it was gonna be about something totally different

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Endowment & Chances of Admission

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:58 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:I clicked on this thinking it was gonna be about something totally different

So disappointed.

User avatar
dproduct
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: Endowment & Chances of Admission

Postby dproduct » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:03 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:I clicked on this thinking it was gonna be about something totally different

So disappointed.

ConorM
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:28 pm

Re: Endowment & Chances of Admission

Postby ConorM » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:04 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Oh, so you want to know how much it costs to have your family buy your way into law school? I'm sure it can be done but I'd be surprised if there are a lot of people here who can give you advice on that.


Far from it, I was wondering how much other students wealthy parents who were legacies would influence their admission into school.

ConorM
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:28 pm

Re: Endowment & Chances of Admission

Postby ConorM » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:05 am

Flips88 wrote:OP on day 1 of law school: "So, uh, how much did your family give to the school? Mine only gave $1,000,000. Cheap, I know"

Section mates: " :roll: "

OP: "Don't you people have any money?"


Sorry brotha, don't have much money. Most likely will be relying on scholarships to get through school.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22882
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Endowment & Chances of Admission

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:08 am

ConorM wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Oh, so you want to know how much it costs to have your family buy your way into law school? I'm sure it can be done but I'd be surprised if there are a lot of people here who can give you advice on that.


Far from it, I was wondering how much other students wealthy parents who were legacies would influence their admission into school.

I really don't think this happens often enough to worry about.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Endowment & Chances of Admission

Postby Crowing » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:10 am

I read the UIUC investigation report and they actually admitted a lot of people just based on phone calls from "significant individuals," whatever that means.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22882
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Endowment & Chances of Admission

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:19 am

Crowing wrote:I read the UIUC investigation report and they actually admitted a lot of people just based on phone calls from "significant individuals," whatever that means.

Oh, sure, but that was part of their whole fudging-the-numbers scandal (my understanding is that "significant" meant "state legislature" - UIUC let in people the state politicos wanted let in in the hopes of getting budget advantages). Not saying other schools don't do the same - just that I don't think it's widespread enough to really make a difference (because it just seems to me it would be too much *work* and require being more organized than a lot of admissions offices are).

Even if that's me being naive, and it is widespread, though, it's not like there's anything gained by worrying about it - if that's what an adcomm's looking for and you don't happen to belong to the Rockefeller family, it's not like you can do anything about it.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Endowment & Chances of Admission

Postby Crowing » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:44 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Crowing wrote:I read the UIUC investigation report and they actually admitted a lot of people just based on phone calls from "significant individuals," whatever that means.

Oh, sure, but that was part of their whole fudging-the-numbers scandal (my understanding is that "significant" meant "state legislature" - UIUC let in people the state politicos wanted let in in the hopes of getting budget advantages). Not saying other schools don't do the same - just that I don't think it's widespread enough to really make a difference (because it just seems to me it would be too much *work* and require being more organized than a lot of admissions offices are).

Even if that's me being naive, and it is widespread, though, it's not like there's anything gained by worrying about it - if that's what an adcomm's looking for and you don't happen to belong to the Rockefeller family, it's not like you can do anything about it.


Well what was indicated by the administrative e-mails included in the report anyway was that these admissions due to SI support were the norm before Pless took over. Afterward the got their new dean in 2009 I think Pless and him were in contact about how the SI admits were killing their medians and they essentially stopped admitting people for those reasons. Ofc their goals were absurd anyway and that led to the fake reporting and all that, but the point is the SI admits were pre-scandal era.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Endowment & Chances of Admission

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:26 am

No wonder it is called the T14.

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: Endowment & Chances of Admission

Postby SemperLegal » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:55 am

Crowing wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Crowing wrote:I read the UIUC investigation report and they actually admitted a lot of people just based on phone calls from "significant individuals," whatever that means.

Oh, sure, but that was part of their whole fudging-the-numbers scandal (my understanding is that "significant" meant "state legislature" - UIUC let in people the state politicos wanted let in in the hopes of getting budget advantages). Not saying other schools don't do the same - just that I don't think it's widespread enough to really make a difference (because it just seems to me it would be too much *work* and require being more organized than a lot of admissions offices are).

Even if that's me being naive, and it is widespread, though, it's not like there's anything gained by worrying about it - if that's what an adcomm's looking for and you don't happen to belong to the Rockefeller family, it's not like you can do anything about it.


Well what was indicated by the administrative e-mails included in the report anyway was that these admissions due to SI support were the norm before Pless took over. Afterward the got their new dean in 2009 I think Pless and him were in contact about how the SI admits were killing their medians and they essentially stopped admitting people for those reasons. Ofc their goals were absurd anyway and that led to the fake reporting and all that, but the point is the SI admits were pre-scandal era.


It seems like admitting questionable candidates in order to get more funding or jobs for recent graduates is much more noble than refusing to to do the same so that you have better rankings.

I am actually 100% in support of naming buildings after robber barons and admitting unqualified rich people with wealthy parents. It brings down the costs for the rest of us.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], mema8645 and 8 guests