Dropping your second major at the last minute?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CyanIdes Of March

Dropping your second major at the last minute?

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:24 pm

I'm considering doing that because it 'may' hurt my GPA, and it 'may' drop it to or below my most favored school's 25%. Not at all set in stone (waiting on a test score that I'm pretty sure I made a considerable mistake on), could potentially get it back up but after coming to the realization that I'd still be able to graduate without it, does anyone know if Adcomms would care about this? Also, it'd be my second W (total, and within a year, as I've attempted to do everything possible to achieve a certain GPA goal I've had in mind). Any thoughts?

EDIT: Forgot to say, this is because I have 1 class left to complete it and I'm in my last year. TLS wisdom seems to think Higher GPA > Double Major, and that Double Major is a non-soft.
Last edited by CyanIdes Of March on Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Dropping your second major at the last minute?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:27 pm

Does this even show up on your transcript? W's don't matter.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:27 pm

pretty sure they don't care. GPA is most important.

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Does this even show up on your transcript? W's don't matter.

Yea I'm not sure lol, that's part of what I want to find out. I thought I read somewhere once that the history of when you picked and dropped majors showed up somewhere on the transcript but I can't find that information anymore. And if it turned out to be true, I don't know how anyone would know what impact that'd have on an admissions decision, but I figured it's worth asking anyways.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:29 pm

It depends on what the majors in question are. If you will gradaute with a degree in accounting, and you're thinking about dropping the degree in philosophy/biology/non-pussy major, then you shouldn't drop it. Reverse the situation, and it won't matter... although they will wonder why in the hell you took so many accounting courses.

so, what majors are you talking about?

history of majors does not show up on your transcript unless you go to a crazy school

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:31 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:It depends on what the majors in question are. If you will gradaute with a degree in accounting, and you're thinking about dropping the degree in philosophy/biology/non-pussy major, then you shouldn't drop it. Reverse the situation, and it won't matter... although they will wonder why in the hell you took so many accounting courses.

history of majors does not show up on your transcript unless you go to a crazy school

In what world is philosophy not a pussy major? Except where it doesnt get you pussy?

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:It depends on what the majors in question are. If you will gradaute with a degree in accounting, and you're thinking about dropping the degree in philosophy/biology/non-pussy major, then you shouldn't drop it. Reverse the situation, and it won't matter... although they will wonder why in the hell you took so many accounting courses.

In what world is philosophy not a pussy major? Except where it doesnt get you pussy?

Fair enough... rather than non-pussy, I should have gone with non-professional

Postby 20141023 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:37 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soontobelawschooler

Postby soontobelawschooler » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:30 pm

Last edited by soontobelawschooler on Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill

Postby Bill » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:05 pm

It'll show up on your transcript but in the end, it's such a minor factor (in terms of law school admission standards) that it won't matter.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”